Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:44 AM   #21

Hi
I have been using Picasa for long time with all kind of format (raw also with dng's) but
I have since last week a e-520 but unfortunately the orf files does not appear correctly but just a kind of pink scare !?!?
do you have an explaination ?
thanks
Salva
smagaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:44 AM   #22

Hi
I have been using Picasa for long time with all kind of format (raw also with dng's) but
I have since last week a e-520 but unfortunately the orf files does not appear correctly but just a kind of pink scare !?!?
do you have an explaination ?
thanks
Salva
Old Aug 19, 2008, 4:51 AM   #23

Hi,

Your version of Picasa does not support RAW files produced by the E-520. You'll need to go to Picasa's website and download the latest version of software.

Here is the link:

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...p;answer=53209

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2008, 8:46 AM   #24

Thanks Zig
the changelog says that orf files are supported but I have dwloaded the last release 2.7 Build 37.49 but the orf images from my e-520 are not ok (see attached file)
As you can see the DNG (converted from the orf) and the jpg are ok but not the ORF
any other idea ?
Attached Images

Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:17 AM   #25

Hi,

This is a bit of a puzzle...I use Picasa 2 from time time to pp my ORF Files from my E-510 without any problems.

How are you importiing the files into your PC? Are you using a cable straight from the camera? or are you using a card reader? I know this sounds odd but using a card reader typically is better and less prone to problems.

You may want toe-mail their suppport people and inquire as to what the problem may be.

http://picasa.google.com/support/bin...amp;topic=1034

you may need to temporarily use an interim RAW converter program such as Raw Therapee or Stepok''s raw importer to import the files then save them as Jpegs for use in Picasa.

for the benefit of others, please do post the solutionwhen you get the issue resolved.

good luck

Zig

Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:53 PM   #26

thanks for your advises.
Can you try something for me?
I have uploaded a picture in orf format taken with my e-520 here:
http://www.medialib.org/orf/test.orf
can you please load it and try in your computer how it is displayed by picasa ?

I have read a post on the picasa forum and it seems that the problem is known for certain RAW files
http://groups.google.com/group/Picas...0060a0906ef55e

Please let me know about how my orf files is displayed on your computer.
For the moment I convert all the orf files with the adobe DNG converter.
Thanks and regards
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:54 PM   #27

............I am curious, why not use Olympus Master v2? It should have come with a new E-520; it too, is available as a free download from Olympus http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?special=29b.

Picasa (current ver) will not properly handle .ORF from the E-520 based on your testing and online forum statements about the problems.

RawTerapee (current v2.3c) will not properly handle .ORF from the E-520. I did test it. This software is being rewritten and will not be ready at the next version for some time

The test file test.ORF processes ok with PS Elements 6.0 w/CR4.5 plugin as well as BibblePro v4.10.1 and Olympus Master v2

I will not load Picasa because I have no interest in that application, so no testing of it here. It is obvious in reading about it that you probably will need to find a piece of software that will work for an interim time to when Picasa might process .ORF data from the newer Olympus cameras

As you know, there is nothing wrong with the .ORF data from your E-520. Picasa currently won't handle those data.......... so I suggest a different software approach unless dual processing via DNG is satisfactory to your needs.
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2008, 1:08 AM   #28

Thanks pgmcoder for your input
The reason of using Picasa is because:
- I am used to it since years
- It is really efficient and fast compare to others
- I also have a Ricoh GX100 that produces DNG files that are not handled by Master v2, as far as I have seen.

Well for the moment I am using the file manager within Lightroom 2 and it is quite ok.
Nervertheless I hope Google will process soon the 520's ORF files.

Thanks and regards
Salva
Old Sep 17, 2008, 8:57 AM   #29

I'm having the same experience with Picasa and the E520 ORF files. The interesting thing is,when I first add the folder containing the ORF files to Picasa, I can see the images in Picasa and then, one by one, they turn pink (as showed above). So it's like Picasa first recognize them and then, something in the file makes Picasa not to understand the file content anymore. I tried Olympus Master but I find it very limiting and unintuitive. I also tried Raw Therapee, which provides more flexibility but again, it's very temperamental. Unfortunately my version of PSE is V4.0, which does not support the most current Adobe CR plugin. Adobe DNG converter works, though but IMO, the JPG images produced by the E520 look better. In other words, the E520 is doing a great job converting the ORF to JPG.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:06 PM   #30

Hi Tullio,

If you want a simple RAW converter, you may want to take a look at Stepok Raw importer. You can find it on http://www.stepok.com/

It's a very simple software package that converts RAW (ORF) files to either JPEG or RIFF. The download is free.

Zig