Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:16 PM   #31

Thanks, Zig. Before I download, can I use this software tomanipulate the RAW file before converting it to JPG oris it like Adobe DNG converter, which converts the RAWfile as is?
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:22 PM   #32

That URL does not work, Zig.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:30 PM   #33

Hi Tullio,

Try this:http://www.stepok.net/eng/raw_importer.htm

Yes, you can adjust the image prior to converting to Jpeg.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:13 AM   #34

Hi
I finally decided to use LightRoom v2 that makes a good job and is able to read all the formats perfectly.
hope picasa will fixe this problem soon.
bye
smagaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:22 AM   #35

Hi Zig, thanks for the link. I downloaded the program and was able to convert the E520 ORF file into JPG. Theprogram is very straight forward to use but also very limited in terms of functionality. I did no like the fact that there is no BACK button, so you can not go back to a previous screenand if you clickon the CANCEL button, itcloses the program altogether. It seems like Raw Therapee is probably one of the most comprehensive FREEraw converteravailable but its behavior is quite strange. For instance, if you try to adjust exposure, you move the sliding bar by -0.1 onlyand it turns the image dark. In otherwords,the change is not really gradual. Some times, you move the sliding bar and nothing changes at all. So, a very erratic behavior to say the least (unless, of course, I'm missing something). There is also very little help on how to use the software.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:31 PM   #36

Hi Tullio,

I'm not surprised by your reaction and assessment of both Raw Therapee as well as Stepok Raw convertor. I found both of those converters when I bought the E-510 and learned that Photoshop Elements 4.0 did not support the ORF files from the E-510.(at least at the time it didn't) Having read about the differences between Elements 4.0. and 6.0, I wasn't inclined to upgrade. Basically, I was penny wise and dollar foolish. So, off I went to look for other options. Essentially, I wasn't exactly satisfied with any thing I found.

After a fair amount of frustration, I bit the bullet and upgraded to Elements 6.0 . I was very familiar with 4.0 so stepping up to 6.0 wasn't really any big deal, other than being able to manipulate ORF files the way I was accustomed to.

Having said that, Elements 6.0 does other funky things that I can't quite comprehend. As an example, it locks up for no apparent reason. Not every day but enough to make it frustrating. Elements 4.0 was rock solid-I never had any problems at all.

So, here I am using 6.0 and really don't plan to upgrade - even though Adobe just released Elements 7.0

Good luck on finding the right solution that suits your needs. One thing is sure though, it's not Olympus' Studio Master.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2008, 12:31 AM   #37

I too have PSE 4 and I refuse to spend more money simply to have support for the E520. Although I understand Adobe needs to make money, forcing users to full upgrades just so one can process the RAW data of new camera models are unacceptable IMO. Adobe should allow customers to buy plugins unless there is a great amount of work involved in supporting a new raw format. Let's face it, how much different can the RAW file from the E510 and E520possibly be??? I bet all Adobe needs to do is flip a bit somewhere, which in turn makes their software recognize the E520 ORF file. Luckily for us, Oly owners, the E520 does an excellent job converting the images to JPEG, so in reality, we are not missing much by shooting JPEG instead of RAW. Meanwhile, I will continue my quest for a good free RAW converter!
Old Sep 20, 2008, 1:23 PM   #38

Have any of you guys tried FastStone?

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

Also, here is an interesting chart of available raw converters for Olympus ORF file:

http://homepages.tig.com.au/~parsog/photo/raw-01.html
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2008, 10:37 AM   #39

Thanks for the links, Steven. I've downloaded Faststone and found it very limiting and unintuitive. For instance, there is no option to recover highlights, only to change colors and sharpen the image. I think one of the main advantages in shooting RAW is to be able to recover shadows and highlights. But, it is possible that I'm missing something so, if you are familiar with this software and have figured out how to change exposure and recover highlights, please let us know.

I'm looking at the list of programs that support ORF. Hopefully I'll find something decent (and free).
Old Sep 21, 2008, 12:03 PM   #40

Hi Tullio: I only just found Faststone myself. While I have downloaded it, I haven't yet given it a workout and was curious if anyone had any experience with it.Thanks for the observation about recovering highlights. When I get a chance, I see if I can find any way to work on the highlights, shadowsetc. Oftenwith free software, the instructions and help screens are not very informative, and as you said, freeware is often not intuitive in operation.

I don't do a lot of post processing, and when I do, it's usuallyjust some minor touch up work, so heavy firepower in software has not been that important to me. However it truethat when you need it,nothing beats heavy firepower, even if you only use it once in a while. (If you can keep a secret, I have to admit that I can't bring myself to spend the money on Adobe's powerhouse.)

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote