Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:39 PM   #11

You probably know a lot more about the Rokkor lenses than I do. I've only heard of their qulity. Is there any partictular lenses that are exceptional? I see Rokkor X, MC & MD lenses. Which are of better quality?

DonR http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2008, 6:05 PM   #12

probably a good one to start is a mc 58 1.4, cheap & easy to find. it took the picture above. the 45 f2 is also fun, and will get you into the pancake club.

check here: http://www.rokkorfiles.com/Lenses.html
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2008, 7:38 AM   #13

[align=left]regardingRJ's minolta adaptor for the uninitiated:

this adaptor is different than others because of the small difference in registration. it uses a set screw that needs to be backed out before mounting on the lens.

when the adaptor/lens is mounted on a camera, its about 30° off axis.

with some lenses on some cameras, the aperture lever needs to be trimmed. check this out carefully to avoid damage.

any minolta-4/3 adaptor, $175 or $49,will have these issues.

rokkor 21 2.8

[/align]
rokkor 50 1.2 @ 1.2

rokkor 58 1.4

rokkor 35 1.8

rokkor 200 f4

Old Mar 6, 2008, 8:57 PM   #14

Hi Gwillys,

I've been away for a few days and haven't had much time to look at the forum. Thanks for sharing the photosand your response.

I must say, the image quality coming out of the E-1 along with your "arsenal" of lenses is stunning.

One of my pet peeves with my E-510 is the viewfinder. It is frustrating to get a non-four/thirds lens focused properly(manually). I have about a 50 to 60% success rate at best. What caught my eye when I found JinFinance on Ebay was his listing of an adapter complete with the Auto focus confirm chip. You didn't mention if your adapters have that chip mounted so I'm presuming that they don't.

I've never had an E-1 in my hands but have read that the viewfinder is significanltly brighter and somewhat larger than the one found on the E-500 and E-400 seires of Dslrs. I have to think that these two features have a lot to do with your success rate. Not to mention, the quality of the glass.

Not sure just when I'm going to pull the trigger but I definitley have an adapter w'/auto focus confirm chip on my shopping list.

Thanks again,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:49 AM   #15

hi Zig. the differancewith the e1 vf is night & day. the e3 is even better. im having a hard time getting around to buying a e3 because im mainly interested in the vf. 1600 bucks is alot for a upgraded vf, lol. but thats the way i shoot, mainly with manual lenses, looking thru a optical vf. the simpler, the better
Old Mar 9, 2008, 7:06 AM   #16

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
...I've never had an E-1 in my hands but have read that the viewfinder is significanltly brighter and somewhat larger than the one found on the E-500 and E-400 seires of Dslrs. I have to think that these two features have a lot to do with your success rate. Not to mention, the quality of the glass.
Hi, Zig

It's true that some DSLRs have brighter viewfinders than others, but I don't think they can make as large a change in the viewfinder itself, as the change you getby switching from a slow lens to a fast one. 'Dunno what lenses you're trying to use, but certainly the kit lenses from most manufacturers are very slow, especially at the long end of the zoom.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:02 AM   #17

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Zig

It's true that some DSLRs have brighter viewfinders than others, but I don't think they can make as large a change in the viewfinder itself, as the change you getby switching from a slow lens to a fast one. 'Dunno what lenses you're trying to use, but certainly the kit lenses from most manufacturers are very slow, especially at the long end of the zoom.

Ted

Hey Ted,

Good morning and thanks for the response.

My question and subsequent comment to Gwillys was as a result of looking at how sharp the images he posted were as compared to anything I've shot and trying to figure out where are the differences. ( clearly, capability -his- not mine are part of the equation).

Regardless of what I've done, when I look through the viewfinder and think I've really got the lens focused correctly and then take and download the image into the pc, I find that a large percentage of my shots are blurry. It really doesn't make any difference if I hand hold the camera or use a tripod.

Just as an fyi, I currently have:

Konica Hexanon AR 50mm F1.7 along with

OM Zuiko 50mmF1.8 , OM Zuiko 135mm F3.5 and an OM Zuiko 75-150mm F4 zoom.

You're quite right in that the faster lenses are indeed brighter and quality of the glassmakes a huge difference.Interestingly enough( to me anyways) is that Ihave the most success usingthe 135mm F3.5 lens. The 75-150mm zoom is by far the most difficult (for me) to use and have little success with it. I also find it to be the softest lens. Of the 2 50mm primes, I find the OM Zuiko lens to provide sharper images than the Konica. BTW,I've had theKonica lens about 25 -30yrs as it came with a KonicaFT1 Motor 35mm SLR that I bought way back then.

Quite honestly, my frustrations have more to do with my limitations rather than the limitations of the equipment. My eyes simply aren't as good as they used to be and I have to wear glasses to do anything. To overcome that, I added an ME-1 eyecup onto the E-510. That helps a bit.

Live view on the E-510 is also quite useful, as long as Im not trying to take a candid. of the grandkids or anything moving. I find using Live-view outside, though, to be a bit tricky as the LCD is difficult to see clearly on a really sunny day.

Image stabilization on the E-510 along with the additional firmware upgrade for non fourthird lenses has really made a huge difference for me. Without it I simply wouldn't be able to take any photos without the use of a tripod.

At the end of the day,I guess I should just stick to to using the 14-45mm F3.5, 40-150mm F4, and 70-300mm lenses that I have and simplify my life. but I know that I won't. I'll keep messing around 'til I've got it figured out:idea:.

thanks again

:|

Zig

Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:06 AM   #18

hi Zig,

yep, what you see is not what you get. the vf's on olys other than e1/e3 are not calibrated for manual focus. if you have katzeye install a screen, they shim/adjust it. but then you still have metering/blackout problems.

having struggled with my e500, imo, its not worth it. if you want to use manual lenses, get a e1 or e3. even then it may have to go back for adjustment. i use manual lenses all the time, so its a no brainer to me.

heres a few i popped off yesterday for another purpose. quick & dirty

e1/rokkor 58mm f1.2 - all @ f1.2

@1.2

@1.2

@1.2

@1.2

@1.2

@1.2

@1.2

and this was a mc rokkor 300mm @ 5.6 - handheld

Old Mar 10, 2008, 7:32 AM   #19

Good morning,

Thanks for the info regarding the calibration - or lack of it on the E-510 I didn't know that. I plan ongetting the E-3 or some other version of it in the future. Just waiting a bit for the prices to come down.

I the meantime, you gotta stop showing me these images - you're killing me!

Just kidding

:|

Zig
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:37 PM   #20

ok, just a heads up. RJ at jinfinance has made a fresh batch of his minolta/fourthirds adaptors. and Zig, theres always the katzeye route. it would get you in the game. if you do, get the optibrite thingy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140214587627