Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 13, 2008, 4:49 PM   #1

E3 arrived today and I spent a wee bit of time testing it and from initial indications it is an improvement over the previous body:

* focuses noticeably faster with both lenses but esp so with the F2.
* Hardly any hunting with the F2 at all, so far it nails the focusing first or second time (SAF, centre focus point)
* Took some shots that I know would have caused the previous body to just go OOF - this one with the F2 was able to focus first or second attempt, while with the 14-54ZD out of 5 attempts I was only able to confuse it completely just the once. Did require a power on off to get the camera and lens to wakeup.
* Currently at firmware 1.0

The guys at Parks Camera's also compared both cameras as I had asked them to test the new one before shipping and noted that the new body with a 50-200 F2.8-3.5 was producing notably sharper images at the default settings.

I'll be upgrading the firmware to 1.1, take some shots tomorrow and then more at a fashion shoot on Friday.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:09 PM   #2
OCD

Good luck!
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:36 PM   #3

It certainly would be nice to find out what went wrong with the original E-3.

But more importantly, Oly doesn't send any others out with the same problems. I know I wouldn't want to go thru what you've just experienced.

Good luck!

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:19 PM   #4

Harj,
................I am so happy for you to get the E3 exchange so soon and that initial usage shows improvement to the first camera.

My own experience with my E3 still is that I don't recognize these focus issues, perhaps I am one of the lucky owners.

Last weekend I decided to shoot my first baseball game of the season in jpeg, and that was just a disaster. All kinds of super saturated, contrasty stuff that did not show on the monitor, so I thought things were going to be ok. Wrong was I, thanks to the posts talking of LCD sampling for view at the camera I now understand better why that was.

I did do a hard reset to get away from my messing around with settings, some of which I know I would not remember, so the reset. My E-300 needs a little help with jpeg saturation and contrast, that is why I was checking the E3, but forgot about the sets............ oh well, thanks always for factory resets.

So, back to RAW....for me and really, really, I wish you all good luck with your new E3.

take care,
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:36 PM   #5

That's great news, Harj!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 6:42 PM   #6

Hi Ted, OCD, Zig and Bob

Thanks for the support. Fingers crossed this one is a good one and so far so good. Parks, have been really cool and have stated that if theres a problem with this one too then they'll swap it or do a full refund - very good service.

Cheers

Harj

PS

here's a few pics with the cam - nothign special . factory default settings - just changed to SAF, centre focus:

e3 + 35-100F2 shots

E3 + 14-54:

Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:34 PM   #7

hey Harj
well it seems all is well after all then
hope the shoot goes well too !

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2008, 5:16 PM   #8

Hi Riley

Thanks for the support and advice on the old E3 body. I did the shoot today and the new body worked just a treat with both lenses - so far I've not found any shots that are OOF or front focusing, no lens/camera body comm failures either and I was switching lenses throughout the 2hr shoot.

The focusing in studio with the F2 was really fast, the only negative during the shoot was me - too many crap pics. I shot RAW+Jpeg and from what I can tell the images are razor sharp without me messign about with any PP. The only unusal thing that we noticed was the white backdrop - WB was set to flash but the background has a destinct cast to it and we're not sure why it would do so. The model was superb, the studio was excellent and I'm just a wee bit pissed as I was just in crap pic taking mode. Shooting models is just soo much harder than street/candid photography!

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:53 PM   #9

Hi Guys

Now that I've had the replacement E3 for a couple of weeks I can safely say that this one is a good one although its still not 100% where I;d like it to be.

I've recently noticed in some pics that the cam at times is having a similar focusing issue as the previous cam - focus point in the shot is not where I placed it. With this E3 its totally random in nature, as the following shot will be absolutely spot on. I'll post a shot or two to show you all as soon as I can. Another focus related issue and I think the two may be related, is that I noticed when in SAF and focus point that the AF point would seem to jump from one to another when you pan the camera - you;d see it light up and then as you try and track what you've locked onto you I'd notice that the fp would appear to jump. Just a wee bit strange and I've not tried to replicate it just yet - seems as if its dymanically deciding that the other focus point is the one to use but I could well be imagining it.

The final issue was the falsh WB - which seems to leave a cast to all the images.

I've been in contact with Oly UK support and am going to mail them a couple of sample files which they've requested - one for the WB and another where the focus is out. Other than those issues - Im happy with this E3.

Cheers

Harj
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:07 AM   #10

Oh, no, I am sorry to hear that!

Re 1 and 2 (Random focus error + jump): Some people have noticed that the actual AF focus points not aligned precisely with marks on focus screen. Maybe you could have been aiming "at the edge" of where you wanted first time due to this and spot on second time? [hope this makes sense!] You may want to test this with a sturgy tripod.

re 3 (white balance): This is an issue I have not heard before.

While I am at it: your viewfinder is not tilting horizontally by any chance?

Jorgen
http://jorgen.photoblog.com

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote