Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2008, 7:30 AM   #11

Quote:
(not sure why they need worry about 'daring to speak up'?)
That sentence also tells me that you haven't followed the discussion on the other sites, probably because you don't have problems with your e-3; I wouldn't either if I already owned an e-3 that worked. I have followed the discussion closely as I am always interested in buying new toys (that is, it would be a toy to me as I don't really need a camera with this many virtues, but I would love to have them) and I have had private email correspondance with two very experienced users with e-3 problems.

Nobody knows what causes the focussing problems, nor how widespread they are. It could be poor assembly, defect part(s) or quality control problems. Or it could be bad design, but I find that unlikely as olympus has a fantastic record with regards to the 4xx and 5xx series.

Jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:11 AM   #12
OCD

Quote:
That sentence also tells me that you haven't followed the discussion on the other sites, probably because you don't have problems with your e-3;
Errrm,yes in retrospect I have had no problem with my E3, but until Olympus officially announced there was a fault withmine and many other12-60's, less than a week ago, nobody knew that in itself accounted for and dealt with one of the common user problems. That leaves the last four months of followingand contributing toforums each day on focus problem discussion, and on what may or may not be its cause. Was it the lens, was it the body, or was it when both were together? So don't tell me what I haven't done because I've been there, seen it, and got the teeshirt.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 9:44 AM   #13

OCD, I see what you mean. There are as you know two problems: the contact problem (which you had) and the random out-of-focus shots despite focus confirmation (which Harj had).

The "daring" bit referred to the fact that some of the more loud-mouthed people at other sites actually managed to stop the "mis-focus discussion" by repeatedly tell even well-respected photographers that there was nothing wrong with the e-3 and referred them to shut up and read the manual. Since suddenly noone menationed the focus problem any more, I emailed a couple of people who know their way around a camera and asked if their camera had been fixed: the answer was no; their theory is that there are many more misfocussing cameras out there as many people have not tested their cameras, eg because they only are doing landscape and therefore don't know they have a problem, because they are too inexperienced to test properly or because they decided to switched brand after running into problems. So, when you twice wrote about back-focus, I thought: oh no, not again!

I hasten to say: After having read many other sites, I get the impression the e-3 is an excellent camera. Most people love it, are happy to recommend it to others and would buy another one if they needed one more. I am also encouraged by the fact that Olympus seem to acknowledge that there are problems and are taking active steps to find out what is causing them.

Jorgen
http://www.photoblog.com/jorgen

jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote