Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 20, 2008, 6:16 PM   #1

Just a reminder -for those who may have forgotten,

As found on Space.com:

A total eclipse of the moon tonight is expected to delight skywatchers across the United States and much of the world.

It will be the last total lunar eclipse until 2010.

The easy-to-watch event will play out in several stages as Earth's shadow blocks sunlight from shining on the moon. Weather permitting, the eclipse will be visible from all locations in the United States, according to NASA. Along the Oregon and northern California coasts, the moon will rise during the early stages of the eclipse, however.

When to watch

Eclipses occur only at full moon when the sun, Earth and moon are in a perfect line. Because the moon's orbit around Earth is not perfectly aligned with the plane of Earth's orbit around the sun, eclipses do not occur at every full moon.

The moon will enter Earth's umbral shadow (the full shadow) at 8:43 p.m. ET (that's 7:43 p.m. Central, 6:43 p.m. Mountain and 5:43 p.m. Pacific) on Wednesday, Feb. 20. It will appear as though an ever-larger bite is being taken out of the moon.

Some 78 minutes later, the moon will slip into full eclipse. About 51 minutes later, a bright scallop will appear as the moon starts emerging. It will be completely out of the umbral shadow at 9:09 p.m. Pacific time, which is 12:09 a.m. ET on Thursday morning.

For Europe and Africa, the eclipse is a predawn Thursday event, with the moon starting entry to the umbral shadow at 1:43 Greenwich (or Universal) Time.

I'm not sure how the sky is where you are but it's pretty cloudy here right now

Happy shooting:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:13 AM   #2

Man, I hope somebody got some with their 70-300mm lens - I wanted to very badly, but we had cloud cover for the hours prior to and after. I was all set to setup the tripod . . . but I took this one the night before - just handheld - was really impressed.
Attached Images

Kayceespix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:34 AM   #3

Hi K,

Nicely done especially considering it was handheld. Up here, the clouds rolled out and the sky was actually quite clear but it was about 18 degrees (it felt like0).

Last night's experience with my 135mm OM lens really had me wishing I had boughtthe70-300mm.

Zig

Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4

Hi all,

For anyone interested in seeing the results of my attempts :sad:to get a shot of the eclipse using an OM 135/f3.5 legacy lens coupled with a 2xa converter. Here's a link:

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/photos_t..._legacy_lenses

If I were smart, I would have tried practicing the night before. Chances are the results would have been the same, though.

zig