Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:07 AM   #1

Hey all. My name is Brad and this is actually my first post. I'm new here and new to the E-510 (Just got it for Christmas). Last night was really the most i've gotten to use it and i just had to say how impressed I was with the live view mode as well as the manual focus assist. I sat outside freezing on the deck wondering how i would be taking the same pics had i bought the Canon Rebel XTi or the Nikon D40x Live View sealed the deal at purchase time and did it again last night. One of the reasons i wanted a DSLR was to take pics of the moon. The old point and shoot i have, though it has a 10x optical zoom, just wouldn't focus on it. Faced with the limitation of the kit 40-150mm zoom, i don't think my pics would have even been possible without the Live View manual focus assist. The image in the viewfinder was still too small to properly focus on manually .I havent attached any pics, they certainly wouldn't compare to those from a stronger lens, however they truly demonstrated to me the potential that lies within the E-510. Guess I'll need the 70-300mm sooner than I thought!
Gzuzfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:25 AM   #2

I see no reason why you should not post what you captured. Some of us could not shoot because of cloud cover.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 7:25 AM   #3

Good morning and welcome,

When I got the E-510, I bought it for a number of reasons but Live View wasn't one of them. Since it came with the camera, I just thought it was a nice "throw-in". Well, I couldn't agree with you more. When I set upmy camera to take a series of shots of the moon,I used the 10x zoom feature of live view to get a real good look at what the lens was "seeing" It was simply amazing.In my view, the shots I got wereless than stellarbecause I tried using a 135mm OM legacy lens with a 2xa convertor. But the E-510 with Live View was certainly up to the task.

Last night's experience just reinforces my need for a 70-300mm lens.

Happy shooting with your new camera!!:|

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4

I'm planning to eventually get the 70-300 myself for sports shooting. The kit 40-150 does very well, and did do well for me in a recent NHLhockey game. I wound up croppingseveral as it's easier to do that (shoot a little wider)in a fast-paced game like hockey and later get down to what you want by cropping, but for baseball, where you can set up on a pre-determined area many times, I'd rather be able to zoom in and get the action with the full sensor area.

Unfortunately, like with the recent close conjunction of Venus, Saturn and the moon, last night's sky in my part of Texas was too cloudy to do any good moon watching, but I did get this one in playing with my new 40-150 a few days earlier..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:03 PM   #5

This is one of the early pics. I actually could not get aclear view/focus on the "white" part of the moon for some reason. It just seemed so bright during live view and in the viewfinder thatI wondered ifI was doing some wrong or if there is a trick i don'tknow aboutwhen photographing the moon. I actually based the focus on the darkened part which i could see, and the exposure based on thebright part.After the picture, i would review andzoom on the camera to see how the focus was. Kind of a pain really butit worked ok. Is there a secret to focusing on a bright object? Should I have some sort of filter for this kind of thing?

Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:11 PM   #6

In this one I changed the exposure to bias the darkened area. The whole process was generally an experiment really as i didn't have much to go on. Couple that with bitter coldhere in Maineand not knowing how to get the focus assist to work and all in all I was pleased with the outcome given the conditions. I couldn't figure out how to get the focus assist going for awhile. The owner's manual seemed to be hiding that tid bit on me so i had to turn to Google! Once i got that going, things were better. Still I had no idea what people used for ISO settings and such, so i aimed High, ISO 800 and used a long shutter like 1/4 or 1/3 i think. In reading today, it seems i could have used some faster shutter speeds to good effect. Next time I guess...
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:16 PM   #7

Hi Brad,

If you're interested in shooting the moon, you may want to read a very detailed explanation as to do just thaton www.Wrotniak.net. Look in his photo tidbits section.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:23 PM   #8

Well, here's the last one. I didn't crop it so tight because I liked the stars showing around the moon. These are all cropped JPEG's from the camera. I used the RAW plus JPEG mode but haven't delved to deeply into processing RAW files yet, but at least i'll have them to play around with later.

On a different note, is there a way to attach more than one pic to a message? I couldn't seem to find it....

Thanks, BRAD
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:48 PM   #9

If only I had read that article yesterday. I wouldn't have been so confused :?last night trying to get started. I never would have thought sunny day exposures would be correct at night. What he says though makes sense. I've bookmared his site. Looks like a lot of other good stuff to sort through... Thanks for the tip Zig
Old Mar 1, 2008, 5:25 AM   #10

heres a shot from a day or two before the eclipse.

e1/700mm leica glass

& the best i could get of the eclipse. next time i'll just have a beer.

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote