Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2008, 2:21 PM   #1

HELLLLOOOOOO IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE?............................:O

It's been a little too quiet the last few days on this forum - no one getting cranked up or getting their knickers into a knot. So I thought I'd get your opinions on the E--3 as well as what you think of some of the reviews found on various sites.

Harjtt was kind enough topost a notice about an E-3 review released on DP. So being interested, I read just about all of it - I skipped some of the test results 'cause frankly, after studying pages of that stuff, my mind becomes comfortably numb...but that's a story for another time..... Anyways, while the reviewer gave the E-3 a positive rating in fact a "highly recommended(just)"I came away from that review thinking that if I wasn't familiar with the Olympus brand, I wouldn't buy one.

Another review recently, was released on Luminous Landscape comparing the Sony A700 against the E-3. Again, the review was generally positive but it certainly didn't cause me to want to jump out of my chair and buy one.

After reading these reviews and others, I get the sense that Olympus DSLRs are sort of the "red headed step child" in the DSLR camera world. Reviewers do acknowledge improved performance, but grudgingly it seems. They also mention that Oly lenses are some of the finest available but then are quick to point out, there's not a lot to choose from and did I mention that they're really expensive?

Maybe I'm becoming a tad too sensitive, but everytime I read one of these reviews it leaves me thinking I've made a bad choice buying a camera by Olympus be it E-510, E-3 or E-410. The reviews are positive yes, but the reviewer is basically saying- if your smart you'll choose something else.(those are my words)

However, in my mind, having owned a C-5060wz, an E-500, and now an E-510 I know Olympus makes a great camera. Yes, there not perfect, nothing is but I think they seem to get a bum rap.

So, what do you think?

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:00 PM   #2

Then don't read reviews by tne non-believers...only read reviews written by those who USE the cameras, and who know the TRUTH. Andrzej Wrotniak is one of those people:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/

Just looking at the DPR E-3 review, for instance the reviewer claims the E-510 has a penta-prism while in fact it has a penta-mirror arrangement (many reviewers out there don't know the difference between a penta-mirror and a penta-prism).

And in the cons the reviewer states "Slower than average startup due to the SSWF (should be at power-off / intervals)"...however, it's a LOT less than the time it takes for you to put the camera to your eye, frame and zoom the shot, and move your finger to the shutter release button...by the time you've done all that the camera has finished the SSWF a few seconds ago and you can take the picture.

Those of us who have used E cameras for a few years know the value of having the dust cleaning occur each and every time the camera is powered on.

And just look at the features Olympus pioneered and other brands have now copied, even though at the time the reviewer may have stated that the feature on the Olympus has no value, like two sensor live view (Sony is now doing this).

EVERY camera has its pluses and minuses, but if you want to hear truth hear it from US, those who actually USE the camera!!!

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:29 PM   #3

Hi Mike and Zig

Mike, your reply to Zig's question is nice and to the point. The review at DP was overall pretty good but as Mike pointed out the clear benefits of the E cameras are at times just brushed off or given just a wee amount of praise even though other SLR's don;t have that particular feature or have only just got it. With some reviewers you can never win.

There are a couple of reviewers whose work I really look out for when it comes to 4/3rds camera's and Wrotnaik's is definetly one but the one I am really looking forward to is Sean Reid's (reidreviews.com). He's a pro photographers who over the years has written some of the best reviews (from a working pro photographers perspective). Check out Sean;s reviews of both the E1 and the Panalieca LC1/Digilux 2 just to get a taste of what it will be like.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...x2-part1.shtml

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...s/e1-2nd.shtml

My decision to get the E1 as my first DSLR was based on Sean;s review of the camera, and I'm sure that he'll provide some interesting thoughts on the E3 as a tool in his upcoming review. Also keep on eye out for imaging-resouces review of the E3 - it'll be a pretty thorough as well but more in the standard review format.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:36 PM   #4

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response.

You mentioned in closing:

"EVERY camera has its pluses and minuses, but if you want to hear truth hear it from US, those who actually USE the camera!!!"

That's exactly the reason for my question!!!! I wanted to hear from the Oly community what they thought about their cameras. In particular, what the users have to say about the performance of their E-3s. What they like, what they would change if they could. Are the reviewercriticisms valid?

At the end of the day, I put more value into what the user community says about a given product over what a reviewer might think.

BTW, I love wrotniak's site and visit it regularly. He doesn't get paid to say anything good OR bad about the product he reviews which makes his comments a lot more credible in my eyes.

Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:43 PM   #5

Hi Harj,

Thanks for the heads up on Sean Reid. ( did not know of him) so, I'll be sure to look him up as well as his reviews on Luminous Landscape.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 3:54 PM   #6

Hi Zig

Now that I have a good working E3 I have to say I really like it. Of course I'd have liked it to be the same size as the E1 (if they had managed that I think it would have been a major plus) and thus would also be that wee bit lighter but when you look at teh camera carefully, I can see why it ended up being that size - bigger VF and the articulated LCD are the reasons for it. I'd also have liked for them to have kept the AF lamp and left the on/off switch at the top like the E1 but its definetly growing on me. The studio shot with the new body really helped with that.

Cheers

HArj

Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:22 PM   #7

Harj,

In the DP review, the reviewer commented on the fact that he didn't care for the GUI, thought the 9 pages of menu were too long and too deep, and thought the buttons were too small as well as their locations were questionable. (these are my words but I think I captured what he meant). Now that you've had a chance to use the E-3, I'm curious as to what yourimpressions are relative to the user interface and button locations- is it intuitive? do you find yourself fiddling around looking for the buttons? etc.

I've seen the pictures that you've posted so I know that the IQ is excellent.. Just wondered how easy it is to adjust the camera for a particular shot.

thanks.

Zig
Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:42 PM   #8

Hi Zig

Good question. Regards the Menus and GUI - theyre a big improvement over the E1, although, I do agree that its sometimes one level too deep than it should be but I usually don;t mess about with the settings once I'm happy with what I get, so its not really an issue at all for me.

Button placement, I do agree with the reviewers on this - some of the buttons on the top of the camera are just a wee bit too small, and their locations also a wee bit iffy but for me the main buttons are ISO and WB. I think Oly made a mistake by moving the on/off switch to its new location - the E1's is just perfect and also loosing the dedicated file type and WB buttons, plus the CF/SAF/M switch are ones that I miss - although you can set one custome button and for me thats been the WB.

If your like me and only ever shoot in manual mode than you'll never use some of the smaller buttons at all and digging into the menu is usally just for selecting RAW+Jpegs, etc. There's a lot to the cam but for now I'm just sticking to the basics.

Ted, Riley, OCD and some of the others have had their E3's for several months now, so they're the best people to really give that bit extra feedback.

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:11 PM   #9

Hi Zig

Have a look at this thread - its basically the same question that you've posted regards user comments on the E3:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=36

Cheers

Harj

Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:25 PM   #10

Hi Harj,

Thanks for bringing your December post to my attention. It's clear that at the age of 59, my short term memory:?has failed me. I did indeed read it then and again enjoyed readingit now.

If I again ask this question in the near future, shoot me.

zig