Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:50 PM   #1

It was a great day in the DFW Texas area for high school baseball Saturday.

Here are some photos made with the E3 (shutter priority mode) with the 50-200 ZD, all handheld.

A gallery of the day is here if you are interested.
http://bobbrennan.smugmug.com/galler...hx4j#258209244

1. ...my grandson, Jacob is 15, a HS sophomore and varsity shortstop

2. Jake again..... this swing got him a 385 foot shot

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:34 AM   #2

Hi Bob

2 and 3 look as if they've come straight out of a magazine!

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:43 PM   #3

.......thanks Harj

That is a nice compliment and I very much appreciate your saying that.
____
boBB
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:32 PM   #4

Hi Bob

How did you find the E3 with the 50-200 when shooting the game ? Just wondering about the AF you were and whether you think the cam struggled or not ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:10 PM   #5

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that day was so very sun bright and I was shooting from a shade area in the dugout. I pretty well messed up quite a few shots with this and that EV that I learned later just was not needed. This was a first time ever to shoot shutter priority and of course still learning the E-3. Thank goodness for RAW and BibblePro software.

There were just a few instances, probably 3 or 4 times, of about 120 shots that the 50-200 locked out at the 200 end. A simple shortening and it focused in normal time... which to me is very quick. Heck, my E-300 occasionally locks out focus the same way on any of my lenses at their long ends so this I am not concerned about at all.

For me the E-3 AF works very well and is so quick I am delighted. The first game I used AP with spot metering / single spot. For this game I used ESP, all points.

There were times when odd points picked the focus object and I needed to swing off, focus and come back.... such as a frame of fielder, runner, bag, etc. to get exactly what I wanted. I am sure as I learn the metering setup that suits me best for a circumstance then that won't be an issue. It really was not bothersome but with so many more meter points than the E-300 it is a bit more noticeable.... truth is the E-300 does exactly the same thing but with only 3 points it is pretty simple to counter act to it.

Overall I am pleased with the camera , my proficiency is not at a good enough level to tinker and shoot jpeg. I did one game in jpeg, but the files were a mess... too much tinkering so I did a hard reset and have stayed with RAW and getting to like it a lot.

____
boBB