Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1

.......I am FEELing the want for either the EC-14 or the EC-20 to match the 50-200 way out there! I also have the 14-54 as well as the original(s) 14-45 and 40-150.

I do try to visit some local area natural areas which have quite a lot of wildlife around some very small lakes, more like great big ponds where I grew up in the middle of the USA. But it is water, in quiet settings and there are waterfowl, and animals about, which can make for enjoyable outings.

And I do a lot of high school and summer league baseball games where the converter reach could make for some better results to those 250-350 foot outfielders. Most of the infield frames are of course at 75 to 150 or 175 feet.

So, who has either or both the Olympus EC devices and what lenses are being utilized with the ECs. Do you have some photos that can be shown and/or linked to?

What are the recommendations......?

thanks,
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:05 AM   #2

Take a look at these....couldn't find a better set to salivate over...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26942042
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:58 AM   #3

Thanks Greg, those I've not seen..... the wolves are my favorites, all are very nice.

BTW, it is good to see you using the E-510, great photos from you as always. I still have my E-300, and with the 14-45 it is my lightweight carry around. In fact I used that combo today to shoot some work we have going on here in the neighborhhood.

I was out there 1/2 day and hardly knew I was wearing the camera, I really like that old camera.

The 300 w/50-200 is quite a good combination as you well know and the lens with the E-3 is just about a perfect balance for me, I like the weight of it all, it feels good.

good to hear from you,
____
boBB
boBBrennan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2008, 4:06 PM   #4

I called our favorite candy store today.....Arlington Camera. Bought the 70-300 f4-5.6 Digital Zuiko. I'm gonna drive by Saturday morning and pick it up on my way over to either the zoo or the Botanical Gardens....haven't decided yet where.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 6:42 PM   #5

.........from what I see around that is a really nice lens for all it does and the physical size of it. Be sure to let us see some of your outing.

I would already have the EC-14 from there if the price was a bit more competitive.

Enjoy............
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:12 PM   #6

Well, I took advantage of an opportunity and picked up the 70-300 today. Got an EX-25 toowhile I was there.

In a word...impressive. For a sub-$400 lens with a 35mm equivalent of600mm f5.6, the build quality, zoom action (it even has a MF/AF switch on it) and overall "feel" of the lens is absolutely first rate. Suprisingly, it's "Made in Japan". Did a quick test at a nearby subject...the new Cowboys stadium.

Here it is at the 35mm setting of the 14-42 kit lens..

From the 70mm end of the 70-300..

at 277mm..

and the full 300mm..

Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:29 AM   #7

"In a word...impressive", Greg wrote! ................and these images support that

Thanks Greg, the 70-300 could be a very good alternative to the EC-14 at the same price.

Something to think about, hmmmmmmmmmmm. I guess I just need to go up there and visit with Rick J. one of these first days after the gas lease starts turnin. I need a new day case anyway.
_________
boBBrennan
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:38 AM   #8

Arlington Camera was actually $10 cheaper than B&H in their price on the 70-300. It was $389.99 vs. $399 at B&H. Of course, sales tax took it up to around $420. $20 extra at B&H probably would not have gotten me second day UPS air, so the 70-300 is priced well locally.

With a 50-200 already in tow, I can understand how a 1.4TC would make more sense and use MUCH less bag room, and you'd actually be able to go longer with the 2x. This 70-300 is my limit these days in terms of weight. It's a nice size and easily hand-holdable....I just need to work out my shutter speed limits in the upper range....I really do hate tripods.