Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2008, 9:35 PM   #1

Took the 70-300 Zuiko I just purchased to the Dallas Arboretum today. I also used the EX-25, which works VERY well with this lens..

...but it also does very well on it's own..

All in all, a first class lens. These images and more from this trip are uploaded to my site here, and can be viewed up to full size..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...rVBV#260716618
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2008, 3:56 AM   #2

Hi Greg

Thanks for posting those pics.All the pics that I've seen taken with the lens shows that its a really good lens and at its price its just excellent. As you've had the 50-200 previously how do you think the 70-300 compares - I know you can;t make a direct comparison but I't like to hear what you think about the lenses IQ.

Might have to get one, just for the reach and its size/wieght!

Cheers
Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2008, 11:55 AM   #3

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Greg

Thanks for posting those pics.All the pics that I've seen taken with the lens shows that its a really good lens and at its price its just excellent. As you've had the 50-200 previously how do you think the 70-300 compares - I know you can;t make a direct comparison but I't like to hear what you think about the lenses IQ.

Might have to get one, just for the reach and its size/wieght!

Cheers
Harj

Thanks, Harj,

The two things the 50-200 has going for it are the sealed/build quality and the faster speed. It's a first-class lens...there's no question, in the comperable range, it's the better lens overall.

The zoom mechanism, at least on this 70-300 I have, is smoother/more fluid than the 50-200 I owned. While they both are nice,it's really a high quality "feel" on the 70-300, and the manual focus ring has the same improved quality feel as the kit lenses that came with the E510. One convenientpart of the slower lens isit also uses the same filter size as the kit lenses at 58mm.

The other thing to note regarding the zoom mechanism of the 70-300...it stays put where you zoom it whether pointed up or down. There is no zoom creep with this lens....not even a hint, just like the 50-200.

The bad part about the filter size, at least for filter users, is the front element/filter ring does rotate during the focus process. I'm no filter user so this is a non-issue for me, but someone using a circular polarizor might be a little put off since you'd have to wait until after focusing to make your adjustment.

Both lenses can suffer from focus-huntingwith low light/contrast subjects. I experienced a little of that in some high magnification/low contrastshots when used with the EX-25yesterdaywhere the70-300 started focusing the wrong way and it took a second for it to work it's way back to the right spot, but it good light/contrast, it jumped into focus very fast. When used on it's own without the tube, I didn't have the focus hunting issue.

In everything I've shot so far, the 70-300 resolves details extremely well. One bland resolutionsubject I like to use is this light/electric pole, which is around 1/2 mile from my apartment and just visible above the building in front of my third-floor balcony..

You can see, where the lines meet the pole in the lower line group, there's a lot of detail. The question is, how much will the lens resolve. This was shot RAWat 300mm, f5.6, 1/160 second at ISO 400 with noise reduction turned off and -2 sharpening. Here's a 100% crop of that area..

That's quite a bit of detail. If it were an important image, a little juditious use of noise reduction would clean the above picture up very well and pretty much retain all the detail.

Here, I re-processed the file in Master 2, changing the noise reduction to Standard, sharpening to -1, and added some additional positive exposure compensation to brighten the image up..

I'm sure the extra magnification of the 70-300 compared to the FZ50 image belowhas something to do with the better resolution, but that's the great part of this lens...being able to do this without have to do what you have to do with the FZ50 in either adding an accessory lens or reducing the resolutionwith the extended option zoom option. The image below is a 100% crop, shot as an in-camera JPEG with the Panasonic FZ50 at ISO 100 and f5.6 at 420mm..

For the price....even had it been priced a little higher,I think Olympus gave us a great lens. That it's available at the price I was able to buy it at (with tax, $420US), it's a great deal.

Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:14 AM   #4

Some really nice shots!!! Did you buy that lens locally?? I haven't found a store in Dallas that carries much of anything for the Oly (I have E500).
mctrees02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 11:26 AM   #5

Arlington Camera "has it all...", when it comes to Olympus. I even played with an E3/12-60 while I was at the counter and have been able tocheck outa couple of the more exotic lenses, like the 35-100 f2....wow, that's a nice, heavy lens. Their price on the 70-300 f4-5.6 was $10 less than the online price at B&H. After tax it was probably the equivalent of ordering from B&H and paying between next day and second day UPS shipping charges, but I walked out of the store with the lens instead.

I've also seen quite a bit of Olympus equipment at Competitive Camera on Irving Blvd, but I like dealing withthe folks at Arlington Camera.