Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2008, 7:19 AM   #1

With the down-weighting of the 410 to the420, I see they did not (could not?) add IS. That's too bad, from my point of view. But there is still the E510. Wonder if a 520 is upcoming, that will add the same set of "upgrades" found on the 420 but continuing the in-body stabilization of the 510???

This is really great, as a big potnetial advantage of the 4/3 format is small/light. Oly is certainly delivering on that potential!!!

I find a quite good E-420 overview at Infoborder!
karl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2008, 9:50 AM   #2

Hi Karl

I think we might be waiting for the 520 for a few months. I can easily see it eatinginto E3 sales and whether Oly would like that I'm not sure. definetly interestign stuff happening.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2008, 12:28 PM   #3

Probably the reason for no IS in the E-4xx series (besides marketing) is the smaller BLS-1 battery.

Also in the POP Photo hands-on of the E-420 they let slip the fact if you want IS you have to get either the E-3 or (wait for it) the E-520!!!! So they have an E-520 in their hands as well, but are just waiting for the press release from Olympus to release the article.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 2:14 AM   #4

Hi Mike, can you be more specific about the E520? It could have easily been a typo.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:10 PM   #5

Since Oly has "upgraded" the E-410, I think it's a sure bet that they will also upgrade the E-510 with the same features. When that willhappen is the question.

I find it curious that many folks are complaining that Oly failed to include IS in the 420. Oly probably believesthere is a market segment that doesn't want IS, or especiallyto pay for it since they don't want it. I believe that's a correct assumption.

Interesting to note that the physical dimensions are exactly the same between the 410 & 420 but the weight has gone up by 5 grams.

Here are the dimensions and weights from Oly's site:

E-410

Dimensions: 5.1 in. (W) x 3.6 in.(H) x 2.1 in. D / 129.5 mm (W) x 91 mm (H) x 53 mm (D) (excluding protrusions)

Weight: 13.2 oz. / 375 g (body only)

E-420

Dimensions: 5.1 in. (W) x 3.6 in.(H) x 2.1 in. D / 129.5 mm (W) x 91 mm (H) x 53 mm (D) (excluding protrusions)

Weight: 13.4 oz. / 380 g (body only)

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:44 PM   #6

I was just looking at the Olympus site and they stated that the E-420 has "Digital Image Stabilization" and even showed a pictures with and without the Image Stabilization. Have been looking into the E-510 for my daughter, she wants to upgrade from P&S to DSLR (and I want her to leave mine alone) but wants to stay small in size. Do like the new features on the E-420 and would like to see what a new E-520 may look like.Maybe the E-520 will be out by Christmas, I think we can wait that long.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:45 AM   #7

Hey fellow desert dweller,

Digital Image Stabilization simply pushes up the ISO a step or two so the camera can push the shutter speed up a step or two - and as you know, higher shutter speeds help reduce blurring from camera shake.

http://www.digicamhelp.com/camera-features/camera-parts/image-stabilization.php

I think you're correct in waiting for the 510 upgrade.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 10:14 AM   #8

If IS is important to you, definitely consider the E-510/E-520 (assuming Oly continues it with IS) or E-3.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:48 PM   #9

I did read somewhere, can;t remember where but the reason why the 420/410 doesn;t have IS may be due to the smaller capacity battery that its using . It sound plausable but it could simply be a marketing decision to have some kind of seperation between the cameras.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:10 PM   #10

Actually, the battery capacity was speculation on my part, just as others have speculated that it's the physical size of the E-4xx body that prevents Oly from putting in the IS mechanism. And others still speculated that it's marketing, just like you can't get power windows on some car lines.

Of course we will never know the real answer, it is all speculation!