Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:39 PM   #11

no reason to turn off IS

there's 2 stage IS usage here

even mounted on the tri-pod when you are using live view zoomed in 7x or 10x just touching the focus ring make the image jump around like crazy,

what I do is while using the focus ring, I press and hold the IS button at the same time, this would stablize the live view for me to do the MF

2nd stage of IS use is during the actual shutter release
some of them I tried to experiment with were for longer shutter, in which case even mounted on the tri-pod, the camera is still subject to some wind movement(was a tad breezy last night). leaving the IS on would help with that.

I actually use the anti-shock @ 1 sec plus 2 second timer to reduce shaking due to my hand pressing the shutter(have not buy cable/IR release yet)

the exif for that moon pix was
OLYMPUS E-510
150mm 1/20th F9 ISO100
bitslizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:30 AM   #12

Aloha fellow 4/3 users!

Thanks for the info on the Katz Eye. I've been missing a split prism focusing ring. That might be one of the next upgrades for my camera!

I disagree with the statement that there's no reason to disable the IS while the camera is tripod mounted. I take lots of low-light, long-exposure photography. With the IS1 setting on my E-510 I got lots of hot pixels (sensor noise) on ISO 100 images captured at 3 seconds or more! Needless to say I was bummed!

The second time out I disabled the IS setting (as recommended in the instructions) and captured 40 second exposures at ISO 100 with no hot pixels. Needless to say, I'll be disabling the IS on my long exposure shots from now on.

I already deleted the ruined images from the first time out (too bad, cause they were great Hawaiian moon rise shots!), but I do have one of the long exposure shots to post:

I'm still planning on using the IS while my camera is supported (mono or tripod) durring the day, with my telephoto lens especially. For long exposure, I would invest in a good tripod and trust it to hold your gear steady. Hot pixels oops!

Since there's lunar images in play I've got to throw mine down too. This is a crop from an image taken with my Zuiko 70-300mm. The lens crept down to 190mm, so I didn't get the full focal length out of the lens, but I'm still very happy with the detail. I'll bring a rubber band with me next time.

You can see more of my work at:
http://www.redbubble.com/people/badcat
BadCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:54 AM   #13

that comment i made about leaving IS on was purely for the situation I was in,

I had a short exposure only 1/20 sec shutterin a breezy night that may been shaking the camera a little. Why i decided to leave it on

regarding the hot pixel, I'm not quite sure that's a IS induce thing

a) after using the camera for a while(and its warm) its more likely to have hot pixel, testing with 6s shutter and lens cap on from a cold start vs testing with lens cap on after using it for a while cofirmed this, testing with IS on vs IS off doesn't yield much difference.

b) for long exposure, I always use the Noise Reduction feature (different thanthe noise filtering) which cancel out most of the hot pixel, I think 3 second shutter is notsufficient to trigger the NR, but 40 seconds would trigger the NR assuming its set to on.

nice image btw

I'm also re*****hing into buyingthe 70-300 lens(and maybe also the sigma 30mm f1.4), so from what you said, it seem to suffer from zoom creep when pointing up or down?

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:33 AM   #14

Nice shot. Could you post the lens & exif data for the picture?
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:33 AM   #15

Nice shot. Could you post the lens & exif data for the picture?
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:43 PM   #16

Both shots are great BadCat but the shot of the Rainbow Hilton is definitely my favorite. You nailed it perfectly, to my eyes.

I lived in Hawaii from 1970-78 and was close friends with Claude Horan, the head of theCeramic Dept. at University on Hawaii and at the time was considered one of the top ten ceramic artist in the world. Claude is the artist that designed the Rainbow, fired and numbered every tile in the complete piece of art before supervising the instulation. I forget how many ceramic tile it took to completeit but is was a lot,to be sure. He alsohas works of art commisioned be the State, School Systems and Cities all over Hawaii He was one of the most interesting and nicest people I have ever met.Sadly, I lost touch with him and his wife, Susieafter moving back to the mainland.

DonR http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2008, 6:17 PM   #17

bitslizer wrote:
Quote:
have you tryMF with live view? it allow you to do a 7x or 10x zoom to let you check the focus, the the image stabilization can be used at the same time to reduce the shaking.

I was using this method just last night to take some pix of the moon
Great Pics! How do you magnify while using the MF with Liveview? I've looked all over to find out how, but the answer still eludes me. I was playing with my 35mm 3.5f macro today and just can't seem to locate it in the settings either.

Much appreciated!
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 5:56 PM   #18

when in live view, keep hitting the info button until you see a screen with a small green outlined rectangle overlay on your view, use the adjustment dial to select 7x or 10x, hit ok to zoom in