Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:26 AM   #1

I kick started my creative portraits/fashion/beauty projects yesterday at Adrian Pini's Studio in London. This time - I had a near complete team - a makeup artist and hair stylist and two models. Shot three projects/themes in the studio - all low key with the E3, RAW, ISO 100, F7.1 @1/120s.

Project Sin City - Goldie.

Project Colour -

Project - Monochrome:

Project Sin City - Nancy

E3 did really well - although I'm knackered from doin an 10am- 8pm shoot.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:41 AM   #2

Hey Harj good morning,

All great shots.. my favorite though, is the last one. Combination of lighting and use ofblack white is just right. Something about black and white makes an image timeless.

Glad to hear that your E-3 worked well too

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:43 AM   #3

that is great. must be nice...the best looking things around here are goats. i like 2 & 4 the best, but thats just because nancy is my kinda girl. all your pics are great!

e1/elicar 90

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:26 AM   #4

Hi Guys

Thanks for the comments on the shots. I thought i'd just share the few pics that I PP last night. Still need to work out the best way to do B&W with CS3 I took about 400 shots yesterday and although it was fun to do - the MUA and hair stylists were just excellent and now I know how much difference they can make to a shoot.

Willys, just something about that E1 shot you've posted which just jumps of the screen - just the detail and look of the shot. It something I sometimes think is missing from the E3.

The sin city girls - well I love them all, but your right Nancy is just perfect.

Cheers

Harj

Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:25 AM   #5

......hi Harj,

Nancy gets my vote too for best liked, although I like them all. I am happy for you that the E-3 played well.

Will we get to see more at SmugMug?

Good job there!
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:16 AM   #6

Hi Bob

Thanks for the comments theyre all really appreciated. I'd like some CC as well - if theyres anythign not right with the shots just let me know.

I've put up a gallery for the shoot and its open to everyone for now and as I finish doign some more PP I'll be putting them online . I'll more than likely create a new gallery with a sample of the best images from that shoot which you all can view once I've got more pics on line.

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/gallery/4492514_xppUV

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:00 PM   #7

Hi HarjTT

Nice photo's I like Nancy photo too, but the Goldie shot has somthing too. I like just colour on the lips. would be intresting if lips were blue or somthing emmm

10am to 8pm a very long day. were they many photographers there ?

I take it that the shots were taken using 35-100mm ?

Now that you have taken a few challenges with the E3 does it outshine the E1 in handling and on location, what im trying to say is although I love my C8080 the E330 just outperforms it on location Speed and menu usage, but I do miss some of the dedicated buttons that the c8080 had at side of cam.

Well done on photo's. I look forward to seeing what other people pull out of the bag with there cameras. Even those weird shots you took in market. stirrs the mind.

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:56 PM   #8

Hi Brian

Not sure if the red works all the time with the B&W, but in the film Goldie and a couple of the other girls all had red lips.

Yesterday was a very long day and I've not recovered from it yet. I had the studio for myself as yesterday was a personal project of mine. Something that I've been planning to do this for several months but not on this scale. My original plan was just to shoot one project over a 2-3 hours stint in studio and slowly build up - studio lighting skills, working with models and take it from there. Didn;t quiet work out like that and in many ways I'm happy it didn't. The reason why I decided on doing this was how I could improve my photography skills esp in creative portraiture/fashion and all I could think of was got to night school or plan a shoot.

I used a mix of the F2 and the 14-54, about 50-50 between both lenses. No odd focusing issues spotted so far. Did notice that Flash WB on the E3 says its set to 5500K but in ACR/Lightroom its showing up as 5600 but for these shots it wasn;t a problem.

I'm definitely getting used to the E3 -I've forced msyelf to leave the E1 at home so I can get used to the E3. Some buttons - WB, ISO are just too small for my liking, still prefer the E1's location for the power button and I miss that slight bulge that the E1 has on the right hand side of the camera. Thats what gives the E1 that really nice in hand feeling. They also should have kept the AF lamp but thats not a problem in studio for the E3. I also shoot always in maunal mode - so I don;t miss the PASM button but there are other buttons that are not on the E3 that were really handy on the E1. In'm just having to get used to not having them there and use the menu. The main thing I really like in the E3 is the new AF system being able to pick one of the 11AF points when you need to is reallt handy esp for the kind of shoot I did yesterday. This E3's AF is also fast and very consistent - could never say that about the first E3 and its a lot better than the E1's. Also the bigger VF and LCD revamped menu system are a big improvement over the E1 - really handy being able to zoom 10x to review an image. I've used the articulated LCd a few times but not yesterday and it is really handy - as you know with your E330.

IQ wise - I still sometimes think the E1 produces better files and when I see Willys pic which just jumps out at you, I'm instantly reminded how lovely the files are even for 5MP. However, the shoot from yesterday - the IQ from the files is just as good as the E1's. The detail in the files and with the F2 its like you;ve used a microsciope - every pore, imperfection just seems to jump out at you when face to face you'd be hard press to notice anything.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Cheers

HarjTT
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:15 PM   #9

something interesting: photozone is reviewing 4/3 lenses and are using a panny dmcl10.

"The original plan was to restart the tests based on the Olympus E-3 but I decided to favor the Panasonic L10 due to its weaker AA-filter - after all this about lens testing and not about DSLRs."

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/49-f...eica_1450_3856

i've seen other trusted reports that the dmcl1 has higher resolution/sharper raw files. dang it. iwant the e3's viewfinder & the pannys IQ.

hmmm, i wonder if its possible to swap aa filters.

on the other hand, the panny has FC with manual lenses...

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:25 PM   #10

Hi Willys

I had a wee play with the DMC L10 and it is definitely a nice camera - very good build quality, same articulated LCD as the E3, fine ergonomics and if it had a larger VF then it would have been an ideal replacement for my E1. I wish Oly had also gone for a weaker AA filter - that extra detail to the files can be just knock out just look at the files that the Leica M8 is able to produce. Its going to be an interesting summer as I think thats when the Panaleica pro cam will now appear - I;d guess a newer senor 10-12MP with a weaker AA filter, large VF, etc. If I didn;t have the E3, I would be sitting tight to see what the Panaleica Pro is like, but I'm now pretty happy with the E3.

Cheers

Harj