Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:41 AM   #1

Hi All

Now that I've been using the E3 for a month and have got used to its ergonomics and handling I began thinking about all the reviews which keep mentioning there are way too many buttons on the body. When you first look at it - there does seem to be a lot of buttons but actually there's not that many more than on the E1. The other thing that I've come to realise is that with my setup (always manual mode) the only buttons that I actually use when shooting - are WB, ISO, the focus point button and thats it. Menu settings are the same - now that the cameras set - the only change I make is to switch from spot to centre, etc. and thats it. It may well be different if your shooting in A/S modes but in manual mode I think theyre the only buttons that you are going to use. Hope that helps to clear up "theres too many buttons on the E3".

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:02 AM   #2

Hi HarjTT
Always like to hear thise type of thing from a user rather than a reviewer as I find reviewers biosed against olympus menu and button setup, towards the negitive side. I know my C8080 was a pain at the begining, but the E330 and onwards. I like what olympus done there. I guess it like everything else once you start using it for yourself and find out how you setup and use the camera to the way you shoot photos. After all the camera is only a tool to get the photo.

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:11 AM   #3

Harj .............. I'm glad you just said that !!!

A few weeks ago I thought, "There is way too many buttons/settings on this camera for me to get comfortable about". But I now find that mostly I just use +/- EV which is pretty much 'finger memory' now and of course one of the wheels since I shoot mainly A or S modes and occasionlly a metering mode change.

Once I plain got tired of the curiosity of fidgiting with, looking at and thinking about , menu settings I did 'factory reset', redid a 'few' menu settings and away I am ... just enjoying the camera and learning what is important to me and my style of usage.

I now have time to actually think about important adjustment(s) and usually just use 1 or 2 as you mentioned. I find auto ISO and WB give me results I am pleased about and very seldom bother other than with ISO.

For me the same goes for the LCD, I find now that I mostly use it the same as in the past except I do like the larger sized display and the super menu is great for checkingthe settings and making corrections.

Yep, I'm glad you said it first because I had thought maybe I had reached some sort of learning block and just was ignoring 'all' those other buttons, button combinations and wheels and thought processes.

I surely was not going to make these statements first, but I do concur. There is a button / setting for everyone but since not every one is for everyone, there really are not too many in the end.

Like a TV fast food ad commercial here in Texas finishes, "We gotcha covered"

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:14 AM   #4

Hi Brian

I'm glad that could try and help clarify this - the dpreview review and the field report over at LL both mentioned the no of buttons as a negative but fail to mention that once your setup you hardly ever use most of the buttons on the camera. I'm sure when people read through the reviews and see that X camera has 10 buttons and the E3 has 20+ its going to effect their decision on whether its a cam for them or not. In reality, I'm just using 3-4 buttons and thats it and I'm sure thats the same with many others. Just a shame that some reviewers fail to mention that once your set - the no of buttons becomes a non issue.

As the Myth Busters would say " Myth well and truly busted!"

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:46 AM   #5

pgmCoder wrote:
Quote:
Once I plain got tired of the curiosity of fidgiting with, looking at and thinking about , menu settings I did 'factory reset', redid a 'few' menu settings and away I am ... just enjoying the camera and learning what is important to me and my style of usage.
Hi, Bob

In case you missed the thread where this was mentioned, be sure to make a note about what menu settings you changed, because if you do a future firmware upgrade you'll need to re-enter those changes. The firmware upgrade is equivalent to a new factory reset. Yes, they could design the Olympus Master software to scan and record the changes you made, and (heaven forbid) actually re-apply them after a firmware upgrade. But of course I'm joking...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:55 AM   #6

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
the dpreview review and the field report over at LL both mentioned the no of buttons as a negative but fail to mention that once your setup you hardly ever use most of the buttons on the camera.
Hi, Harj

The April issue of PopPhoto has a review of the new Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III - their new top pro camera body. (21.1 megapixels, list price of the camera body is about $380USD per megapixel. Unfortunately you don't get to choose to have fewer megapixels...)The photo in the review, of the back of the camera shows that it has very few buttons. This tells me two things:

1. Reviewers are apparently used to pro-level cameras having very few buttons.
2. It appears that to change almost anyfunction on that EOS would require at least two button pushes.

I don't personally believe that is an improvement.

Ted

Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:19 PM   #7

Hi Ted

Thanks for pointing that out _ I've not really looked at any images of the 1D MKIII's at all - they just don;t interest me at all. Too big, too loud and too pap! Just had a quick look at the 1DS has 12 buttons + command dial on the back of the camera.

I'm a bit suprised that they won;t have a lot of buttons - I'm assuming that the command dail on the back helps to keep the numbers down by giving easy access to the functions that you need. I;d hate to double push just to get the right option - just seems serioualy wrong if you do.

Cheers

Harj

Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I'm a bit suprised that they won;t have a lot of buttons - I'm assuming that the command dail on the back helps to keep the numbers down by giving easy access to the functions that you need. I;d hate to double push just to get the right option - just seems serioualy wrong if you do.
Well I don't have that $8,000 camera either, I'm just assuming that you have to do a number of actions with the dial to get where you want to be. So it seems to me that having more buttons would be more direct, but I could be (and often have been) wrong.

Ted
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:02 PM   #9
OCD

I use a fraction of the functions on my E3 and a few of the buttons, so it isn't difficult to work out which those are.

Sometimes I wonder if reviewers do go out and make photographs because the default assumption is that every photographer will use every function and every button. There are even switches on my car that I have never used in six years of ownership. But alas on forums (in particular dpreview) you do get people deciding on which camera to buy based on 'how easy is', or even 'can the camera do' functions that they will never use.So this is a good time to knock this on the head and I agree with you Harj, if youneedthe functions operated by thebuttons you will find them.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:44 AM   #10

Forget the E-3 for a minute, consider the E-4xx with the other E's...with most E cameras the arrow keys have functions assigned to them like metering mode, ISO, etc. Now, I rather have functions assigned to those buttons rather than having to go into the menu to access those functions; my personal favourite would be if you could reassign those buttons to different functions.

But to appease those who don't like to use that feature, you can still go into shooting menu 1 and access the button functions there...personally I prefer the choice Olympus gives you, rather than being forced to have to go to the menu to access those features that would normally be assigned to buttons, like on the E-4xx.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote