Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2008, 7:48 AM   #1

Saturday night I made it to another Dallas Stars game, this time vs. the Vancouver Canucks. Again, I took my E510 and the 40-150 f4-5.6 kit lens due to the American Airlines Center's maximum 4 inch length on lenses, precluding my taking of the 70-300 Zuiko.

In past trips I've shot in JPEG capture, using a manual exposure of 1/400 sec at f5.6 with a manually set white balance at ISO 1600. I did all that this time with the exception I shot RAW and used 1/500 second to try and freeze action better. Noise reduction turned off, with -2 sharpening set.

In the post processing, I added back approx .6 to .8 positive exposure compensation in virtually every file from this series, which can be viewed from here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/galler...7KVS#266413216

Here's a few of my favorites..

As you can see here, I had a "few" obstructions to shoot through on the right-hand side of the rink from the upper deck..

A break-away short handed goal. My legs hurt just looking at this..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:29 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

I took a look at your photos on smugmug. A great series of action shots...especially at ISO1600.

It wouldbe interesting to see a couple of before/after PP comparisons.

Also, not ever heard of a lens length restriction before at a stadium. Do they offer a reason?

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:51 AM   #3

Nice shots!

I usually try to get a few canadians playoff tickets each year, just started planning for it this weekend. Was thinking I might need to get a new lens for them to get some decent shots when the time came, but it seems I may not "need" to from the looks of your shots!
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:34 PM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:

Also, not ever heard of a lens length restriction before at a stadium. Do they offer a reason?

Nope...

http://stars.nhl.com/team/app/?servi...97#photography

Depends a lot on the venue down here. When it comes to the Texas Rangers major league baseball team, anything goes, as long as your bag will fit underneath your seat. The Dallas Cowboys have the most arogant policy I've ever seen...

" CAMERAS: You may bring a small, still shot camera to Texas Stadium. However, video cameras and cameras with extended or zoom lenses are not allowed at Texas Stadium."

Part of my fun in going to games is to take pictures, hence I've not gone to a Cowboy's game in years. With the new stadium and the overly inflated ticket prices, they've insured I'll not be going anywhere near the new place.....not that it matters to them.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:11 PM   #5

Too bad about

their not allowing the use of a longer lens. Based on the IQ of the shots that you've been able to get from the 40-150mm,I would have loved to have seen your results using the 70-300mmm

regards,

zig

Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:16 PM   #6

Rileigh wrote:
Quote:
Nice shots!

I usually try to get a few canadians playoff tickets each year, just started planning for it this weekend. Was thinking I might need to get a new lens for them to get some decent shots when the time came, but it seems I may not "need" to from the looks of your shots!

With the quality of lighting in these NHL arenas, the 40-150 f4-5.6does very well, indeed, and I was near the top of the stadium....around 4 rows or so from the highest row. At ISO 1600, 1/400 at f5.6 is easy. I wanted to give a try to shooting RAW, so I upped the shutter speed a little further to try and completely freeze action, which workedvery well at 1/500, and adding back .6 to .8 positive exposure compensation inthe RAW converterworked great.

I did wind up cropping most of these to get as close as I wanted. With the speed these guys move at, it's almost impossible to zoom right in and get the full frame around what you want to shoot.

It also does not hurt to manually set your white balance so each image is pretty much a color match. I just turned on the live view and looked at the various white balance settings while the camera was pointed at the ice, setting the one that looked closest to right. The one thing you need to make sure is to setyour white balance and exposurewhile the lights are "up" to the intensity used during the game. They tend to dim the lights after pregame warmups and in-between periods, which will throw your white balance and exposure settings off if youmake your measurements then.

Old Mar 18, 2008, 6:01 PM   #7

hi greg,
amazing shots as always! great work.

hi zig -123,
i'm here in new orleans, and my 12 year old got picked to play a basketball game before the hornets, well i broght my canon with the 70-200m 2.8 i even put a black sock over it to kind of hide it. i was told for the hornets game to not bring it back in!
anyway, thats how the big leagues roll i guess.

airbrushjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:17 PM   #8

Hi,

Only logical reason that I can think of prohibiting a long lens is that the team owners are concerned that peoplewill come and take photographs and sell them without authorization. It cuts into the royalties, you know.

As for your son, playing ona National Basketball League court must have been a blast. Good for him!!!

Hope you got lots of photos of him on the court.

regards,

Zig
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:54 AM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

Only logical reason that I can think of prohibiting a long lens is that the team owners are concerned that peoplewill come and take photographs and sell them without authorization. It cuts into the royalties, you know.
Actually there is another reason - other fans want to actually enjoy the game and not get hit on the back of the head with a 4lb lens. Imagine someone bringing in their 400mm 2.8 lens

In reality I'm sure its a little bit of both.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:15 AM   #10

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Actually there is another reason - other fans want to actually enjoy the game and not get hit on the back of the head with a 4lb lens. Imagine someone bringing in their 400mm 2.8 lens
Hi John,

Spoken like a man who goes to sports stadiums. Can you tell that I don't?

My experience with going to see a professional sport is limited to seeing the Red Sox play in Fenway Park. Their policy is pretty simple they don't allow anything.

regards,

Zig