Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:41 AM   #11

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
also make sure you have a filter to protect the front of your lense.
Hi, Rileigh

What he means is to add a simple UV filter to each of your lenses. When they get dusty or smudged or (heaven forbid) bumped and scratched, you are cleaning or replacing something that costs a lot less than the lens itself.

Speaking of cleaning a camera lens, there are probably as many opinions on the best way to do that as there are photographers. So I'll sidestep that and state what is more-or-less a consensus among owners of expensive telescopes. That is to use tissue, unscented and made(in the US anyway) by Kleenex - NO other brand. Use Windex as the cleaning fluid - it does not leave a residue. Never apply any cleaning liquid directly to a camera lens - it may leak down into the lens with many results, all of which are bad. Instead, apply it sparingly to a tissue, wipe it on the lens, and use a dry tissue to dry it.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:08 AM   #12

In regards to cleaning lenses you should only use stuff DESIGNED for cleaning lenses, rather stuff that's for cleaning ordinary windows that has chemicals which can damage some plastics (ask anyone who has cleaned their iPod with Windex).

Personally I use a Lenspen for my lenses after using a Giottos Rocket Blower and a brush.

And if you are going to use tissue to clean your lenses camera stores sell special pre-coated lens cleaning tissue that's lint free.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:41 PM   #13

Good advice!

Terpentijn
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 1:46 PM   #14

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
In regards to cleaning lenses you should only use stuff DESIGNED for cleaning lenses, rather stuff that's for cleaning ordinary windows that has chemicals which can damage some plastics (ask anyone who has cleaned their iPod with Windex).
I agree that you shouldn't use Windex to clean plastics. I'm reporting what high-end optical companiesuse to clean expensive glass.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:33 PM   #15

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
Buy a HD to carry it around with you
Hi Terpentijn,

That HD is certainly one of the more stylish camera carrying devices I've yet seen.

:|

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 3:59 PM   #16

HI, zig 123,

Works fine here, brings a lot of comment (on my E3 with 35-100F2) and a lot of nice pictures.

Terpentine
Attached Images

Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote