Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:48 AM   #1

So I just picked up my brand new e-510 (with the 2 kit lenses) on friday. Been having a ball playing with it. It's my first digital SLR. I have some difficulties using manual focus (as I see there's a thread already here about) using the viewfinder, but other then that I've really not had any major problems with it!

I'm curious however and am seeking advice on one thing. What would you guys recommend for first accessories? In what order? I would expect a bag/case would be number on on the priority list. I also think that a tripod would be in order? Or maybe a flash? Extra battery? I'm not sure what would be best from here, so I would like to hear what you guys recommend!

Thanks in advance!
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:16 PM   #2

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase and I hope you have a great deal of fun with your new E-510.

There are a great number of really experienced people that regularly post on this site and no doubt, will offer youtheir insight andwords of wisdom based on their level of experience. Since I bought my E-510, last year I'll give you a couple of suggestions that helped me starting out.

First off, If you havent' already, I would suggest adequate memory an Extreme III compact flash card at least 2GB or better yaet 4GB. They are relatively inexpensive these days. You can pick one upa 2GB Extreme III card onEbay for around 18bucks. I prefer the Extreme III because it will offer you faster downloading and writing speeds.

A second battery is always good to have especially if you forget to recharge the one in the camera.

Beyond that, I suggest you look up wrotniak.net a website offering a wealth of information on your particular camera, take a lot of pictures, and get really familiar with what you can do with what you have. After a short while, you'll be better able to determine what you would likely need or what you're missing.

most of all have fun!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Be sure to post a few pictures .....

:|

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:08 PM   #3
OCD

You can't do much with anything, especially a big CF card, without a spare battery, so get one first thing. You don't need an Olympus BLM-1, the equivalent Uniross VB104295 came out marginally better on performance in a recent test, and at a small fraction of the Olmpus price.

PS. Congratulations on the purchase. The E510 is a great camera, but read up on how to get the best out of it.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:05 PM   #4

Hi Rileigh,

I have an E-510 also - great camera and quite a value with the two lens kit. Others mentioned extra batteries and extra CF cards and I would recommend them also, although I wouldn't get really big cards but rather two or three smaller (2GB) cards. BTW, if wanting to take in-camerapanoramas, you need an Oly xD card. But there are all kinds of application software that can stitch panos together off-camera, soconsiderthat before buying the expensiveOly card.

Concerning a bag, one problem with getting one right away is that you don't know the accessories you'll be getting and how much stuff you'll eventually want to carry around. Also,if you want a shoulder bag or a backpack or some other style.You do need one quickly though, so my suggestion would be to get an inexpensive one for now.

A tripod is a good idea. The decision is how sturdy/heavy. I have a very light and inexpensive one that works for what I do, although not great in windy conditions as it's a bit flimsy. Being light, though,it's no problem carrying around. Decisions, decisions.

An external flash is also a good idea, especially if you take pics indoors. I would suggest an OLY - either an FL-36 or FL-50 depending on how fast you want it to recharge with the 50 winning that contest. Note that the "R" models only work as slaves with the E-510. The reason I suggest an OLY flash is that they communicate back and forthwiththe camerabetter than any other flashes - for me that's worth the extra dollars over non-Oly flashes.

If you're like me you'll end up with stuff that looked good/thought you needed and found you didn't. So unless you're really sure of an accessory, it may be wise to get an inexpensive oneto start out with.

Have fun with the 510.

Dennis
erutcip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 8:49 PM   #5

A quick note on extra cards: I recently picked up a 1GB xD card on sale at Circuit City for $19. I keep an xD loaded in my camera both as a backup to my Sandisk CF, and in case I decide to shoot a few panoramas. But I vote for a backup battery as the most important item to carry with you.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 9:45 AM   #6

Hi, Rileigh

The suggestions above - extra battery and extra CF cards - are excellent. And the suggestion about two smaller cards instead of one large one is also excellent. Flash memory cards do eventually fail, sooner than rotating hard drives in computers (trust me on this). I'd rather not have only one card in my bag. And theExtreme III - type cards dostore photos much faster than Type I or Type II cards, in the 510 (or E3).

In terms of other suggestions, it would be helpful to know what kind of photography appeals to you. For example, you probably don't need a tripod unless you plan to use longer telephoto lenses,or to do close-up or macro photography, or to do long exposure photography. Although a flash unit is nice to have, there are a lot of variations of, and accessories for them. Do you think you'll just want to shoot family parties? Or do more formal portrait-type photos? This kind of information would help us make suggestions.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far! I've been having a lot of fun with the new camera here in spite of some wintery weather this past week or so!

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
In terms of other suggestions, it would be helpful to know what kind of photography appeals to you. For example, you probably don't need a tripod unless you plan to use longer telephoto lenses,or to do close-up or macro photography, or to do long exposure photography. Although a flash unit is nice to have, there are a lot of variations of, and accessories for them. Do you think you'll just want to shoot family parties? Or do more formal portrait-type photos? This kind of information would help us make suggestions.

Ted
As far as what kind of photography I'll be doing, to be honest I really don't know. I'm exploring my options to see what I like and dislike. I've always had a interest in photography, and in fact have even read up on how cameras work, looks at pictures etc before. However I've never really had much along the lines of practical experience doing it.

That being said, based on my lifestyle I can prolly take a few guesses as to where some areas of interest would be. Firstly I'll likely be taking a lot of landscapes (I enjoy camping, hiking, moutain biking etc) and wildlife photos. Secondly will be lower light photos, the main reason for this is because I tend to work evenings a lot of the time and end up on the prowl during the later hours of the night. I also love beautiful women, and have a few of them in mind for some practice portraits.

We had some sun for the first time in about 10 days yesterday. I managed to get out and take a few pictures of the waterfront here in downtown Halifax, Nova Scotia. So I'll try to post a couple here in the next day or two so I can get some feedback.

Thanks again all!
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:53 PM   #8

Hi Rileigh
My 1st purchase were extra battery, and memory for the price they are going for now you can't go wrong I only buy Kingston and sandisk, the price diffrence in cards now are nothing, Sandisk III or better and 133x or better for Kingston. 2Gb and above, and maybay start shooting in Raw. this is when you need lots of memory.
The two kit lenses you got will give you a wide range, just watch when changing lenses I know olympus have sswf but you still must always be carful for getting dust in camera. also make sure you have a filter to protect the front of your lense.

After all this look at what type of photography inspires you and buy stuff to compliment your style of photography. rather than what do I need let frustration when you are taking pics dictate what you need. lol
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:56 AM   #9

E510 is a great camera - also with Sigma 105 macro.

I use it with 4/8/16 GB SDHC-cards - in an adapter for CF

E510 + Sigma 105 macro

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2008, 9:35 AM   #10

Buy a HD to carry it around with you
Attached Images

Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote