Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2008, 2:51 PM   #1

Hey guys. I am a new E-500 owner and I wanted to find a forum to talk about photography and this is the one that I have settled on since it seems to have a lot of info and some pretty knowledgeable people. I was wondering if anybody could offer me some advice on what I should invest my money in as far things to go along with the camera. Id like to get another lens but they are soo damn expensive and I really cant afford one right now.

Also I have started a little site to show some of my photos and would like it if you guys could take a look and tell me what you think, maybe give me a few pointers. Constructive criticism is definitely welcome.

http:\\www.mikemullinsphotography.com
The best pics are under daily photos.

Also I have an external flash as you can see in one of the photos and I was wondering where I can get one of those translucent caps to go over the flash to diffuse the light a bit.

Thanks,
Mike
drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2008, 7:11 PM   #2

Hi Mike,

I looked at your photos and it looks like you have a pretty good jump start on things. The only advice I will give you right now is to forget about buying any more lenses for the moment. Learn the lenses you have right now to the best of your ability and then later on choose a lens that will do what you want and can't do with your present lenses. You will be surprised what you can do with what you have if you take the time to learn them. Did that make any sense? LOL
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 11:25 PM   #3

Took the words from right under my fingers...that was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the opening post. Learn what you got first, and then expand. Some links for learning about your camera:
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/ - tidbits about the camera
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Dell/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-9.jpg[/img]http://olympusdigitalschool.com/ - free online Olympus based camera and photo lessons

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 6:01 AM   #4

Hi Mike

Jim and Mike have nailed it pretty spot on. I didn't get a new lens for nearly 18 months, altough I did pick up an old 135mm f3.5 OM lens about 12months afterwards from ebay.

Nice shots by the way !

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:29 PM   #5

Hi Mike
Looked at your photoes. I see you taking macro like photoes, thise might be next lense you get or mabay just ext tube depending how much you want to spend. also looking at your photo range, maybay a good walk around lense 12-60mm or 14-52mm. but you seem to have got the bug lol. :lol: One thing you will find with olympus there basic lenses are good enough for a very lot of things. as the others said before find out what you do with the lense 1st then buy a lense for the type of photography that you like doing best. eg macro get macro lense, landscape get a wide angle lense, or Zoom for wildlfe or getting abstract images fromplaces you can't reach. Nice to see you and hope we hear more from you.

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:06 PM   #6

After re-reading the original message I wanted to add to my response...you stated you got the E-500, but you didn't say what lens or lenses you got with it...if you just got the one lens (14-45mm or 14-42mm), I suggest you get your hands on the 40-150mm (f/3.5-4.5 preferred over the f/4.0-5.6 unless you prefer less weight with slightly less quality).

Also you asked about the plastic dome that goes over the flash head that diffuses the light...there are several options from the Sto-fen to the Lightsphere, to inflatable softboxes. The thing is you have to get the right sized modifier to fit your flashhead. Where to buy them...any larger camera store should have them, but as you didn't enter your location info when you registered there's no point in telling you about stores where you don't live. But one of the biggest (if not the biggest) camera store in the world B&H Photo in New York http://bhphoto.com definitely has them.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:26 PM   #7

Hi Mike,

Took a look at your photos-nice pics. Looks like a good time was had by all at the Boston Beer Fest.

Based on the EXIF filles, looks like you've got a E-500 equipped with a 14-45mm lens. That's the older kit lens and a good one at that.

I especially liked the night photos of the bridge and dock. If I'm not mistaken, that looks eerliy like the Generel Edwards Bridge in Winthrop?

Everyone has already responded with sage advice, so I'll just say welcome aboard, have lots of fun with your camera and congrats!

BTW, Mike had suggested you look at wrotniak.net and I second that. Lots of really good info on your E-500.

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:19 AM   #8

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I do have the 14-45mm lens and so far it has been pretty good to me. I have decided that right now isn't the time to go and drop some dough on an expensive lens. So after reading around a bit I opted to go with an adapter so that I could use some older OM lenses which are much cheaper. Sure I lose auto focus and a few other things but im ok with that.

Sorry for not filling out the profile yet I just hadn't gotten around to it. I'm from Milford, CT which is right near New Haven. I have heard of B & H but thats kind of a haul just for a cap for my flash but I'm sure ill find what I'm looking for.
drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:59 AM   #9

drumike102 wrote:
Quote:
I have decided that right now isn't the time to go and drop some dough on an expensive lens.
And that's why I suggested the 40-150mm, which is the other kit lens that comes in the dual lens kit (another option to buy the E-500)...you should be able to find a used 40-150 for $139-179.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 6:03 PM   #10

"Sure I lose manual focus and a few other things but im ok with that."

You'll loose auto focus not manual.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote