Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:58 PM   #31

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
What has surprised me most is the broad spectrum of all reactions on this topic, I am learning a lot and enjoy it very much.
That's the thing about photography, there are the sheep who will buy equipment without thinking just because they see pros using it (or some advertisement or pundit says it's the best camera), and there are those who think beyond that into what camera will not just produce but also will be better for them; if there wasn't the latter group we wouldn't be using FourThirds cameras and instead blindly use a Canikon product.

Having worked in construction and buying my own tools I wouldn't go out and buy a hammer just because it's the same hammer that some pro contractor uses on TV...I'd go and buy a hammer that feels good with the right combination of weight, balance, and quality, FOR ME...to me that's not a lifestyle choice; I know I will produce better work if I have the tool that works best for me, and the same goes for choosing a camera.

If you were a pro doing portrait or modelling work (big bucks), you wouldn't even consider a Canikon product or any 135 format camera...you'd look at medium format cameras (larger film plane) and brands like Hasselblad. But then there are pro portrait photographers like Al Gilbert and Jean-Francois O'Kane who do portrait work with FourThirds cameras...they have ignored the hype of larger format cameras, and instead made what some here call a "lifestyle choice" and opted for a different camera than what is expected of them to use in that field, and produce amazing work!

It's not about "lifestyle choice", it's about choosing the best tool that will work for you, and if you choose based on that you will produce better work. People say that for print/image publishing you have to use a Mac because that's what all the pros use...I dislike using Macs, I don't work well with them, and because of that my work suffers...I'm more productive on a Windows machine, I produce work that the end user is happy with, that's all that's important. What are they going to say, "we found out you aren't using a Mac, so we don't want to deal with you anymore?"

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 1:36 PM   #32

Hello Mikefellh,

Thanks for the comment, I love your view on the hammer, it does matter how it feels in your hand, the blows you can give with it. You have choosen the right ting for yourself.

My idea is that we are dictated by marketeers and Pro's who know it all. That stops many to explore the good tings in life. McDonnalds serve millions of hamburgers, but there are only a handfull good restaurants of whom you only know the adress if someone told you! Not even the **** places can match them. Meaning, go for your own experience with your own gear, is that lifestyle? IMVHO yes!!

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 3:32 PM   #33

Mike,

I like your way of thinking. I would just say that much of that process works well because you are already experienced at your craft. For those just starting out or maybe just branching into a new area of photography, to me it makes sense to look at equipment others are succeeding with. Not necessarily the pros (unless you plan on being a pro).

Take wildlife for instance: let's assume someone wants to get started shooting birds in flight. There are a lot of photographers doing that. So to me it makes sense to find people that are doing it and doing it with a degree of success I want and that's the best place to start. It's a great financial risk to jump into a product no one seems to be using. So if you look around the forums and see 20 different people using LENS A for birds in flight (preferably with the same camera body you have)and their results are good enough for you and the lens meets your criteria that seems like a logical thing to choose that lens. Sometimes it isn't just conformity - sometimes a tool really is so good a lot of people are using it because it is good. But again, that's why I say photographs are so beneficial. If I can see other people are getting great results with Camera A and lens B I know success or failure is in my hands - the gear is doing its job.

So for people that dont already have experience you absolutely want to look to those people who are doing it already. That's why forums are so much better than photography magazines or articles. I don't like white papers and forum reviews as I dont find them all that helpful. I find people's real life experiences and field tests more beneficial. That way you're not making a decision based upon marketing hype or even articles but on the results of others. And to me if you're looking for examples of birds in flight with Camera A and lens B and not finding it - that's a pretty good clue that at best the combination is unproven at worst it's been tried and found to be not successful. So for people wanting to get into a certain aspect of photography I personally feel it's good sound advice to : seek out what others before you have had success with. Blaze your own trail with your style and composition, dont blaze it with a choice of equipment no one else seems to be succeeding with.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:06 AM   #34

Quote:
Hi, Mark

If you're looking for a forum with a lot of photos for comment, this isn't the one. If you're looking for the folks who post here to always accompany their question-answering posts with photos, you're also looking in the wrong place, IMHO.

Ted
If there is a forum where one can post photo's, it is this one!

All the others you need a host, not this one. So, this oneis the right place to look!!

Terpentijn
Old Mar 30, 2008, 6:41 AM   #35

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
If there is a forum where one can post photo's, it is this one!

All the others you need a host, not this one. So, this oneis the right place to look!!

Terpentijn
My point was that the Steve's Digicams Forums include a whole section of forums for displaying and discussing photos. The Forums for specific cameras are, I believe, more intended for technical discussions about the cameras (with relevant accompanying photos).

But I do understand that many folks, especially those new to Oly DSLR photography, find it more convenient to post photos in this Oly DSLR forum. And certainly less expensive than hosting a personal photo site like the Smugmug service that many of us use. As long asthis forum has thespace on the server to accomodate a lot of photos, that's fine. I do wonder how long Steve's Digicams Forums will continue to remain free, however.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 8:15 AM   #36

If some one just posts a picture here and some one comments on it then it becomes a technical issue ie you should crop it or try to highlight area x ect.
and a strait forward technical issue or information required is normally given.
I find steves digicam forum very good, as the points already mentioned but the people and the pace of the forum is very good for me, you dont need to go back 10 pages to get to the post you were looking at 2 days ago, like others.
Pro or amature we all come to forums to learn and pass knowledge on.
A community of like minded people thats whats it all about. :|
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:30 AM   #37

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
But I do understand that many folks, especially those new to Oly DSLR photography, find it more convenient to post photos in this Oly DSLR forum. And certainly less expensive than hosting a personal photo site like the Smugmug service that many of us use. As long asthis forum has thespace on the server to accomodate a lot of photos, that's fine. I do wonder how long Steve's Digicams Forums will continue to remain free, however.

Ted
If you sugest that this side is for "New Oly users" I have you known I use Oly since 1964, with Olympus Pen. If you are one of those "Pro's" who know it all and look for a oportunety to boast your ego, go to You Tube or the likes.

I like this forum because a lot of people want to learn and share things.

If it comes to openmindedness, you may learn some here as well.

Terpentijn
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:34 AM   #38

Dangerous Brian wrote:
Quote:
If some one just posts a picture here and some one comments on it then it becomes a technical issue ie you should crop it or try to highlight area x ect.
and a strait forward technical issue or information required is normally given.
I find steves digicam forum very good, as the points already mentioned but the people and the pace of the forum is very good for me, you dont need to go back 10 pages to get to the post you were looking at 2 days ago, like others.
Pro or amature we all come to forums to learn and pass knowledge on.
A community of like minded people thats whats it all about. :|
I am all yours, thats why we are on forums like these. To learn and to share! Craftsmen are those who know how to enjoy life and help those in quest of the same.

Terpentijn
Old Mar 30, 2008, 9:51 AM   #39

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
If you are one of those "Pro's" who know it all and look for a oportunety to boast your ego, go to You Tube or the likes.

Gee, the folks who have been in this forum for a long while have never accused me of being ego-driven or closed-minded. However, when I express an opinion that I don't think this is the best specific forum place to generally post photos for critique, you attack me??? Look in a mirror.

End of this discussion.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:01 AM   #40

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
that this side is for "New Oly users" I have you known I use Oly since 1964, with Olympus Pen. If you are one of those "Pro's" who know it all and look for a oportunety to boast your ego, go to You Tube or the likes.

I like this forum because a lot of people want to learn and share things.

Terpentijn
I'm quite puzzled why you have such a chip on your shoulder.

Ted made the point that if you are posting photos for sharing there are forums WITHIN Steves to post them - wildlife, sports, people etc. And that the Oly DSLR forum is more meant for discussing technical things that are applicable to Oly DSLRs.

i happen to share this opinion. If you have a photo of a portrait and want to learn, why limit yourself to only Oly users. you want people to view and comment regardless of what system they use. You'll get more useful feedback from a Pentax user that shoots portraits than you will from an Oly user that does not.

Furthermore Ted indicated new users may feel more comfortable sticking to just one forum.

There was nothing, absolutely nothing in his post that was egotistical.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote