Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2008, 12:25 AM   #61

a bit of a background before i go into how ?professional? i am. i started off picking a camera off a bum sale (literally) somewhere in manhattan maybe ~8 years ago. i played with it, it was film, then moved to digital. i found i loved, and still do love photography. i have no professional schooling in photography besides high school which was all darkroom, and all of which ive forgot, except for the smell.

i've been reading forums for years and my first DSLRwas the Minolta 5D which was amazing. i found a wedding shoot i could do off of craigslist and was paid handsomely for an amateur, though I spent a lot of time with photoshopping and learning how to make a DVD presentation.

went to a few concerts in manhattan for some bands i volunteered, andwent to the photo expo in jacob javits and found a photographer in grad shoots i could work for. amazingly i knew info that he did not know, though he knows a hell of a lot more than me, its still amazing. also, i worked at my school, a maritime school, and the people i worked for knew almost nothing besides clicking the button, i used my own equipment eventhough their's was Canon.

so i'm a part time amateur/pro and pretty soon will be getting the oly e420 with the pancake lens. i had a voigtlander rangefinder for a while and enjoyed the slim profile it had to offer. then i will get the 12-60 SWD and a flash, and some more for the wireless flash. also, IS is not an end all thing for me.

note - has anyone realized that unlike mostother companies' (i.e. Sony)flashes, the FL36 has BOTH bounce and swivel. i've always used 3rd party (sunpak) but i really think Oly is great without even having had one yet.

honestly i think its easy to get a taste of professional photography, look at meetups for local photo clubs, go to a small time photo store asking around, and with lots of research you can learn it all yourself with fine tuning from the boss.

i've spent hours reading up on others, the pentax 10D and 20D, the sony's, and old models relatively much cheaper now than beforelike the D2X (coming close to a grand) but so far Oly has my eye.

i just landed my first full time job in the offshore sector, i work in maritime operations, and its a 2 week on/ 2 week off gig. so ill be working professionally in the off time and hoping to see some Oly users out there between the canons and nikons orgy.

i'm inviting all the negative criticism possible too.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 8:51 AM   #62

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
i just landed my first full time job in the offshore sector, i work in maritime operations, and its a 2 week on/ 2 week off gig. so ill be working professionally in the off time and hoping to see some Oly users out there between the canons and nikons orgy.

i'm inviting all the negative criticism possible too.
Hi Dork,

Congratulations with your contract. Make the best of it. If you are shooting "off shore" you may need a sealed cam like E3 or E1 from Olympus. Their glass is also very much sealed. My experience comes from riding a HD and my gear in all wether. Olympus has never let me down.

I am not Pro (as I am a retired buisyness man) but sell some pictures on the markets in France. But it pays my "luxurious" taste for nice lenses.

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote