Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:38 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to find out how to zoom in on a subject in Liveview mode (E510),for focusing. I can neither seem to find it in internet searches nor in the manual. If someone could list the steps it would be appreciated. I have the 35mm macro lens, and can't wait to experiment with how it looks with an in depth manual focus.

Much Appreciated!
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:49 PM   #2

Pickwick wrote:
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to find out how to zoom in on a subject in Liveview mode (E510),for focusing. I can neither seem to find it in internet searches nor in the manual. If someone could list the steps it would be appreciated. I have the 35mm macro lens, and can't wait to experiment with how it looks with an in depth manual focus.

Much Appreciated!
When you say that you would like to zoom in on a subject, I think you mean that you want to see the subject magnified by a factor of 10X.

To do that, follow these steps.

1, set your dial mode on top of the camera to manual focus

2, you should then set the focus on the LCD screen to MF. To do that just hit the ok button on you camera. It most likely will highlight ISO100. just use the up and down or left and right arrow buttons to navigate to AF , hit okay you'll then see the different choices of foscusing. scroll to MF hit ok.

3, You can then hit the liveview button to the right of the LCD screen. the subject you want to focus on appears on the screen. You should also see a green box in the center of the LCD screen.

4. press the okay button and it will magnify the subject either 7x or 10x. To toggle back and forth between 7x and 10x, just rotate the control know on the top of the camera 1 click.

5, this will allow you to manually focus on a close up view of the subject. Note however, that it is best to have the camera on a tripod or a table when you first try it to get the hang of it since if your hand holding the camera the image tends to bounce around a lot on the screen. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to focus hand holding the camera.

I hope this helps. sorry if I've given you a lot of information that you already knew.

:|

zig

Suggestion

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3

Hi Zig,

Thanks for taking the time for step by step instructions. They definately answered my question much appreciated!
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:15 PM   #4

Hi Pickwick,

I neglected to add that when you press the liveview button for the first time, you may just see the subject to be photographed. To change the display informationn found on the lcd screen, press the info button and it will toggle thru different screens. keep pressing the info button until you see a green rectangular box in the center of the lcd screen. once the green box is on the screen, you can then press the okay button and the live view will be magnified.

Sorry for the omission.

zig

Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:34 AM   #5

noted, no problem. This feature works great!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:08 PM   #6

Hi,

Glad to hear it.

Live view is one of those often neglected features of the E-510 that really works quite well. It's not designed for candid images. But if you want to get a really good shot of something, it canbe a great aid.

I like to flyfish and tie saltwater flies. I take photos offlies I tie ande-mail them to friends, etc. I regurlarly use live view to make sure I get theimage as sharp as I can.

Have fun!

:|

zig