Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 28, 2008, 9:03 AM   #1

If anyone has both of these lenses, could you let me know how you like it in practice, not just in the lens review lab:-) Before I sink $$ into a lens I would like to maybe see some pics to compare (eg kit lens set to f/3.7 & 42mm pushed to it's limit vs switching to the f/2 50mm with all other settings the same). Thanks!

Tommy O
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:37 AM   #2

yeah I was actually wondering something similar last night. I'm interested in using the F2 50mm in night situations.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3

I'm looking at low-light and macro shots as it's primary use. I'll do some portraits with it as well, but not as much.

Tommy
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 2:57 PM   #4

From all of the reviews on the F2 50mm it is one of the sharpest 4/3 lenses available and I'm sure a step up from the 14-42 Kit lens. There's a couple of issues with the lens that users have pointed out (I can;t remember what but its not iQ realted).

Panaleica are due out a 45mm F2 Summricon OIS macro sometime this year and most probably it will have the SWD/XSM motor fitted to the lens too, so you might want to wait and see what that lens will be like. Pricewise.. it could be spendy but then again it might not.

:O :?
Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 3:37 PM   #5

PLTommyO wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking at low-light and macro shots as it's primary use. I'll do some portraits with it as well, but not as much.

Tommy
Hi,

I recently sold my 50mm f2 macro lens as I found that Ididn't have as much use for it as I first anticipated and I bought a 70-300mm lens.

I can share with you that I had no problems with the lens, it's image quality or it's operation.

For macro work, it was extremely sharp. For portraits, it might just be a tad too sharp, as it is so sharp it will show any facialimperfections.

I had no issue with it in low light conditions, but then I didn't really do a whole lot of low light shooting with it.

If you haven't already, you might want to read a very detailed article on this lens at wrotniak.net.

Here's the link to the article.: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/zd-50m.html

I have a few shots taken with the lens on PBase.com. My username is zig123.

:|

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote