Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 30, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1

Just to let everyoen know that Jeff over at Dcresource has posted sample shots from the E420 using the 14-43 kit lens.

http://dcresource.com/reviews/olympu.../gallery.shtml

Regards reviews - does anyone know why imaging resources.com have failed to do a full E3 review yet ? I'm just really suprised that they still have the E3 preview from Nov still online.

Cheers

Harj

:G :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:10 PM   #2

Hi, Harj

His outdoor photos reminded me of one of the major reasonsI really like Oly DSLRs - that the default contract can be set lower, which is helpful for high contrast sunlit/shadow photos like his. (His photos would have been better if he had done that(smile).

Regarding the E3 review, I wonder if they are waiting to see if the autofocus issue that has been raised on many forumsin the past, has become regarded asresolvedon those forums.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 2:56 PM   #3

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
His outdoor photos reminded me of one of the major reasonsI really like Oly DSLRs - that the default contract can be set lower, which is helpful for high contrast sunlit/shadow photos like his. (His photos would have been better if he had done that (smile).

Ted
Good eyes on ya Ted, I kept looking at the photo of the darkened outdoor corridor with the Sun reflecting off the arches and wondering why he didn't adjust for that. Makes you wonder.

Hi Harj,

thanks for giving us a heads up on the E-420 photos.

regards,

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:28 PM   #4

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I kept looking at the photo of the darkened outdoor corridor with the Sun reflecting off the arches and wondering why he didn't adjust for that.
Hi, Zig

Two reasons, I think:

1. CaNikon DSLRs make contrast adjustment a lot more difficult than Olys (in the sense that you have to do it for every photo, not as a default), so I suspect he didn't think about it because he wouldn't be thinking about that with the CaNikons he normally reviews/uses.

2. I lived in the desert Southwest of the US for many years, trying to deal with 6000 footcandles in sunlight and jack squat footcandles in the shadows (relatively speaking). Giving him the benefit of the doubt, apparentlyhe shoots in California which does have a lot of contrast, but with more humidity so not as much contrast as in arid climates. So he probably hasn't been forced into really thinkingabout those kind of extreme lighting conditions.

Soooo, I think he was shooting some quick photos (which I respect - I do that too) without thinking about the ways Olys can make those conditions better. Still, I would like to assume that his review of the 420 would be based on more thought. To me, Andrzej Wrotniak sets the bar in that pole vault (smile).

Ted
Old Mar 30, 2008, 4:46 PM   #5

Hi Ted,

Well reasoned response. Wasn't really trying to knock the guy, so hope you didn't get that impression. Actually, I omitted stating thatit just looked like something I would have done and then would have spent time trying to correct it.

As for Wrotniak, from one pole to another, he's quite a character. Always look forward to his articles- no matter how dry.:lol:

:|

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:52 AM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ted,

Wasn't really trying to knock the guy, so hope you didn't get that impression. Actually, I omitted stating thatit just looked like something I would have done and then would have spent time trying to correct it.

As for Wrotniak, from one pole to another, he's quite a character. Always look forward to his articles- no matter how dry.

Zig
Hi, Zig

I didn't think you were knocking him at all.

Correcting an image with too much contrast is difficult; it's much easier to reduce the contrast before you shoot. And to methat's one of the most important advantages of digital photography over film.

Andrzej's writing can be dry but he always points out things that make me slap the side of my head and say "Of course. Why didn't I think of that?" Like when he notes thatwhenyou capture an image and then go back and look at it on the camera's view screen, you're not really looking at the 10MP imageat all.Rather, it is a low-res copy of it that the camera created at the time it saved the image. Well of course - the view screen can't display a 10MP image. Seems obvious but only after he pointed it out.

Ted Kurkowski

PS: So my Pole-vault pun wasn't so subtle after all?