Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 31, 2008, 5:23 PM   #1
F2W

Hello everyone,

My name is Phillip. I'm new here, not new to the earth though, been here awhile lol.

New to DSLR but not new to cameras. I have decided that with the new purchase of my E-510 I'm going to get more into it then I was before. I have always taken pictures with my point and shoots and my older 35mm SLR but never went head first into learning the art of photogaphy.

I take a lot of trips on my Bike, alot of offroading with my kids on our ATVs. We live in Utah, which is a beautiful state. So any help will be much appreciated.

One question I do have. I'm looking at buying an instructional DVD for my 510, I have found a couple on ebay that look to have the info I would need to help me move along in my endevor. I don't have time to take any classes do to business/work/family requirements so I thought by buying one of these dvd it will help. Has anyone used one before or have anything to say about them?

I look forward to getting to know people here and learning.

F2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 31, 2008, 6:06 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum, Phillip. I'm sure you'll have a blast with your E510. I got mine back in Dec and after a bit of a rough start, I must say it's a great DSLR. Did you buy the 1 or 2 lens kit? Yesterday I took my son to SF and the E510 came along. Thanks for the compact size of the kit lenses, I managed to fit them all in a small camera bag. Wonderful!

Before you go out buying instructional DVDs and books, visit the following site:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/e510-sett.html#SHAD

This guy knows a lot about the Oly system and has written many articles on the E510. I'd check his site first (have the camera with you as you read through his suggestions and advices). I'm sure you'll find just about anything you need to get a good start.

Have fun and post some pictures taken with your new toy!
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:21 AM   #3

I just recently got an e-510 as well. Not more then a month ago. And my background in photography is probably less then yours is. I have to say that getting a guide or whatever was tempting to me at first as well. But reading these forums and other sites etc has given me a great amount of knowledge on both taking shots and post-processing in photoshop.

Here are some really great photoshop guides.

Moderator's Choice--The Best of Finishing School - Digital Grin Photography Forum

I found that I learned a lot by looking at the pictures people post on this forum and others about how to take the pictures and what makes a good picture and what doesn't. How to take pictures with odd lighting etc.
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:52 PM   #4

Another place to visit to learn about your new camera online for free is:
http://www.olympusdigitalschool.com/

If you hit the "E-system Cameras" link there are E-510 lessons there, and if you hit "Photo Lessons" there are lessons on using your camera once you've learned the basic controls.

Getting to your original question, a jumpstart DVD can be useful if you don't have time for the paper manual...I actually have one for my E-300 (although that company stopped producing ones for Oly cameras since they didn't have that many sales for their E-300 disc, but I've found it not only useful a function that I missed reading in the manual (the DOF preview), but since there are times when I don't have time to shoot and I go a while without using the camera I will watch the DVD before an important shoot just to refresh my memory about the controls that I don't use very often that I may need at the shoot.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:54 PM   #5

Hi Phillip
Wecome aboard, and to Eath although you said you've been hear a while lo:-)l.

The Beauty of digital is you just shoot away and learn. The E-System is a great system the kit lenses are great and small. If you got the 2 lense kit then this gives you a great range. For learning browse through the internet looking at other peoples work that inspires you and try and duplicate it. As we all copy 1 another in 1 way or other, but its that moment in time where you are that makes the picture a 1 off.
Alsoas you get more involved look at shooting in Raw this format gives you more but a little more work also get hold of some good software as the more you get intophotography the more the software takes over. I look at the software being the dark room of old. Time spent in this area can turn a good picture into a stunning picture

Good luck and hope to see more of you in the forum.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:06 PM   #6

Hola Philip and Rileigh!

Glad to have you both on the forum!

I think Mike's pointed you both to the some of the best guides for Oly cameras already, although I do wish there was something similar to the old FZ10's user guide for Oly cameras and the nearest thing to that is Wrotnaiks website.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:52 PM   #7
F2W

Thanks everyone, for the warm welcome and outstanding advice. I look forward to learning and listening ummm maybeI should listen first then learn lol....

I bought the single lens kit, I bought the 40-150 lens and a FL-36 flash. I have taken a couple of shots with it. I have yet to go take any real shots with it yet haven't had anytime but will soon I hope.

I have a couple of High speed cards on the way they should be here by the end of the week, for right now I'm using the cards from my C-8080.

well its late sort of and I'm yawning so off to relax I go

thansk again everyone
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:57 PM   #8
F2W

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Another place to visit to learn about your new camera online for free is:
http://www.olympusdigitalschool.com/

If you hit the "E-system Cameras" link there are E-510 lessons there, and if you hit "Photo Lessons" there are lessons on using your camera once you've learned the basic controls.

Getting to your original question, a jumpstart DVD can be useful if you don't have time for the paper manual...I actually have one for my E-300 (although that company stopped producing ones for Oly cameras since they didn't have that many sales for their E-300 disc, but I've found it not only useful a function that I missed reading in the manual (the DOF preview), but since there are times when I don't have time to shoot and I go a while without using the camera I will watch the DVD before an important shoot just to refresh my memory about the controls that I don't use very often that I may need at the shoot.
Quote:
link for the school is no good the site expired on 3/26/2008:sad: