Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:46 PM   #11

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi All

if you didn't know the 14-35F2 is shipping in the US at least. Now the price in the UK is £1600 = $3400USD which is just seriously spendy
Hi, Harj

Yes, it's expensive. I'm not an expert optical designer, but from what I know about optical design (which is for astronomical instruments/eyepieces more than camera lenses), when considering the long list of optical distortions that have to beovercome it is much more difficult to builda lens in which the zoom and focus movement is totally internal than if the designer isallowed to move the front lens groupin and out. For example, the 14-35mm F2 has 18 lens elements in 17 groups. The 12-60mm F2.8 - F4 only has 14 lens elements in 10 groups;it has twice the reach of the 14-35but the front lens group moves in and out.

Add to that the additional expense of the much larger lens element diameters you need for an F2 lens, and the complexity of maintaining a constant focal ratio over the entire zoom range, and the fabrication tolerances you need to meet the requirement that the lens is just as sharp wide open at F2 as it is stopped down (which we don't know for sure yet but which is likely for an Oly pro-level lens) and the 14-35mm F2 lens is probably not overpriced. (And in another post I showed a list that demonstrated that the Oly lenses are somewhat- to significantly-less expensive thancomparable CaNikon lenses.)

This begs the question of whether the 14-35mm F2 is worth the expense for the kind of photography we do, but I just wanted to note that I'm not convinced that the lens is overpriced for what Oly delivers.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:01 AM   #12
OCD

Quote:
This begs the question of whether the 14-35mm F2 is worth the expense for the kind of photography we do, but I just wanted to note that I'm not convinced that the lens is overpriced for what Oly delivers.

I agree entirely. Oly lens are not expensive in the scheme of things. Olympus are the new Leica when it comes to quality and design of lenses, but as ever to get to that point many things are going inside the lens that are not immediately apparent. and which have to be paid for. But on a simple scale you only have to imagine what a Canon 28-70 f2 lens would cost and weigh ('if' they could make a marketable one) to understand the bang for buck you get with Olympus.

I think Olympus have got themselves into an enviableposition that some of the lenses they are now making will be around for a long time as definitive designs, that will onlyneed the odd tweak (unlike the newdesigns needed on a constant basis from Nikon and Canon). And I predict this will bode well because resources can be put towards brand newdefinitive designs thatexpand the range. In a few years we will be talking about Olympus lenses in similar terms to Leica glass,about subtle user preferences between evolutions of lenses and not in basic terms of good or bad.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:00 AM   #13

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the comments on this. If I were a working pro then I'd obviously would want to get the F2, esp as I've read that its even sharper than the 35-100 wide open and if it is then its going to be pretty special. Do we know if the 14-35F2 has internal zoom because I think I've seen a post on dp showing that the lens extends or am I mistaken. I think for myself the Leica D F1.4 might be perfect, esp considering the price difference - I've just checked the UK price of the F2 and its offically 1699.00 = $3400.00. It'll be interesting to see what the IQ is like at F2 with both lenses in a side-by-sde comparison.

Cheers

Harj

:G :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:53 AM   #14

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi Guys

Do we know if the 14-35F2 has internal zoom because I think I've seen a post on dp showing that the lens extends or am I mistaken.
Hi

I don't know for sure that the focus and zoom is internal, but I can't imagine Oly producing a pro lens that isn't. Moving the front lens group in and out would make it very difficult for the lens to be weather-proof or more importantly for many pros, dust-proof. Also, pros who work under conditions with a lot of vibration (like shooting from a chopper) are likely to be pretty skeptical of the long-term optical alignment of a lens whose front elements move in and out.

Ted

Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:18 AM   #15

OCD wrote:
Quote:
I agree entirely. Oly lens are not expensive in the scheme of things. Olympus are the new Leica when it comes to quality and design of lenses
Hi,

In support of that, the PopPhoto review of the Leica 14-50 f/2.8 - 3.5 stated that its image quality is "superb". A year later, in their review of the Oly 12-60 f/2.8 - 4 they said its sharpness and contrast were better than the Leica.

I never thought I'd see the day.

Ted
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:27 AM   #16

yes, but of course the 4/3 leica arent true leica. reality sets in when you check the leica store @ b&h.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7...es_Lenses.html
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:54 AM   #17

I thought I;d have gander over and have a look as its been a while since I did check out non Leica D glass.. and thought I'd like one of these -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...5mm_f_1_4.html

A snip at 4495.00USD !

I'd be happy with the Leica D's and the Oly's.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:50 AM   #18

me? i want the tele kit, lol. and that 15 looks interesting.

i have a couple old 3 cam r's. 180 2.8 & 350 4.8, around 25 yrs old. they do have a quality i dont get from other lenses. not necessarily the sharpest, but a beautiful photographic characteristic. im sure they wouldnt win any scientific tests, but theresa different take oncolor & contrast. i enjoy using them and always surprised at the results. the 350 was introduced for the 1982 olympics, non designated apo, and pretty darn sharp. works great with a leica 2xtc. makes nice moonshots.

of course the new leicas are in a different class, and i'll neverhave a chance to try any. oh well
but when i start feeling sorry for myself, i can always hook up a zeiss zf :G
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:12 AM   #19

Just had a wee chat with Park cameras who happened to have the F2 in stock and they informed me that the lens does not have internal zoom but extends when zooming. I may just go down and take a few shots with the lens as they also can get the Leica D from Panaleica.

I'd been trying to get some of the old F2 R lenses for my E1 before I got the 35-100 but they just seem to go like hot cakes on ebay.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:16 AM   #20

maybe you could postafew from the 14-35?