Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 5, 2008, 4:29 PM   #21

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Just had a wee chat with Park cameras who happened to have the F2 in stock and they informed me that the lens does not have internal zoom but extends when zooming.
It's hard for me to believe the manufacturing cost of that lens is the same as the 35-100 F2 which does have internal focus and zoom. So I stand corrected - the price of the 14-35 F2 is too high for a lens with a cantilevered front element set. I'll bet the price drops over the next year or so.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 5:39 PM   #22

Hi Ted

I'm just as suprised as yourself about the non-internal zoom. I had thought for all of the top pro lenses this would be a must have feature. Whether the lenses price drops is anyones guess. I can;t see how it would cost more than the 35-100 to manufacturer.

The Leica D is currently 1/3 the price of the F2 in GBP and its mighty tempting in USD if it were ordered from B&H.

If I get the chance to get to Parks I will definitely do a side by side comparison with the Leica D.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 7:19 PM   #23

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
yes, but of course the 4/3 leica arent true leica. reality sets in when you check the leica store @ b&h.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/7...es_Lenses.html
Jeeez - let's not open that Pandora's box. Oooops - you did (grin)

I guess it depends on whether "true Leica" means "total quality", "optical quality", "mechanical quality", "location of manufacture", or "price".

For decades Leica-Germany had assertedthat it's not possible to manufacture a zoom lens that meets their quality standards. Yet the B&W listing includes a few, which aren't all that unreasonably priced except they are manual focus, etc., etc. So their "total quality" standard is not clear.

The Pana-Leica lenses are Leica optical designs, manufactured in Japan under the supervision of Leica engineers on-site. I can personally tell you that the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens is superb and certainly meets Leica's "optical quality" standards. I presume that for the price it includes plastic mechanical components, and it doesn't have internal focus/zoom, so it isn't Leica-Germany "mechanical quality". Nor does it sell fora Leica-Germany-manufactured price. Is it a true Leica? To me it is, in the same sense that the lower-price Bimmers are true Bimmers every bit as much as a $USD 0.3millionMaybach (neither of which would I purchase even if I had the money since Germany can't really manufacture a car that doesn't break all the time, but that's a different subject).

I do understand that some folks don't consider Japanese-made Leica lenses to be true Leicas. I really do disagree, but I do understand the opposite point of view. Nevertheless, dollar-per-dollar, OCD is right - Olyhas overtaken Leica as the optical quality leaderwithin the "35mm-equivalent" optical format lens manufacturers.

Anyway, if you want to open a discussion about the whether the most expensive camera body/lens systemis the goal to shoot for, you'd have to be talking about Hasselblad. And no way am I about to participate in that discussion (grin).

Ted
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:31 PM   #24

Japanese-made Leica lenses? they are panasonic products. like what is on my 3ccd panasonic mini dv. nice, but not the same class. not even close build wise.

then theres the old leica/minolta liaison...

but this is a silly discussion, so i'll just agree to disagree

....dont get me wrong, the leica 25 is a great lens and i consider it a bargain at $800. and im very glad they are producing the line.

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 2:46 AM   #25
OCD

Quote:
Japanese-made Leica lenses?

As a long time Leica user I am quite used to top quality Leica lenses that have been made in Germany, Portugal, or Canada..... ;-)

HarjTT, the cheapest 14-35 I have seen in stock in the UK is £1350 at an Ebay store.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 6:56 AM   #26

heres a 14-35 gallery from someone over at dpr

http://www.donaldingram.com/ZD1435test1/index.htm
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:45 AM   #27

maybe i missed it but nobody has mentioned the sigma 30mm f1.4 . it has 2 reviews on bh and thats about all i can find, but theyre positive. still the reputation of the sigma vs leica is that off opposites but the price is less than half a grand!
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:15 PM   #28

Here's possibly the first review of the 14-35 (again posted by someone at dpr).

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3412

From all accounts its a very good lens indeed just seriously spendy and also big even on the E3. Here's a pic :

Still can;t understand why its not an internal zoom, like the other top pro glass.

From everything I've read on the Sigma F1.4 its a good lens but its not as good as the Leica D which I'm sure Gwillys will tell you is sharp wide open at F1.4, focuses quickly and accurately and is very well made - even better than the 14-50 Leica D. There's also been no QC issues with the D so chances are that you won;t have to worry about returning the lens for another. Don;t get my wrong for the money 30mm F1.4 is a very good bit of glass but I'd rather just spend (when I have it) that wee bit more on the D which is even better.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:15 PM   #29

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Here's possibly the first review of the 14-35 (again posted by someone at dpr).

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...sp?newsID=3412

From all accounts its a very good lens indeed just seriously spendy and also big even on the E3.
Harj, I'm beginning to think you are an evil person. I was perfectly happy with the goal of scraping together the money to get the Leica 25mm, except I was wishing for some zoom around that focalrange. Now you've got me lusting after the 14-35. The problem is, a divorce is likely to be even more expensive than that Oly lens...

(grin)

Ted

Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:09 AM   #30

Ted, if you do buy the 14-35, I'd like the honour of testing it for you, esp as I don;t have a problem taking the blame!

On a serious note - the lens looks very good but the price is just ouch> Now Oly are evil in that they've made such a beastie and then slapped such a price tag on it! The only way i would get it, is if I was getting paid to shoot and needed it. I'm aiming for the Leica - that extra stop of light, esp if your shooting in low light is going to be really useful and if needed I'll use my feet to zoom in a wee bit.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?