Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:18 PM   #1

Hi All

if you didn't know the 14-35F2 is shipping in the US at least. Now the price in the UK is £1600 = $3400USD which is just seriously spendy and raises the question is it worth spendy that kind of cash on this particular lens ? If its as good and sharp as the 35-100F2 then I can see why some people would want to have it - full length portraits, head and shoulder shots etc esp in studio would be stunning. However, i started thinking about the leica D 25mm F1.4 as a replacement to the F2. Its a whole stop faster, is practically razor sharp wide open, has a really nice bokeh and can be had for anything between 1/2 to 1/4 of the price of the F2. Its not a zoom and doesn't have the focal length of the F2, nor is it weather proof or have SWD/XMS, but inside in a studio or outside on a nice day would that even matter ? Is the Leica D the better lens to get over the F2 ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:26 PM   #2

hi Harj

the 14-35 is2,299usd @ amazon. if money werent an object, it would be nice. surely a unique lens.

i have the 11-22, 14-54 & leica 25 and feel set well enough not to spend that much. i suppose the 14-35 will turn out to be a amazing lens, but i'd rather see oly come out with a couple more high end wide primes. and break the f2 barrier.

anythings possible, but it would be very surprising to see the leica bested by the zuiko. if i was going to spend that kind of money on glass, i'd buy a couple more zeiss lenses. like the 25 & 100 zf.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:59 AM   #3
OCD

I have a very similar dilemma.

A week ago I wason the verge of buyingthe Leica D, wanting a standard lens with a wide aperture. But then foolishly started to think about the 14-35mm.

From my point of view as mainly a landscape photographer the 14-35's problem comes with the overlap with other Oly lenses. I carry the 'standard kit' of a 12-60 and a 50-200 and I couldn't imagine carrying another big zoom to get the faster speed, and neither could I imagine leaving the super useful 12-60 behind. With the Leica 25mm I could imagine carrying it around with the others, the extra stop would be better, and the focal length is bang on where I want it. And presumably as a prime it will still be better at f2 than the 14-35mm at f2, which is my main concern, image quality at the faster end. But, when I look at my EXIF files the vast majority of pictures are taken in the 14-35mm range, neither super wide nor super long!

So, I can't decide. What would swing it for me big time is if I was more a people photographer, where the 14-35mm is the focal range that could be used for everything, from groups to portraits. Maybe I have just answered my own dilemma, but I would love the 14-35.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:58 AM   #4

it will be interesting to see how the 14-35 fares as far as barrel distortion. i dont think i'd look at it as a portrait lens - if anything, i like a little pincushion for that. the leica 25 is not good for close-ups/headshots. i have an old rokkor 58 1.4 thats just about perfect for portraits because of a little pincushion distortion. makes for complimentary portraits.

lens distortion thru the zoom range would bethe primary factor for me. be interesting to see what oly has done with it. i'll wait for photozones test.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:59 AM   #5

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi All

if you didn't know the 14-35F2 is shipping in the US at least. Now the price in the UK is £1600 = $3400USD which is just seriously spendy and raises the question is it worth spendy that kind of cash on this particular lens ? If its as good and sharp as the 35-100F2 then I can see why some people would want to have it - full length portraits, head and shoulder shots etc esp in studio would be stunning. However, i started thinking about the leica D 25mm F1.4 as a replacement to the F2. Its a whole stop faster, is practically razor sharp wide open, has a really nice bokeh and can be had for anything between 1/2 to 1/4 of the price of the F2. Its not a zoom and doesn't have the focal length of the F2, nor is it weather proof or have SWD/XMS, but inside in a studio or outside on a nice day would that even matter ? Is the Leica D the better lens to get over the F2 ?

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
$3,400 would be enough to completely eliminate the possibility of one for me in my lifetime!

If I were a working pro and the lens made a difference in images I shot at those focal lengths, I would find a way to buy it. In my position, the 14-54 f2.8-3.5 looks plenty good!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:19 AM   #6

its 'only' $2,299 @ amazon.

if i have time later, i'll post a couple shots from the leica 25 & others to show some comparison.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:49 AM   #7
Administrator

Same at B&H ($2299.95). But, they're still showing it as out of stock.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:49 PM   #8

Hi Guys:

I know it's notan f1.4 or f2, but have you looked at the new Zuiko 25mm f2.8 that was just announced with the E420? It's only 23.5mm thick. It's so slim you could easily drop inintoyour shirt pocket as you're walking out the door with your camera. It'scompatible with both the EC-20 and EC-14 teleconverters, and it only weighs 95 grams.

(I'm always looking to save weight in the equipmentwhich is carried around all day.)

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:47 PM   #9
OCD

Quote:
25mm f2.4
.....f2.8, so knock a stop off before it starts to perform and that makes it an f4. Its a great idea, and I am going to getthe 25mm f2.8 pancakewith the E420 when it is on sale in the UK, but it just will not be the same animal as either the Oly 14-35mm f2or the Leica 25mm f1.4prime.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:50 PM   #10

made in china, only costs 200 bucks, too slow, too much dof, no snob appeal. probably be a blast on a 420/520 & silly on a e3, lol. my e1 looks pretty funny with pancakes, but they're fun.

i'd be surprised if the zuiko 25 has good bokeh, most pancakes dont.