Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:52 AM   #1

I`m wondering if i should buy a E-410 at a very good rebate price now or wait for the new E-420 who`s coming out in a few weeks ?

What does the E-420 have that the E-410 doens`t ?

Too bad it hasn`t IS :sad:
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:59 PM   #2

Hi: based on the Olympus press release, it looks like the major improvements are:

"• On-Screen Autofocus works as seamlessly as a point-and-shoot to display subjects in focus on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way;

• Face Detection Technology targets and locks on up to eight faces to ensure they are in focus and crystal clear for amazing portraits;

• New and Improved HyperCrystal II™ Technology delivers twice the contrast and better viewing in extreme lighting conditions, a broader range of color detail, and a wider angle of view on the LCD so you and your friends can see it up to 176 degrees off-center;

• Shadow Adjustment Technology captures detail in the bright areas of a frame and opens up detail in the shadows that other cameras would render too dark or underexposed; and

• Perfect Shot Preview enables you to view and select your favorite effect right on the LCD, and see how the image will look before you even capture it, so you know that what you see is what you get. "

I'm interested in the new compact 25mm lens that will come with the camera. But I need to actually handle the camera to see if it's worth the extra money over the E410.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:01 PM   #3

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Hi: based on the Olympus press release, it looks like the major improvements are:

"• On-Screen Autofocus works as seamlessly as a point-and-shoot to display subjects in focus on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way;

• Face Detection Technology targets and locks on up to eight faces to ensure they are in focus and crystal clear for amazing portraits;

• New and Improved HyperCrystal II™ Technology delivers twice the contrast and better viewing in extreme lighting conditions, a broader range of color detail, and a wider angle of view on the LCD so you and your friends can see it up to 176 degrees off-center;

• Shadow Adjustment Technology captures detail in the bright areas of a frame and opens up detail in the shadows that other cameras would render too dark or underexposed; and

• Perfect Shot Preview enables you to view and select your favorite effect right on the LCD, and see how the image will look before you even capture it, so you know that what you see is what you get. "

I'm interested in the new compact 25mm lens that will come with the camera. But I need to actually handle the camera to see if it's worth the extra money over the E410.
This sounds pretty impressive so far. I wonder if they have the same sort of plans for the 510, although I can't find a lot of difference between the 410 and the 510, right now.
So do they need a 520..?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:42 PM   #4

Hi Scouse:

It seems natural to incorporate some of those improvement into the E510 and announce it as the E520. After all, there is more profit margin in the 510, and it has IS. So I would not be surprised if there is a 520 in the near future. I would really like to see a 510 with the "Perfect Shot Preview on the LCD screen."

It appears that the 410/420 is aimed at the person who values the small size, andprobably OLY can't fit IS into the smaller body. Therefore the 510 series is very important to their lineup as the "full featured" (but larger), dSLR with a lot of bells and whistles (including IS) at acompetitive price.

Steve
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:44 PM   #5

Makes sense doesn't it Steve. I'll put my 510 plans on hold (and save some more money) for a while and see. Thanks.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 2:46 AM   #6

Talking about lenses , i found someone selling 2 lenses at a bargain price , a 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 and a 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 , i don't know much about zikkor lenses but i believe these are great , right ?

Who knows , i might end up buying the lenses before the body :-)
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:45 PM   #7

Anytime you can get a 14-54mm Zuiko at a great price, don't hesitate:grab it before it's gone. It is a great lens. Plus the 50-200? That's a deal. Go for it. The lens will be a great asset for you that will work on all current and future 4/3 cameras.

Steven R.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 3:35 AM   #8

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Anytime you can get a 14-54mm Zuiko at a great price, don't hesitate:grab it before it's gone. It is a great lens. Plus the 50-200? That's a deal. Go for it. The lens will be a great asset for you that will work on all current and future 4/3 cameras.

Steven R.
I'llprobably buy the E-420 with the pancake lens 25mm f/2.8 , i'm not sure i'd want anything else , for now anyway.

The idea of buying such a camera is to be able to carry it around all the time , maybe even in my pocket , i'm sure the 25mm is more suite for my purpose then the 14-54 mm :-)
Old Apr 6, 2008, 7:01 PM   #9

idk if the 410 has this....

but the 420 has wireless flash capabilities.

this is making me seriously consider it for professional use. IS really is a luxury IMO, just being careful should negate most needs for it, i spent enough on my tripod anyway.

the flash units are expensive though.... especially the fl50r .
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote