Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:27 AM   #1

the weather hasnt been good to me yet..hence i just hadn to contend with just a couple of shots.

I bought this combo for my wildlife. Initial impression is "Not Bad". Except that the only way i will ever shoot is RAW. The jpegs are too sharp some even losing details. i have switched on the noise reduction and any in camera noise processing. Stil the pictures are very sharp(JPEG)

The RAW images are lot better with more details and less noise.

here are few samples..not the best but still my first few...

All these shots were shot handheld, at 500mm effective 1000mm at mostly less than 1/100 of a sec. The geese were shot at 1/80 and the flowers around 1/60 of a second.

Very impressive for 1000mm handheld
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:22 PM   #2

Hi Ya Nymphetamine

Nice shots ! Pretty impressed with the IQ of all the pics esp as they were hand held - so tripod would be even better. Hows the combo feel when out shooting ? I would have thought with its size you;d be using a tripod but obviosouly your not so good hand holding technique.

Cheers

HarjTT

:O :?

HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2008, 4:26 PM   #3

All are quite good but .....I gotta say that dandelion shot is top notch good.

thanks for sharing,
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2008, 9:13 AM   #4

thanks guys

Hows the combo feel when out shooting ? I would have thought with its size you;d be using a tripod but obviosouly your not so good hand holding technique

actually the combo is one of the lightest combo i have ever used. I am used to handholding a 500L(where tripod just addes more weight to the travel).

I have not used a tripod till date for the 500L(Canon) and i think i got used to the weight.

With this bigma e-510 combo, i just feel like carrying the lightest set up. in fact i got the lens with rrs plate and tripod mount which now sits in my house reducing the weight even more.

Only issue i have is the most annoying hood. for somereason the hood just bothers me. Cant even take the lens cap out with the hood on.

I am actually trying to play around with the e-510 and may be later move to a E-3 for its better focussing abilit.

I am a canon user and the first day was really disappointing with the AF and noise. But after started to use the camera a bit and wokring on the RAW files ia m def feeling better. Still i personally feel olympus are atleast two years behind competetion with respect to sensor and operation.

The IS works beautifully and the dust reduction system is one of the best i have seen. If they can work on a slightly better Sensor it would be great

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:07 PM   #5

Any action shots? I'm curious how fast the Bigma focuses on an E-510.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote