Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2008, 2:01 PM   #1

Hi everyone!

After a two week layoff period I've found another job. Now my mind can return to thoughts of lenses:?

I was hoping to get some oppinions on the 11-22mm lens in comparison with the 14-54 (and perhaps 12-60mm).

Here's my situation: I have and like the 14-54mm lens, but find that's it's not as sharp as I like on the wider angels with the aperture open to the maximum.

I do lots of tripod work in indoor low light areas (mostly abandonments). The focal length of the 11-22mm would suit me just fine in most cases. That being said, I don't have a problem reducing the aperature, as I'll sit around and wait for 30 second exposures to no end anyway.

Out of the three lenses in the subject how does the 11-22mm rate for:

1) sharpness with aperature fully open. (or even not fully open).
2) F stop number at 14mm focal lenth. (the wider the better)
3) Value: I'm in Canada and the 11-22mm is $800, 14-54 $530 and 12-60mm just under $1000. Given the cost, and what the primary use would be, is it better to stick with the 14-54mm? would the 12-60mm offer any quality improvement (image wise) over the others?

Any general comments would also be appreciated.

I've heard some fairly mixed reviews, although everyone seems to feel the 11-22 is a good lens.

Much appreciated!
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2008, 3:15 PM   #2

Hi Pid

I don;t have the 11-22 but from what I've read its supposed to be one of Oly's best lenses and I've read many owners swear by it. Riley and several others have the lens ad they would be the best people on the forum. I've been contemplating the 11-22 as well but so far have held off. Even better than us bods providing you with info (hey and I don;t think we're too bad!) is Wrotaink - he;s done a side by side lens review/comparison of the 11-22 and 14-54 and a review of the 12-60 to boot.

11-22 and 14-54 Comparison
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/zd-011-022.html

"This is a very good, if not outstanding, lens. Trying to combine a short focal length with large maximum aperture had to induce some compromises in the distortion and aberration department, especially if the lens were to stay in the non-exotic price range. While generally offering a solid optical performance (in addition to top-notch construction quality), it suffers a bit at the shortest focal length of 11 mm, losing some resolution in the corners and showing some chromatic aberration there. While these flaws are unlikely to show enlarged up to 30×40 cm (12×16"), I was slightly (just slightly!) disappointed after having heard to what most users had to say about it — especially after my previous acquisition of the 50 mm Macro ZD."

12-60 SWD
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/zd-012-060.html

Some user reviews of the 11-22 over at slrgear.com

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...duct/37/cat/15

Hope that helps !

Cheers

HarjTT

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:09 AM   #3

Pickwick wrote:
Quote:
Hi everyone!

After a two week layoff period I've found another job. Now my mind can return to thoughts of lenses:?

I was hoping to get some oppinions on the 11-22mm lens in comparison with the 14-54 (and perhaps 12-60mm).

Here's my situation: I have and like the 14-54mm lens, but find that's it's not as sharp as I like on the wider angels with the aperture open to the maximum.

I do lots of tripod work in indoor low light areas (mostly abandonments). The focal length of the 11-22mm would suit me just fine in most cases. That being said, I don't have a problem reducing the aperature, as I'll sit around and wait for 30 second exposures to no end anyway.

Out of the three lenses in the subject how does the 11-22mm rate for:

1) sharpness with aperature fully open. (or even not fully open).
2) F stop number at 14mm focal lenth. (the wider the better)
3) Value: I'm in Canada and the 11-22mm is $800, 14-54 $530 and 12-60mm just under $1000. Given the cost, and what the primary use would be, is it better to stick with the 14-54mm? would the 12-60mm offer any quality improvement (image wise) over the others?

Any general comments would also be appreciated.

I've heard some fairly mixed reviews, although everyone seems to feel the 11-22 is a good lens.

Much appreciated!
Attached Images

Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:36 PM   #4

I have a 14-54 f2.8-3.5 today myself. If I were considering the 11-22 right now, for what it costs here in the USA, I think I'd just spend the extra few dollars and buythe 12-60 instead and sellthe 14-54.After all that, you wouldwind up being out of pocket probably about what the 11-22 would have cost and have a single, newer designed,better lens. Go take a lookat the 12-60 reviewjust posted at DPReview. It is outstanding..

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/...-60_2p8-4_o20/

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote