Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:52 PM   #11

Has anyone heard from Zig lately? He probably has someinteresting wildlife shots from the Cape Cod area. He must still be on vacation in the Florida Keys.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:48 PM   #12

Got your share of critters down there, doncha Steven?

We get the big Blue here, he's always after my fish in the pond I built. Then we have a couple of families of racoons here every morning for breakfast, they finish off the cats food.

Ziggy...I'm sure he'll show up with some of his excellent pics soon.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:27 AM   #13

I used to have trouble with a big racoon, I had a bird feeder hanging froma crape myrtle tree that attracted a lot of cardinals; but I couldn't understand why I had to re-fil it so often. Then I caught him one night setting in the tree eating the birdseed. He refused to be scared off, he ignored us shouting at him, and ignored us shining a big flashlight in his eyes. He only left when I turned a garden hose on him; jumped down and took off at high speed. (They definitely don't like to be sprayed with water.) However, I had to take down the bird feeder to keep him from coming back.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:35 AM   #14

Funny, my wife likes them there, infact we had 11 on the deck yesterday morning. They'll stand back and let her fill the feeder for them. In 10 years we have never had any trouble from them. They're not pets and she doesn't try to get too close to them so there's a mutual respect there. She gets to know which family is which especially when they bring the young up in the late spring.

She's heard all the "Unfounded" horror stories about how they go for the throat without provacation.....:roll:
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:54 PM   #15

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone heard from Zig lately? He probably has someinteresting wildlife shots from the Cape Cod area. He must still be on vacation in the Florida Keys.
Hi Steven,

Thanks for wondering about me. I've actually been in your lovely state the last 2 weeks. I didn't get much of an opportunity to take as many photos as I wanted but did manage to get a few.

Yes, I was in the Keys for 6 daysbut thentravelled quite a bit. We stayed at a Marriot Courtyard in Ft. Lauderdale and met a few of the "poolside residents" there. We then headed out west/north on alligator alley until we landed in Bradenton. A few days later we went east on 70 and ended up in Jupiter Beach for a wedding.

All I can say is you folks sure do have a lot of interesting back yard visitors. The alligators seemed to be everywhere. The weather, though, was simply great. It sure does feel good to warm up the old bones once in a while.

I've downlodaded a few of the shots I took but still have to cull the remaining 160 or so that I took. Hopefully, there'll be a few more thatI can add in the next few days.

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/florida2008

:|

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:57 PM   #16

Hi Steven/Scouse,

I meant to comment on both your shots. The one of the deer is great-you caught him with that "deer in the headlights" look

Steven, my favorite is your close up of the small gator-really sharp IQ.

regards,

Zig

Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:21 PM   #17

Hi zig: glad you had a good vacation. Liked your photos, looks like you saw a good size gator! Sounds like you crammed a lot of territory into a couple of weeks. One of the advantages of living in the Tampa area is that I'm within4 - 5 hours driving time of 90% of the state. Please share some more of your photos when you get the chance.

FYI: the lizards in your photosaren't geckos, they are actually the Brown Anole. The one with the expanded red throat flapsis a male. The anole is very common all over Florida. They eat insects, and I have many who stay in my back yard.

They don't expand their throat flap all that often, an I'm envious that you got such a photo. It seems like when I'm out without a camera, they always are flashing that red flap, but let me go get a camera, and they never flash it. :?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:45 PM   #18

Here's one of last years "kids"

Attached Images

Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:31 PM   #19

Hi Steven,

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't think that it was a gecko either except that I asked a fellow that worked at the hotel and thats what he said it was. I felt a bit strange sitting by the pool for an hour or so waiting with my camera held at the ready watching for the"little guy"to expand his throat. People came and went and looked at me kind of strange.:?

Anyways..... I wish I could have stayed longer as the weather was really just about perfect. Did a lot of sightseeing around the Bradenton/Sarasota area and was impressed with the beauty of the area. We toured through Anna Maria Island, Longboat Key and Lido. Of all the places we visited, this was the area I liked the most.

You're very fortunate to live in an area with such wonderful weather and where you can travel from the Gulf to the Atlantic in a relatively short amount of time.

I gotta tell you though that alligator alley is just really quite unique. Looks like it hasn't changed muchsince prehistoric times.

regards,

Zig
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:54 PM   #20

Hi zig: I see you've added some more shots to your Florida selection. I really liked the pelican shots!Your 300mm lens is great for shots like that. (The pelican is such an interesting, funny bird. I've got a collection of pelican shots myself). By the way, when you were in the the Sarasota/Bradenton area you were only 30-40 miles from my house.

Hey Scouse: Nice shot of the little raccoon. Hope it was a telephoto lens so you didn't get close to those sharp claws!