Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 17, 2008, 5:44 AM   #21

Hey Steven,

Thanks for the kind words.

Yes, the Pelican is actually quite an interesting bird. When fly fishing in the Keys, I get to see a lot of Pelicans flying and feeding near shore. For a most ungainly looking bird, they are quite adept at spotting baitfish from the air, then crashing headlong into the water and scooping up their feed. It's quite a sight to see.

I really had a lot of funusing the 300mm lens. It allowed me to get closeups of the of the various critters as well asthe gator at Myakka. I was especially pleased with the shot because I was sitting in the middle of an air boat crowded with about 60 people on board. The boat was moving at the time and each time the guide pointed out a gator, all the people would jump up and down trying to get the best view. With a normal lens, it would have been impossible.

One thing I needto work on is being able to focus and shoot birds in flight. I had a devil of a time trying to focus the camera and capture shots of Great Blue Heron, Hawks, and Ospreys. My results were awful. Oh well, it gives me something to work on.

You live in a beautiful part of Florida. The combination of perfect weather, lovely beaches, andlaid back livingmade it particularly difficult to leave.

regards

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 5:07 PM   #22

Hi Scouse,

I was thinking of you and this post when I went out the other evening because I had thought I'd heard some noise in my backyard. I decided to bring my camera and went to investigate

Apparantly I spooked a few deer that were feasting on my Azaleas. They didn't go far -just to my neighbors front yard. I grabbed a few shots before their leader called and they bolted away.

This was the best of the lot. E-510 with 70-300mm lens. Cleaned up with Neat Image

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/image/96058257

Hope your taking lots of shots of the beautiful mountain vista from your deck.

:|

Zig
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:54 AM   #23

Now that's a BIG picture, the deer face fills the screen. Nice one though. I like that camera lens combo more and more. I'm still having fun with my "old" E500 though and will have to enjoy it a while longer....priorities!!!

I've never used "Neat Image" looks like I'm going to have to take a look at it. I do like "free download." I haven't done a lot in low light except for an lousy attempt at a full moon on a cold and cloudy night. Got the mood I was after but the noise after minor post tinkering.....well, was 'deafening'

As for photos off the deck, well I just happen to have a few for the seasons. I'll put a couple together over the weekend.

Here's one of the moon mood shots...use ear plugs:

Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:29 PM   #24

Hi,

I can't remember who it was but one of the forum members mentioned using Neat Image to clean up digital noise.It sure does a very effective job and I find myself using it a lot more than I originally had thought.

Hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty of applying Neat Image to you photo of the Moon. The shot itself is very nice but I think you'll see that the software cleaned up a bit of digital noise.

:|

Zig

Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2008, 1:33 PM   #25

Nicely done Zig!

Actually I was hoping you would...:-)
Nice demo. Yes, I'll have to try it.

Thanks, Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:36 PM   #26

I agree. I use Neat Image from time to time and like it. It's good software.

(But I'm from the old school and must admit that I rarely shootabove 200 or 400, and stick toas low as possible most of the time.)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote