Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2008, 3:23 PM   #1

after much research i picked the e420 over the k10d. reason - slightly cheaper, same wireless flash function, better flash function at fl36, smaller, better color, nicer lenses.

now i'm stuck between the Oly 16-50mm, Leica 14-50mm, and the Oly 14-54mm.
I really can't afford the Oly 16-50mm right now unless i dont get the flash >.< , any suggestion? It really has to be at least f2.8.

or maybe the leica 25mm f1.4 ....

one thing though is these lenses are really LARGE, except maybe the leica 25mm? and of course the soon to come pancake, but they gotta make one faster.
DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:39 PM   #2

your kinda all over the place, lol. might be best to start with a 14-54 until you get sorted.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 7:02 PM   #3

What's an Olympus 16-50?
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:00 AM   #4

DougJGreen wrote:
Quote:
What's an Olympus 16-50?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:10 AM   #5

oops yeah, i was thinking of the pentax.

yeah i'm thinking 14-54mm, though for 200 more i could get the leica 14-50mm with IS, but its not really 100% leica (panaleica?) and the lens quality is same for both (slight differences) >.< but it has IS decisions...
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:30 AM   #6

i could think of better ways to spend 200 bucks. like a zd 25...

420, 14-54 & 25 would get you off to a good start. much better start than most who get the kit zooms.
& you'll want to keep the lenses when you upgrade cameras.

from there, 11-22, 50-200 or the primes.

Old Apr 8, 2008, 10:35 AM   #7

yeah i had a shot at a 14-50mm Panaleica for mid 500s but the 14-54mm is leaning to upper 300s. with that money saved i could get the 14-54mm with the 25mm (if i'm lucky). i'm going to look more into the Sigma 30mm because its f1.4, but should still be pocketable, not much input on this lens though and its sigma >.< , i had a poor history with sigma when i used minolta dslr.

what sold me for the 420, besides some minor IQ improvements is wireless flash.
i read on the dpreview forum that this is based optically so not sure what this means, but if i could experiment that would be great, and get a small understanding of what my boss does with his nikon d3 and the wireless controller.

if anyone is familiar with the olympus wireless flash system that would be great, and i'm wondering if its the same as the E1/E3 ?

Old Apr 9, 2008, 4:17 AM   #8

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
if anyone is familiar with the olympus wireless flash system that would be great, and i'm wondering if its the same as the E1/E3 ?
I expect it's the same as the E3, since the E420 is compatible with the FL-50R and FL-36R.

Given this, it works using coded flashes from the onboard flash, not using radio. You put the camera in RC mode, pop up the onboard flash, set the FL-36R or 50R to RC mode, and shoot. The onboard flash fires weakly, and the remote flash provides the real lighting.

I've used it just once, to see what it did. One day I expect I'll use it for something real. Yes. Some day.
anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:11 PM   #9

On correction, the E-1 has no wireless flash capability, nor does the E-300, E-330, E-500, E-510, E-400, or E-410, since Oly's wireless flash was invented AFTER these models came out...unless Olympus makes new firmware for all of these models (except the E-1 since it has no internal flash unit).

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 7:48 PM   #10

DorkUnderwater wrote:
Quote:
oops yeah, i was thinking of the pentax.

yeah i'm thinking 14-54mm, though for 200 more i could get the leica 14-50mm with IS, but its not really 100% leica (panaleica?) and the lens quality is same for both (slight differences) >.< but it has IS decisions...
Wonder where you find the Leica ? i've been looking everywhere :roll:
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote