Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:00 AM   #1
Member
 
Terpentijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 53
Default

Hi Everyone,

In most forum and their treads people say: E1 is the best Camere ever buitd. Be it Olympus or C/N/P. The reasons?: Weight, Format, User freindly, Sexy and above all; Color rendition and IQ with character!

I had and have again a E1, after 6 months hunt on internet. Besides an E3 and E510. Still ,me too, prefere E1 above all. Is E1 now allready a collectors item?

You agree or you do not. Tell me why!

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:39 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
DorkUnderwater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 158
Default

i'm actually hunting too. just hope i find one without a lot of actuations on it...

i've seen only positive reviews of it, even people saying it surpasses the E-3 at low ISO's .

people preferring the E1 to E3, having more than one, yeah i'd say its a collector item.



DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
d-sr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Abilene. TX
Posts: 1,486
Default

The E-1 is a great camera. The IQ and color is second to none. If it only had IS I would never have changed but I recently bought a E-510 and love it. I've thought about selling my E-1 but I just somehow can't part with it yet. Mine probably has 3-3500 actuations on it but when They are tested to 100,000 that's just getting started.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:01 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

I guess I'm the exception...I disliked the E-1 body design and waited for the E-300 to come out. Although if I had the choices I have today I'd choose an E-410/420 since it was most like the SLR I had used for 20 years in terms of body design.

I may buy a second body in the fall, but I haven't decided between the E-4xx or E-330 yet...I do instruction so I would do live view a lot (still use my C-700 for that), but even though I'd prefer the E-4xx design I dislike the fact it is holding the shutter open and shortening the life of the shutter "motor".

For those looking for a relatively new E-1, Henry's Outlet Centre still has one listed:

OLYMPUS E-1 PRO DIGITAL SLR BODY $999.99 567CAR002

Note that's a Canadian price, and it's probably still new as it doesn't say "open box".

Also note that Henry's Outlet Centre isn't setup for online purchases, but they may be able to arrange things through the main Henry's store to ship it to you (the Outlet Centre is a store for Henry's to get rid of discontinued, open box, and used cameras...I bought my E-300 "open box" with a few hundred activations at the Outlet Centre, but I live in Toronto so it's a no brainer for me).

The Outlet Centre's homepage is:
http://www.henrys.com/hoc/

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:24 AM   #5
Member
 
Terpentijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 53
Default

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm the exception...I disliked the E-1 body design and waited for the E-300 to come out. Although if I had the choices I have today I'd choose an E-410/420 since it was most like the SLR I had used for 20 years in terms of body design.

Hi Mike,

Good to hear some counterforce. I do not know the body desighn of 20 years ago, I was still using my Pen F. To my great satisfaction. But when digital apeared, I could not restst the E1 and got lost in her green/bleu eyes (14-54). Maybe you can tell me what the difference is between E1 and body desighn of the past, according to you?

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:42 AM   #6
Member
 
Terpentijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 53
Default

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Also note that Henry's Outlet Centre isn't setup for online purchases, but they may be able to arrange things through the main Henry's store to ship it to you (the Outlet Centre is a store for Henry's to get rid of discontinued, open box, and used cameras...I bought my E-300 "open box" with a few hundred activations at the Outlet Centre, but I live in Toronto so it's a no brainer for me).

The Outlet Centre's homepage is:
http://www.henrys.com/hoc/
Hi Mike,

Note, I live in France, to obtaine an E1 here is much more difficult. In the end I found one in Holland (my Homeland) and bought it. I will never be so careless as to let it jump pout off my saddlebags. If it comes to a camera with userfreindly aspects, E1 is IT!

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Good to hear some counterforce. I do not know the body desighn of 20 years ago, I was still using my Pen F.
Well, here's a quick image I made up comparing a clone of my camera to the E-420, and I tried to get the size similar to the actual bodies:



That's the reason why I REALLY hate the grip on modern cameras, as well is disliking the fact the E-1 doesn't have any body right of the lens...due to an old hand injury I have to wear a special glove shaped grip strap attached to the camera.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8
Member
 
Terpentijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 53
Default

Quote:
That's the reason why I REALLY hate the grip on modern cameras, as well is disliking the fact the E-1 doesn't have any body right of the lens...due to an old hand injury I have to wear a special glove shaped grip strap attached to the camera.
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you have a bit of a handycap. This does not mean the E1 is "Ugly"! I can understand the problem, but for me the "lack" of camera on the one side serves me right to pass my nose next to the cam without poking it into the back. A vere nice aspect!

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Mikefellh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,707
Default

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you have a bit of a handycap. This does not mean the E1 is "Ugly"! I can understand the problem, but for me the "lack" of camera on the one side serves me right to pass my nose next to the cam without poking it into the back. A vere nice aspect!

Terpentijn.
I never used the word "ugly" in this thread...I said I disliked the body design of the E-1. I can't think of an ugly camera right now...well, maybe the Minolta Z1 but that was a weird design rather than ugly.

As for the nose issue, it's fine if you're right-eye dominant, but if you're left eyed it does squat for you!

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:53 PM.