Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2008, 7:00 AM   #1

Hi Everyone,

In most forum and their treads people say: E1 is the best Camere ever buitd. Be it Olympus or C/N/P. The reasons?: Weight, Format, User freindly, Sexy and above all; Color rendition and IQ with character!

I had and have again a E1, after 6 months hunt on internet. Besides an E3 and E510. Still ,me too, prefere E1 above all. Is E1 now allready a collectors item?

You agree or you do not. Tell me why!

Terpentijn.
Terpentijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2008, 9:39 AM   #2

i'm actually hunting too. just hope i find one without a lot of actuations on it...

i've seen only positive reviews of it, even people saying it surpasses the E-3 at low ISO's .

people preferring the E1 to E3, having more than one, yeah i'd say its a collector item.

DorkUnderwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2008, 11:26 PM   #3

The E-1 is a great camera. The IQ and color is second to none. If it only had IS I would never have changed but I recently bought a E-510 and love it. I've thought about selling my E-1 but I just somehow can't part with it yet. Mine probably has 3-3500 actuations on it but when They are tested to 100,000 that's just getting started.

DonR
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 2:01 AM   #4

I guess I'm the exception...I disliked the E-1 body design and waited for the E-300 to come out. Although if I had the choices I have today I'd choose an E-410/420 since it was most like the SLR I had used for 20 years in terms of body design.

I may buy a second body in the fall, but I haven't decided between the E-4xx or E-330 yet...I do instruction so I would do live view a lot (still use my C-700 for that), but even though I'd prefer the E-4xx design I dislike the fact it is holding the shutter open and shortening the life of the shutter "motor".

For those looking for a relatively new E-1, Henry's Outlet Centre still has one listed:

OLYMPUS E-1 PRO DIGITAL SLR BODY $999.99 567CAR002

Note that's a Canadian price, and it's probably still new as it doesn't say "open box".

Also note that Henry's Outlet Centre isn't setup for online purchases, but they may be able to arrange things through the main Henry's store to ship it to you (the Outlet Centre is a store for Henry's to get rid of discontinued, open box, and used cameras...I bought my E-300 "open box" with a few hundred activations at the Outlet Centre, but I live in Toronto so it's a no brainer for me).

The Outlet Centre's homepage is:
http://www.henrys.com/hoc/

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2008, 7:24 AM   #5

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
I guess I'm the exception...I disliked the E-1 body design and waited for the E-300 to come out. Although if I had the choices I have today I'd choose an E-410/420 since it was most like the SLR I had used for 20 years in terms of body design.

Hi Mike,

Good to hear some counterforce. I do not know the body desighn of 20 years ago, I was still using my Pen F. To my great satisfaction. But when digital apeared, I could not restst the E1 and got lost in her green/bleu eyes (14-54). Maybe you can tell me what the difference is between E1 and body desighn of the past, according to you?

Terpentijn.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:42 AM   #6

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
Also note that Henry's Outlet Centre isn't setup for online purchases, but they may be able to arrange things through the main Henry's store to ship it to you (the Outlet Centre is a store for Henry's to get rid of discontinued, open box, and used cameras...I bought my E-300 "open box" with a few hundred activations at the Outlet Centre, but I live in Toronto so it's a no brainer for me).

The Outlet Centre's homepage is:
http://www.henrys.com/hoc/
Hi Mike,

Note, I live in France, to obtaine an E1 here is much more difficult. In the end I found one in Holland (my Homeland) and bought it. I will never be so careless as to let it jump pout off my saddlebags. If it comes to a camera with userfreindly aspects, E1 is IT!

Terpentijn.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:07 AM   #7

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Good to hear some counterforce. I do not know the body desighn of 20 years ago, I was still using my Pen F.
Well, here's a quick image I made up comparing a clone of my camera to the E-420, and I tried to get the size similar to the actual bodies:

That's the reason why I REALLY hate the grip on modern cameras, as well is disliking the fact the E-1 doesn't have any body right of the lens...due to an old hand injury I have to wear a special glove shaped grip strap attached to the camera.

Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
That's the reason why I REALLY hate the grip on modern cameras, as well is disliking the fact the E-1 doesn't have any body right of the lens...due to an old hand injury I have to wear a special glove shaped grip strap attached to the camera.
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you have a bit of a handycap. This does not mean the E1 is "Ugly"! I can understand the problem, but for me the "lack" of camera on the one side serves me right to pass my nose next to the cam without poking it into the back. A vere nice aspect!

Terpentijn.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:59 AM   #9

Terpentijn wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Mike,

Sorry to hear you have a bit of a handycap. This does not mean the E1 is "Ugly"! I can understand the problem, but for me the "lack" of camera on the one side serves me right to pass my nose next to the cam without poking it into the back. A vere nice aspect!

Terpentijn.
I never used the word "ugly" in this thread...I said I disliked the body design of the E-1. I can't think of an ugly camera right now...well, maybe the Minolta Z1 but that was a weird design rather than ugly.

As for the nose issue, it's fine if you're right-eye dominant, but if you're left eyed it does squat for you!