Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:16 PM   #1

My wife dragged me out to the tulip fields this morning, So I dragged the camera.

It was sunny with a little morning mist at our place when we left but the farther we went north the cloudier it got.

I jumped out when we got to the tulip field. We're talking acres of tulips here, it's a really big deal complete with the tulip festival and busloads of tourist going around to the various venues.

When I got out there were just a few hardened 'togs' out there waiting, hoping for a bit of sun. The best shots are on clear mornings when the snow covered mountains make for spectacular shots.

Not today though. I took a load of pics and was going to dump them all but decided to share my misery with you guys. Some times you win, sometimes you get the dregs.

Cropped the car park and buses off this.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2008, 8:15 PM   #2

.....hey, I like these pictures with or without the mountains.

Thanks for posting, I've not seen commercial fields of flowers since when I lived (grew up) in Shenandoah, Iowa when the several nurseries grew flowers for seed. I do remember the smell and that many blooms just is not as pleasant to smell as is a small bunch, but they surely are pretty.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:57 PM   #3

Hi Scouse: don't see yourself short. I copy a couple and spent about 30 seconds each experimenting with a little PP.

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2008, 10:59 PM   #4

and this
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 6:07 AM   #5

Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear that your wife dragged you out to such an awful place......must have been terrible.:-)

Actually, I've never seen anything quite like a flower or Tulip field. Judging from your photos, must be an amazing sight to see. I rather like most of you shots. Seems like the sky got blownout in a few of them, though. If I could suggest, you may want to adjust your contrast setting foundon the control panel screen to compensate for the bright sky.

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 11:59 PM   #6

Thanks guys, I really wanted more and the morning was low fog with cloud over the mountains. Hence the burnt out sky.......that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

"Seems like the sky got blownout in a few of them, though. If I could suggest, you may want to adjust your contrast setting foundon the control panel screen"

I really didn't know that there was such a thing as "contrast setting" I think I have to look into that. This was the E500 with the 14-45 lens.

Nice touch there Steve, I should put all my stuff on photobucket or Flikr and have you touch 'em up a bit.

The tulip fields are fun and really pretty but you should see picsfrom the like of Art Wolfe. The guy that does the Sunday night TV photography show "Travels to the Edge" When the mountains are out.

These are the mountains below and the tulip field are just about half hour drive up north. Imagine them combined.....Cue Steve and photoshop!!!!!
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:23 AM   #7

Here we go.......Hard to believe I only took 5 minutes to do this, isn't it........:G
Attached Images

Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:34 AM   #8

.....I believe it! It is a good result too.
_________
boBBrennan
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:04 AM   #9

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I really didn't know that there was such a thing as "contrast setting" I think I have to look into that. This was the E500 with the 14-45 lens.
Hi, Scouse

I've found that with both the E500 and the E3, reducing the contrast is a good idea for outdoor shots - the luminance range is usually greater than DSLR sensors can effectively capture.(This was almost always the case with film but with DSLRs you can actually do something about it.)

Note thatif you do that, the images will be a little flat so you have to do some PP to boost the contrast. But the advantage is that you get to control the contrast and just boost it enough to get a good image without the highlights washing out or thedark areasblocking up.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:28 PM   #10

Hi Ted,

Who says "old dogs" can't be taught new tricks or remember them. It was you who gave me the suggestion of reducing contrast setting in the E-510when faced with a harsh light that could blow out the sky.( we discussed the DCresource sample photos with the E-420 post). I've used that trick on a number of occasions lately and it certainly givesme a heck of a lot more control in adjusting the image in PP.

This old dog thanks you.

zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote