Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:38 PM   #11

"the conductor"

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 7:40 PM   #12

another pelican.
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2008, 10:24 PM   #13

Hey Steven,

Nice shots..... That Pelican really does look like he conducting.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:07 PM   #14

Hi Zig!

What is the supposed hinderance of using I.S. on a tripod

I`ve searched around on google and can`t find anything on this subject at all. :S
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:30 PM   #15

Hi Pickwick,

I'm not 100% sure why it is recommended by Olympus to disable IS when using a tripod. I read somewhere (can't remember exactly) that the IS software is expecting some sort of vibration-we all shake somewhat, no matter how steady we think we are. When it does notfeel any as in the camera being mounted onto a tripod,the IS software gets confused.

Here's an shortexcerpt from an article on the E-510 and it's image stabilization feature:

Wrotniak writes:

Olympus recommends disabling the IS when shooting from a tripod. My experience confirms a need for that: one of my series of 16 tripod-based frames, with the IS accidentally left on, seems visibly more fuzzy than when re-shot without IS. The results do not look visibly shaken (no smear or double contours) — just like if autofocus was working wrong. Again, I'm tempted to run a more formal test of that effect to get a better grip on its magnitude.

You can read the entire article by going onto wrotniak.net and then looking up the E-510 technical review.

I wish I could remember where the more definitive statement that I read, came from-but i'm having a senior moment.

If I remember,I'll add it to this post.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:49 PM   #16

Thanks Zig! Gee, of course I neglect Wrontniak in my search. I`m learning not to do that time and time again. Your usual help is much appreciated

Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 2:56 AM   #17
OCD

The general advice that IS should be switched off when the camera is mounted on a tripod is sound advice, but of course can't be qualified for every single situation. So the wind blowing, or a flimsy tripod, or a heavy hand on the shutter release all make for vibration that the IS can take care of.

If you do have the tripod rock solid and the IS switched on you may not notice any difference in the image for many subjects. But having it switched on is very noticeable on macro shots where there is a distinct blurring of detail. In fact on long exposures you can hear the IS working even though everything is rock steady.

So I guess if switched on IS is always trying to find something to do, in which case it may not be a good idea having it switched on formost of the time if the camera is being used in good light when hand held with normal lenses. A rock steady hand may actually lead to a softer image.

So I think it would be nice if Oly got a little more sophisticated with the IS feature and had a tripod detect system built in, as well as user defined parameters for when IS could automatically kick in when certain focal lengths and shutter speeds were used.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 6:55 AM   #18

OCD wrote:
Quote:
So I think it would be nice if Oly got a little more sophisticated with the IS feature and had a tripod detect system built in
Hi, OCD

Not sure how they would do that without kicking IS off when a monopod is used, and generally IS is a good thing with a monopod.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 9:47 AM   #19
PJM

Tripod detect system?

Why not become a PHOTOGRAPHER and help the camera do its job!?
PJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 2:26 AM   #20
OCD

Quote:
Tripod detect system?

Why not become a PHOTOGRAPHER and help the camera do its job!?
How about you go over to the Canon forum and suggest that? I am sure their impoliteness will not disappoint me. Then come back and tell me when you took up photography, how qualified you are, and what experience you have at getting the odd front page? We'll see if it is possible to have a conversation.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote