Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:11 PM   #11

hi Harj, the 'bokina' is great. and consider its around 25 yrs old. like the old vivitar series 1. be interesting to see how the zuiko 100 macro stacks up against it. what im interested in is the zeiss zf 100 macro, but its around 1500usd.

i have an old om vivitar55 2.8 macro thats very good. made by komine. 1:1 on 35mm so 2:1 eqiuv on 4/3. if i ever find something interesting to shoot, i'll post some pics.

if you find a tokina atx 90 2.5 in good shape @ a good price, you could'nt go wrong. great portrait lens if you want em sharp. i paid 200usd for the complete kit, 1:1 adaptor & case ,mint, a few years ago. probably more now.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 6:48 PM   #12

Jimmy Buffett's Pencil Thin mustache is my fave Buffet tune while, in my mind, David Allen Coe's "Take this job and shove it" is a classic.

I've moved onto John Prine's "In a town this size".and Blaze Foley''s-If I could only Fly.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 7:34 PM   #13

hiya zig. google ' jimmy buffet dont live in key west anymore '. way back when, d.a. coe & his roadies crashed a party we had on big pine key and put on a show. he did a version of that song and i laughed till i cried. man we had fun back then. 30 some years ago and i remember it like yesterday, drunk as i was, lol.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:41 PM   #14

Hi G,

Because of my love for fishing, I started going to the Keys around '79 I only remember the year because it our 10th wedding anniversary. Been going there every since. If you lived on Big Pine, ,you must have gone to the no name bar-at least that's what I think it was called. Had dollar bills and women's bra's stapled all over the walls and ceilings. chili was good and the beer was cold.

Anyways... all I know is that if I lived in the Keys for any length of time, I'd be dead right now as I would have drunk myself into oblivion. Fun place to visit, though.

and I will google jimmy buffet
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:50 PM   #15

spent many nights at the no name pub, gang plank, sapodilla lounge, mariner, baltimore oyster house, on big pine. 'ernies island woman' on little torch. did you ever eat breakfast at mr. jims? joanie the owner would make me a bloodymary if i was hungover. was the traffic light there when you went there? the new bridges were the beginning of the end for the keys.

cocos cantina, turtle steak,on summerland? the sugarloaf lodge? man, i have so many good memories from there. sad its all changed.

you dolphin fish? my favorite for reel fishing. most often i would spearfish though. ever get any hogfish? i knew some great spongebeds for lobster, the little ones you go to jail for, lol.

Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:12 AM   #16

Hi G,

I haven't had the pleasure of dining or drinking at many of the places you mentioned. I do remember when the no name was a pretty much a local hangout. You had to know where it was. Went there this last trip to the Keys and I bet now they make as much selling t-shirts as they do food. I'm not saying the place is worse-just different and much more crowded.

The place where we ate most often was at Stout's in Marathon 'cause that's where the guides would meet us or at the Big Pine Diner. We used to meet a guide by the name of Billy Sidnor there. When it rained, we'd run off to a strip joint in Key West-but that's a story for another day.

Haven't fished much for Dolphin, though we've tried following the weedlines on the Atlantic side and had some success at it. Most exotic fish I caught was a parrot fish which looked like it came straight out of a Pixar animated movie. Most colorful thing I've ever seen.

Most all of my time down there is devoted to flyfishing for permit, bonefish, and tarpon. Although I've caught barracuda, black tipped shark, bonnet head shark, lady fish, red drum, and the occasional cow fish on a fly. You take what the weatherallowsand mother nature gives you.

Here's a pic of the guy who I fish with and his dog. I was pretty pleased with this shot since I was sitting on the bow of the boat while the boat was goingaround 35knots. It also allows me to daydream when it's raining here, cold and raw.

http://www.pbase.com/zig123/image/94448369

BTW,that 90mm ATX lens is sure a great lens. I've been looking for it on E-Bay and Craig's List ever since I've seen your photos.

Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:09 AM   #17

your a sport fisherman, i fish to eat.

when i was going to the no name, no food.drinks & pool tables was all. towards my end there, a friend of mine, uncle tony, set them up in the pizza racket. the owner back then whos name i dont remember had cancer and died young.

i was a mason back then, the only working mason betweenstock island& the 7 mile bridge. so you've seen the fruits of my labors, lol. built many houses & a few commercial buildings. i cant imagine what its like now. dont really want to know.

a buddy of mine who still lives on ramrod bought a little a-frame on the ocean for 32k in 69/70. we put a couple additions on and he picked up 2 lots alongside. worth millions now. last i heard, he & his wife are moving to the mountains in nc. i have a picture of me back then, but i cant find it.

keys, release me, let me go. lol

Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:48 AM   #18

Nice images....I noticed the Georgia clay immediately. Horray from a Middle Ga native L
signalsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote