Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 3, 2008, 1:53 PM   #1

available for the Oly E-3.

But the decision to purchase one isgonna take some thought. The E-3 screen is much more integrated into the E-3's system than previous Oly DSLRs. Here's what Katz Eye told me in their e-mail (I was on their notification list for the E-3 version):

"We are pleased to announce that our research and development is complete and
the Katz Eye focusing screen for this model has been released!
To read about the new screen, please visit:

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Olympus-E-3-Focusing-Screen--prod_E3.html

There is also a link to the new screen right on the home page at
http://www.katzeyeoptics.com.

Please be advised that professional installation is advised for focusing
screens in the E-3 camera and Katz Eye Optics will not be providing
installation instructions or tools for this model. Also, use of a split
prism focusing screen in the E-3 will cause a noticeable effect on exposures
and users are strongly urged to take test shots and adjust exposure
compensation in order to avoid overexposure. Full details can be found in
the 'Metering Information' section of the web page for this model."

I'm not sure the split-image screen is worth the risk.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 3, 2008, 6:02 PM   #2

Hi Ted

Thanks for the info - I had been thinking abotu how useful a Katz eye woudl be for the E3 but after reading the mail they sent you I agree I'm not sure its personally worth the risk. If your a macro/manual lens shooter then it would still be pretty invaluable to have.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 3:39 AM   #3

Hi, Harj

I do sometimes miss the split-image focus screen that all the film SLRs came with, but not enough to mess with something that integral to the E-3. But you do have to respect their honesty!

Ted
Old May 4, 2008, 5:38 AM   #4

Hi Ted,

I'm curious, what features does the Katz-Eye have that you find would be of benefit to you-aside from the split-screen?

Just asking, since, as a one timeuser of an E-500 and now having an E-510, I've read about the Katz-eye with quite a bit of interest. Largely due to the improvement in brightness in the viewfinder (as I understand it), it was something that I've considered in buying. But, from what I've read, the E-3 has a significantly larger viewfinder screen and is also supposedly brighter-more akin to the E-1 and classic SLR 35mm cameras. I'm not sure what benfit you would derive.

After having read the caveats that the manufacturer included in their specifications, like you and Harj, I have serious doubts about it.

Also, Harj, made a good point about macro/manual lens shooters-but using Live View would, to me, be a better option.

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 7:36 AM   #5

Hi, Zig

Asplit image screen usually allows more precise manual focusing than a plain ground-glass screen, as long as there is a "line" of some sort in the subject. My interest in it is for macro workwhere I think it would be easier to do manual focus than futzing around with the camera's choice offocal spot.And I guess I'm just old-fashioned - I'd rather use the viewfinder than the Live View especially on bright sunny days.

But Harj got me thinking - I could put a Katz Eye in my E-500 and use it for the macro lens. It's getting pretty lonely in my camera bag, and has hurt feelings since it figures it served me well for a long time. (grin)

Ted
Old May 4, 2008, 8:49 AM   #6

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Hi, Zig

Asplit image screen usually allows more precise manual focusing than a plain ground-glass screen, as long as there is a "line" of some sort in the subject. My interest in it is for macro workwhere I think it would be easier to do manual focus than futzing around with the camera's choice offocal spot.
Ted
Darn it Ted!

I wish I hadn't responded to your post. Your comment regarding split imagescreen above prompted me to pull out my Konica FT-1 Motor 35mm SLR (something I haven't done in years)and compare it to what I'm seeing thru the E-510. Yikes!! :shock:I can't believe how much more I can see thru the oldKonica. Manual focusis a snap with it.

Not much I can doabout it as I ain't goin' back to film.

Zig

Old May 4, 2008, 1:10 PM   #7

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I can't believe how much more I can see thru the oldKonica. Manual focusis a snap with it.

Not much I can doabout it as I ain't goin' back to film.
Hi, Zig

I'm sure you know this, but if the lens you were looking through in the Konica, is substantially faster than the lens on the E510 then the Konica viewfinder will indeed be much brighter.

Ted
Old May 4, 2008, 2:51 PM   #8

Hi Ted,

As always, you are on the ball! What I didn't mention(should have) is that I have 2 Konica 50mm F1.7 lenses. One on the FT-1 and the other, I modified to fit the E-510 which I did quite some time ago in an effort to use some of my 35mm lenses. I had always liked the 50mm/F1.7 Konica Hexanon since it is quite compact and is very sharp. As a result, I saw one on E-Bay for pennies on the dollar and decided to get it for the Oly.

Anyways..... I put a 50mm Konica on each of the cams with the F-stop set at 1.7. the viewfinder is simply larger on the Konica. It is brighter as well but not as great a difference as I first thought.

One thing is sure, the split screen focus capability of the 35mm slr cams really does make it simpler to focus-hands down - I just forgot how nice a feature that is.

Old May 4, 2008, 3:15 PM   #9

Hi, Zig,

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
As always, you are on the ball!
Well you need to tell my boss that (grin).

Quote:
One thing is sure, the split screen focus capability of the 35mm slr cams really does make it simpler to focus-hands down - I just forgot how nice a feature that is.
It certainly is a nice feature for manual focusing. Frankly I don't miss that in normal photography - the Oly autofocus works just fine. But with macro I'd prefer to do manual focusing.

Ted
Old May 5, 2008, 9:38 AM   #10

I missed the split screen I had in the old OM2 so I bought one for the E500 and fitted it myself without any problems. It's really a plus when I use my old lenses and when I manually focus but more and more I'm finding the type of photos I'm taking, the auto is so much quicker and more accurate than me.

Sometimes in low light the camera has to hunt around for a lock, more than it used to with the factory screen. Not enough for me to want to change it back though.

I'd think twice about putting it in the E3 after reading their info.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote