Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 4, 2008, 5:52 PM   #1

I've been looking closely at the Olympus E-510 and possibly the new E-420. As most of us know, the Zuiko kit lenses - specifically the 14-42 and 40-150mm pieces - aren't bad for kit lenses at all. Among the best. But... f/3-5.6 is still a bit slow in my humble opinion.

So... I've been toying with the idea of picking up a E-510 body (or possibly the E-420 because of the updated software, controls, etc) and going with the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 ED lens. Generally, it looks like the body for either camera can be had for just under $500 and the lens for just over $400. That's a total expenditure of less than $900 for a very solid camera and lens combination. And that's just about all the money I can spend right now. In technical terms, I think this would be an ideal solution for me - given that an E-3 just isn't in the cards any time soon.

My question: At 15.3 ounces, 2.8 inches wide and 3.4 inches long, is the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens too big and heavy for the E-510? And, if not, is it too big and heavy for the E-420 (or 410 if anyone has tried it)? If anyone has any experience with such a combination, I'd love to hear whatever input they have to offer.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 6:25 PM   #2

Biro, that lens would be fine, it makes a great all around carry lens as it makes for excellent landscape/architectural shots, closeups and portraits...it's not too overbearing or cumbersome with that camera
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 7:09 PM   #3

......I agree with -=edge=- the 14-54 ZD really is a quality lens.

Regarding size/weight, the lens balances very nicely with probably any of the cameras you mention but most definitely it would make a comfortable combination with the 500/510.

I have a 14-54 and use it with my E-3 and E-300.... it is quite a nice arrangement with either camera.
Old May 4, 2008, 8:36 PM   #4

I used an E510/14-54 combination to shoot a wedding/reception back on April 5...it worked like a charm. The only shots during the event where I didn't use the 14-54 was during the ceremony when I was shooting from the back of the church with the 70-300 Zuiko.

The speed and the extra 23mm on the tele end are both major improvements on the 14-42, which is an excellent lens too.....just not quite the right lens for doing what I did that day.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 12:07 AM   #5

I have the e510 and the 14-54 combinaion and I think it's a great value. If you ever feel like experimenting with macro the 35mm is a great steal.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 8:02 AM   #6

I bought the E-500 when it first came out but the f/3.5-5.6 kit lens at that time was slower than I needed so I got the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5. I used it a lot and I always felt that it was a quality lens. I would still be using it if the Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 hadn't come outand called me like the lure ofthe Sirens' songs(grin).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 1:33 PM   #7

All of this is very helpful. It's clear this is the lens for me given my budget. I'm pretty sure it's a better match with the E-510 than the E-420 (given the 420's size and weight), but I plan to go to B&H this week to actually check that out. I'm considering the E-420 because of the software upgrades that improve white balance, dynamic range, etc. But perhaps none of that is as important as I think and I should just spend some time changing the default settings inside the E-510.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 4:47 PM   #8

Hi,

A couple of suggestions when you go. Bring along a compact flash card and take shots with both the E-420 and the E-510. Be sure to adjust the contrast and saturation settings to your liking on the E-510.

This will serve a few purposes. You can get the feel of each camera in your hand-howeach handles, also, you'll get the ability to bring the shots home and evaluate them on your pc.

Another feature on the E-510 to consider is the built in Image Stabilization.

I've tried to find detailed information on how the IS works on the E-420, but I've not been able to get any definitive info other than a blurb on Oly's website. The sales rep should be able to provide some info .The IS would be of benefit to you if you were to buy a 200mm lensor one having a greater focal length. I have the E-510 and wouldn't live without IS.

In life there are always trade-offs. Both have features that the other doesn't. It will be up to you to decide which features are most meaningful to you.

good luck

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 11:09 AM   #9

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
I've tried to find detailed information on how the IS works on the E-420, but I've not been able to get any definitive info other than a blurb on Oly's website.
Hi, Zig

The E-420 does not have true IS (moving the sensor to counteract camera shake). Someone posted an explanation in this forum of what it does. I can't seem to find that post but if I remember correctly it just increases the shutter speed (and the ISO?) to reduce the effects of camera shake.

I suspect that Oly will continue to use true IS to distinguish the E-5XX line from the E-4XX line because they will need to have a number of reasons for customers to choose the more expensiveline over the less expensive one. If I'm correct, that's unfortunate because I suspect that any "consumer-grade" DSLR will in the future need to haveIS to be competitive. (The Minolta Maxxum 5D offered it some years ago.)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 6:03 PM   #10

Hi Ted,

Yeah,

Irecall a thread thatexplained so called "image stablization" in the e-420. Seems to me that it may be in the post dealing with the release of the E-420. Since I wasn't 100% sure, I thought it best to let Biro discuss this with the sales rep when he goes to the shop.

I just didn't want to make a mis statement.Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, How are the soft shelled crabsin Maryland these days? We have friends in Elkton, MD that we visit in the summer. One of the first things we do when we get there is get a bushel of crabs, sit outside by a campfire and gorge ourselves.

Life is good,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote