Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 5, 2008, 6:10 PM   #1

Just curious to find out if anyone uses the 11-22 for full length port shots and how the lens compares to the 14-54ZD at 14-22mm for sharpness? The reason i ask is that the 14-54ZD isn't as sharp as i'd like when shooting between that FL.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2008, 2:05 PM   #2

Hi Harj,

I believe RRiley uses this one for his real estate interior shots, there's a couple here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=36

Impressive lens, not much distortion or barrelling.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 5:51 AM   #3

hi Harj, its never occured to me to use a 11-22 for portraits due to barrel/perspective distortion, buti suppose someone with more creative vision than me could get interesting results. if anything, i like a little pincushion distortion for portraits.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 7:18 PM   #4

Hi G

I was thinking of just shooting with the lens for full length shots , which is what I've been using the 14-54 for and its not as sharp as I would like. ideally I;d get the 14-35F2 but thats not going to happen unless it drops a lot in price and I get paid to do my own project shoots.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old May 8, 2008, 6:54 AM   #5

when i want sharp, i use a prime. maybe the leica 25? love to see what you could do with it.
Old May 8, 2008, 3:04 PM   #6

Hi G

The Leica is definitely on my list and I may just get it and learn to work with the lens. Now if they also did a 11 or 12mm F1.4/2 that would be a pretty killer combo against the 14-35F2 and for a lot less.

Cheers

Harj

:O :?
Old May 8, 2008, 3:38 PM   #7

hi guys
Harj i dont do portraits because i make them look like mug shots but its a great lens, at 22mm [44EFL] it has zero distortion, and just a tad at 11mm up close, thats likely very important to you. It makes a good copy machine too when you need to copy a plan 800iso 1/125, F4.5

i took that indoors handheld so needed 800iso [no flash] its as sharp as the original.

Even at silly apertures, this was at F22 when i saw an opportunity where i needed a slow shutter but was caught in the wrong mode with no time to spare, iso100 1/40th, F22

and a crop of the guy on the BSA Bantam [restored]

despite diffraction at F22, a lot of detail remains
that said, even at 22mm [44EFL] you are just 2.6m, about 8'6" away from a door to get the full door in frame in portrait mode. I hope that helps

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 5:51 PM   #8

gwillys wrote:
Quote:
hi Harj, its never occured to me to use a 11-22 for portraits due to barrel/perspective distortion, buti suppose someone with more creative vision than me could get interesting results. if anything, i like a little pincushion distortion for portraits.
Thanks for posting that observation. I don't do a lot of portraits and I never thought about the fact that given a choice, folks would rather have distortion that makes them look thinner rather than more plump.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 5:55 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Hi G

The Leica is definitely on my list and I may just get it and learn to work with the lens. Now if they also did a 11 or 12mm F1.4/2 that would be a pretty killer combo against the 14-35F2 and for a lot less.
Hi, Harj,

I'm curious as to why you would need a fast wide-angle lens. Does your studio work require a wide angle? I would have figured that that's not very common in studio (i.e. low light indoor) work.

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 7:41 PM   #10

tkurkowski wrote:
Thanks for posting that observation. I don't do a lot of portraits and I never thought about the fact that given a choice, folks would rather have distortion that makes them look thinner rather than more plump.

Ted

hi Ted,a great portrait lens is the rokkor 58mm 1.4, because of its pincushion distortion and other attributes - very sharp with beautiful bokeh. just does a great job. very complimentary for most folks. makes the ladys happy! cheap too, even with a adaptor.