Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 8, 2008, 10:13 PM   #11

Mikefellh wrote:
Quote:
The Seagull may be a joke, but I still wished FourThirds was designed like that from the start, the way the Panasonic L1 was designed with an actual aperture ring and shutter wheel...but it's too expensive, but if I win the lottery I'd buy the L1 and its lenses just to have that manual control.

I hate having to select the aperture and shutter speed electronically by pushing buttons, as the SLR camera I used for 20 years had fully manual controls, and to me it's more intuitive rather than dealing with priority modes and exposure value compensation.
Hi Mike,

Much as I appreciate what your saying, having grown up with a 35mm SLR,I'm afraid that the great majority of buyers of a fully manual camera would be people a "little long in the tooth" like us and there simply wouldn't be enough sales to sustain the FourThirds design. If Olympus would come out with a fully manual digital camera, it would be, I'm sure, prohibitively (to me) expensive due to small sales volume.

In the meantime, I have fun using both the Oly digital lenses - when I chase after my grandkidsand a variety of OM legacy or Konica Hexanon lenses when I get the urge to go back in time.

regards,

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 11:25 PM   #12

I don't want to get too far off track (this is the Olympus DSLR forum, after all), but are Sony-branded lenses on new Sony DSLRs still actually Minolta lenses? When I say are they Minolta, I mean are they produced by the original camera unit Sony purchased from Konica Minolta a few years ago. Or are they an entirely different animal made by Sony or a Sony subcontractor with Zeiss being the real good stuff?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 6:23 AM   #13

Hi,

Not to send you to the Sony forum, but that's a question better posted in that particular forum.

And, I think that Jim C, the moderator, would probably be the go to guy on your question as I believe he is a long time user of Minolta cameras and now the Sony DSLR.

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 6:24 AM   #14

Biro wrote:
Quote:
I don't want to get too far off track (this is the Olympus DSLR forum, after all), but are Sony-branded lenses on new Sony DSLRs still actually Minolta lenses? When I say are they Minolta, I mean are they produced by the original camera unit Sony purchased from Konica Minolta a few years ago. Or are they an entirely different animal made by Sony or a Sony subcontractor with Zeiss being the real good stuff?
as far as we're concerned here, you have to go back to mc/md mount to get a 'rokkor/minolta, or AR hexanon/konicalens.

Sony dSLR, Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum might be get you some info. i doubt that crop of lenses hasanything in common with the old rokkor & hexanon's, optically or mechanically.

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 6:52 AM   #15
Administrator

Minolta abandoned the MC/MD mount in 1985 with the launch of the Maxxum 7000, and a new line of Autofocus Lenses using a new lens mount. I've got a couple of these now (bought mostly to get the AF lenses that came with them in a package). For example, I bought a Maxxum 7000 with a 50mm f/1.7 AF lens and a Minolta 1800AF flash for $49; and I bought another one from keh.com including a Minolta 35-70mm f/4 Macro AF lens for only $52 (and the bodies and lenses work fine).

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...um7k/index.htm

One nice thing about Minolta Autofocus lenses is that they've been around for a while, and they're readily available. Vendors like keh.com, bhphotovideo.com and adorama.com usually have hundreds of used Minolta Autofocus lenses in stock (usually more than they have in Nikon or Canon Autofocus lenses).

A lot of the lenses in the Sony lineup have the same design as some of the Minolta Autofocus Lenses, and are probably made in the same factories (I don't have any way of knowing that for sure, but they were probably just rebranded for Sony with no other changes and made in the same factories)

For example, the Sony 35mm f/1.4G, 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/2.8 Macro, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm STF, 300mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8 (and more) are the same designs as Minolta Autofocus Lenses.

But, some of the lenses are either new designs (for example, the Zeiss lenses), or lenses that appear to be using a Tamron optical design (for example, the 28-75mm f/2.8, 18-200mm, 18-250mm and some of other DT series lenses). But, Sony did appear to improve on some of the Tamron designs (for example, the Sony 18-250mm is geared for faster Autofocus with less turns of the focus screw, with rounded aperture blades, better build quality and different coatings)

Here's a chart that you can look at to compare some of the lenses. It's realtively obvous which Sony lenses are Minolta designs if you look through the charts at specs for both.

Ooops.... wrong link. Here's the chart:

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/lenses.php?lg=e

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 7:22 AM   #16

hi Jim, i have a MD Rokkor (leica)35-70mm f/3.5, as well as the zeiss c/y counterpart. really enjoythem on a e1. you getting any rain? dry as a bone here.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 7:38 AM   #17
Administrator

My brother-in-law has a Minolta SRT-101 with a nice collection of lenses (and a lot of very nice photos hanging on the walls from it). Every once in a while, I've been tempted to get an adapter so I could borrow some of them to use on my Maxxum 5D and Sony A700. But, I've already acquired a number of Minolta Autofocus lenses now (28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro, etc.). So, I probably won't get an adapter.

We'll probably get some rain this weekend here from the forecast I see.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote