Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 11, 2008, 3:49 PM   #11

Nice birdies Steve. At least they sat still for you. I like the old bird on the left, is that an old F86 or Super Saber.

Ted, get no argument from me about Eagles and Robins. (I wasin the Paras. Jumped out of a lot of good ones.)
Even if your Robin is a Thrush...! :-)Nice pic though.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 5:05 PM   #12

Hi Ted and Scouse: Honored to be talking with submariners and paratroopers.

(I got to admit, I don't think I could jump out of a perfectly good airplane, and I couldn't serve in submarines as I like to sleep with the windows open.)

Anyway, I think Scouse is right, from that angle it does look more like a thrush than a Robin.

Yes, the old jet in the photo is an F86 Sabre. Here is another shot I took of it in flight. It's not a very good shot from a technical aspect, but the better looking shots did not have the perfect formation of this one.
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 7:22 PM   #13

Still a nice pic though. The P51 with the Roller motor and the Sabre I recognize, after that they all look too similar.

As for the Robin/Thrush I was just trying to be funny. (Har Har)This is a robin
Not my photo.

I think when America was first settled any bird with a red breast was a robin
Old May 12, 2008, 4:43 PM   #14

Hi Scouse

Shooting birds of prey or any birds is just way too hard for my liking but to have the opportunity to do so for free is just someting else. that tree shot is a cracker by the way.

Steve, you just cant beat the old WWII aircraft - the P51D is just way to special and even to do this day is pretty close to perfection.First time I've actually seen a saber in the air or on a runway.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 6:51 PM   #15

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I think when America was first settled any bird with a red breast was a robin
And that would include me (grin)

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2008, 6:59 PM   #16

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Steve, you just cant beat the old WWII aircraft - the P51D is just way to special and even to do this day is pretty close to perfection.
And it was in many ways responsible for winning WW2 since it protected the bombers, which no previous Allied fighter had the range or power to do. But with that power it was, and is, a bear to fly. Required someone much younger than me...

Ted

Old May 12, 2008, 7:19 PM   #17

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Steve, you just cant beat the old WWII aircraft - the P51D is just way to special and even to do this day is pretty close to perfection.
And it was in many ways responsible for winning WW2 since it protected the bombers, which no previous Allied fighter had the range or power to do. But with that power it was, and is, a bear to fly. Required someone much younger than me...

Ted

That power came from the roller merlin engine, originally it was equiped with a Grumman but it had pretty poor performance. From then on it became the best fighter at the end of the war and a real comfort to those bomber crews.

TED! Someone younger than you! How old are you? Boy I was only 7 years old when WWII ended.....:-):-)

OK another bad joke, I quit.

I still get excited when I see the Spitfire, towards or after the war they changed some from the Merlin engine to a Griffin. From what I've read 'that' was a real beast. They say if you reved too hard on the tarmac you could turn the plane over. Now that's power.

Old May 12, 2008, 7:58 PM   #18

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
That power came from the roller merlin engine, originally it was equiped with a Grumman but it had pretty poor performance. From then on it became the best fighter at the end of the war and a real comfort to those bomber crews.

TED! Someone younger than you! How old are you? Boy I was only 7 years old when WWII ended
I was born 3 years after the war ended but by the timeI learned to fly planes I was already too old to control the torque of thatMerlin supercharged engine. And was smart enough to dissuadeany P51 owner crazy enough to let me fly one, from doing so. From an early age I did want to live long...

Scouse wrote:

Quote:
I still get excited when I see the Spitfire, towards or after the war they changed some from the Merlin engine to a Griffin. From what I've read 'that' was a real beast. They say if you reved too hard on the tarmac you could turn the plane over. Now that's power.
I didn't know there was a more powerful engine than that Roller - that's pretty scary. But as a British car afficionado (and having suffered the reliability pains that entailed over the years) I do take pleasure in knowing they made an engine that could flip a plane on the tarmac.

Ted

Old May 12, 2008, 9:23 PM   #19

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Scouse wrote:
Quote:

TED! Someone younger than you! How old are you? Boy I was only 7 years old when WWII ended
I was born 3 years after the war ended but by the timeI learned to fly planes I was already too old to control the torque of thatMerlin supercharged engine. And was smart enough to dissuadeany P51 owner crazy enough to let me fly one, from doing so. From an early age I did want to live long...

Scouse wrote:

Quote:
I didn't know there was a more powerful engine than that Roller - that's pretty scary. But as a British car afficionado (and having suffered the reliability pains that entailed over the years) I do take pleasure in knowing they made an engine that could flip a plane on the tarmac.

Ted
I was a grubby aircraft mechanic for years working for different airlines around the world. A friend and I had a deal with a doctor in LA who had a plane, we'd maintain it for him and use it for free. It was fun taking dates to Catalina Island for lunch, always impressed them or we'd go skiing up at Big Bear and call in for a taxi to the slopes on approach. I never got my licence though, I was too lazy, I left that to Dave.

Did my last sky dive when I was a young guy of 60.

Here's some info on the Spit. http://www.flyingzonedirect.com/airc...itfiremk18.htm

I know what you mean about British cars...! Had this 1938 MG......

Old May 12, 2008, 10:40 PM   #20

...............I've been pretty quiet lately with 'monkey business' (boring, nothing to do and I don't chase tornados) so I am enjoying reading this thread.

I have never made a good photo of any BIF but for this old buzzard; because they soar so slowly I can find them.

So, my 'Tarrant county Texas eagle', I hope it fits with the thread.
_________
boBBrennan

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote