Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 12, 2008, 11:05 PM   #21

Interesting discussion fellows. In my travels, I never miss an airshow or an air museum. I've got shots of aircraft both old and new. The shot of the Mustang, Sabre, Falcon, and Eagle was at MacDill Air Force base in Tampa last year. I guess what started this was Scouse talking about eagles; and while I have a lot of real bird shots, the only eagle shots I have is of the F-15.

(Hey Bob: I like your Buzzard, but keep him in Texas, we have enough turkey buzzards in Florida!)

Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 12:26 PM   #22

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Interesting discussion fellows. In my travels, I never miss an airshow or an air museum. I've got shots of aircraft both old and new. The shot of the Mustang, Sabre, Falcon, and Eagle was at MacDill Air Force base in Tampa last year. I guess what started this was Scouse talking about eagles; and while I have a lot of real bird shots, the only eagle shots I have is of the F-15.

(Hey Bob: I like your Buzzard, but keep him in Texas, we have enough turkey buzzards in Florida!)

Hi Bob, Nice photo, we get those guy up here in the summer months. Amazing how many people will tell you that they've just seen "Eagles" when they go over.

Steve, I know that guy! I've just chased him off my fish pond. Nice capture, keep him down there.

I like the air shows, we have a local flyin here every year and they bring in some of the oldies. I used to do some volunteer work on a couple of the oldies, a PBY Catalina when I was in Long Beach and an old Ryan hanging in The Museum of Flight at Boeing Field here. Nice place to visit.

Saw the Spruce Goose a while back in McMinville Oregon and had a walk onboard, that was fun and they had all the other good old birds there as well.

There's something about aircraft isn't there?

Here's my alltime Fav. complete with '2' Merlin's (Not my photo) Hmm, won't let me show it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ito_600pix.jpg

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 5:57 PM   #23

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
It was fun taking dates to Catalina Island for lunch, always impressed them
I'll bet your word "impressed" has a broad meaning. (grin)

If you ever get to the Washington DC area, get to the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at the south end of Dulles airport. It's a huge building created to house the aircraft ans spacecraft collection they never had room to show at the Air & Space museum on the mall.

And I do mean Space - they actually have a Space Shuttle (which they insist on calling an Orbiter) there. It never went into space - it was the mule they used to test the design's glide characteristics and how the combination of it mounted on the 747 would fly when transported across the country. Nevertheless it's really impressive - a lot larger than I had imagined just from seeing the TV clips of the Shuttle landing. Seeing it up close makes you realize the size of it's cargo bay, which can hold a full-size metropolitan bus. Also they have a SR-71 Blackbird. And a Concorde...

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I know what you mean about British cars...! Had this 1938 MG......
I had a '67 MGB from '71 to '85 - after I learned how to tune the carbs it was a heck of a lot of fun, and in those days you could find places to take it up to top speed...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:04 PM   #24

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
Scouse wrote:
Quote:
It was fun taking dates to Catalina Island for lunch, always impressed them
I'll bet your word "impressed" has a broad meaning. (grin)

If you ever get to the Washington DC area, get to the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center at the south end of Dulles airport. It's a huge building created to house the aircraft ans spacecraft collection they never had room to show at the Air & Space museum on the mall.

And I do mean Space - they actually have a Space Shuttle (which they insist on calling an Orbiter) there. It never went into space - it was the mule they used to test the design's glide characteristics and how the combination of it mounted on the 747 would fly when transported across the country. Nevertheless it's really impressive - a lot larger than I had imagined just from seeing the TV clips of the Shuttle landing. Seeing it up close makes you realize the size of it's cargo bay, which can hold a full-size metropolitan bus. Also they have a SR-71 Blackbird. And a Concorde...

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I know what you mean about British cars...! Had this 1938 MG......
I had a '67 MGB from '71 to '85 - after I learned how to tune the carbs it was a heck of a lot of fun, and in those days you could find places to take it up to top speed...

Ted
One of these days..... I need to visit the Smithsonian, there are so many areas of it I need to spend time in, not the least being the aircraft exhibits at Dulles. Like everyone else at the time the space program was forfront. I was on a KLM flight from LA to Amsterdam when we heard of the moon landing, so had to take a photo of the moon from the plane window.:-)

The Museum of flight in Seattle here has a Blackbird, a fine specimin of titanium and.......loose rivets! That thing must have rattled until it got upto speed and got hot...really hot!
Is two bloody big jets held together with titanium something akin to two RR Merlins held together with plywood. Maybe in it's day..:-)

In '68 when I first arrived in LA, my best buddy had an MGBGT we used to thrash that about there. Fun car.

Mine was a model MG SA a looked a lot like the TD but a full 5 seater. It was one of 50 build for a police department in Britain. Had a police Woolsey straight 6 with OH cams and looong stroke narrow pistons. You could start of in 4th and run all the way up to 114mph. It never had a rag top, couldn't afford one but we did carry umbrellas.

We had 7 in the car once, 2 in the front buckets, 3 on the bench and 2 sitting on the back seat backs between the 3. And a police car tucked in behind! He followed for a while so every time we turned left 7 hands would indicate left, same going right. They finally pulled me over asks for license and insurance walks around and then the Sergeant leans over and says. "Let me have a drive"..........as he was going down the road, I'm yelling "Pump the brakes, pump the brakes.....!

Ah the good old days.
Old May 14, 2008, 10:33 PM   #25

"".......The Museum of flight in Seattle here has a Blackbird, a fine specimin of titanium and.......loose rivets! That thing must have rattled until it got upto speed and got hot...really hot!.."

Hi Scouse: Yes, the reason for the joint gaps was precisely that: heat. The SR-71's skingot VERY hot because of the friction of the high speed airflow over it.Kelly Johnson and the Skunk Works team had to have the big gapswhen cool, so the joints would all fit together when flying at high speed. In fact, on the ground, the tanks leaked a lot of aviation fuel, and the Blackbird usuallydid aquick air to air refuel to top off it's tanks after it was airborne.

(I was going to insert one of my photos of the SR71, but I'm so senile I forgot that they are all 35mm prints. One of these days I'm going to scan more photos into my computer!!

:?

Old May 15, 2008, 5:56 AM   #26

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
In fact, on the ground, the tanks leaked a lot of aviation fuel, and the Blackbird usuallydid aquick air to air refuel to top off it's tanks after it was airborne.
That's correct and they actually only filled the tanks part way on the ground.

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
I was going to insert one of my photos of the SR71, but I'm so senile I forgot that they are all 35mm prints.
Hah! That's exactly what happened to me - I was going to add a photo of the Blackbird in Tucson until I realized it's on a slide...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 10:43 AM   #27

Fun conversation!

Both your posts brought up another topic that's been on my mind for a while. "Slides and Photos" I have a chest filled with slides, boxes of Agfa, Kodachrome and filledcarousels from some long defunct slide projectors. As well as boxes of photographs with loose negs sticking out of them...!

What I need is a good slide and neg scanner (price is an issue of course) .....Oh, and "time" (One would think at my age I'd have all the time in the world:!

I keep saying "One of these long miserable winters, I'll cloister myself and do just that" Turns out there's always something else to do. Like right now I'm hanging sheetrock in my basement, got plans for an English pub and a photography room, in order of priorities......Oh, and Sharon wants a proper laundyroom!

Any suggestions on equipement..... for scanning not laundry??? (I know you can't help with the time. :-))

I'll take a trip over to the scanner threads as well.

Looks like one way to go and the least expensive, (important.) Is the Epson V500. I'll take a better look this winter.

Old May 15, 2008, 10:21 PM   #28

Scouse: Check out ScanCafe. Here is an article on them from Pop Photography:

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphoto...cent-scan.html It may be an option for you over buying expensive equipment for your slides and negatives.

It seems to me that I read an article some months ago about setting up your dSLR to take shots of prints in lieu of a scanner. Seems I remember something about mounting the prints under glare resistant glass and mounting the camera directly overhead. when done right, it apparently gave better resolution than scanners. I'm not able to do a search for it now, however. I'm traveling and stuck in a hotel in Cincinnati with a very slow Internet connection.

(p.s:-- My wife's name is alsoSharon, and I know what it's like when the missus decides she needs something. Good luck!!!)
Old May 16, 2008, 12:05 AM   #29

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Scouse: Check out ScanCafe. Here is an article on them from Pop Photography:

http://www.popphoto.com/popularphoto...cent-scan.html It may be an option for you over buying expensive equipment for your slides and negatives.

It seems to me that I read an article some months ago about setting up your dSLR to take shots of prints in lieu of a scanner. Seems I remember something about mounting the prints under glare resistant glass and mounting the camera directly overhead. when done right, it apparently gave better resolution than scanners. I'm not able to do a search for it now, however. I'm traveling and stuck in a hotel in Cincinnati with a very slow Internet connection.

(p.s:-- My wife's name is alsoSharon, and I know what it's like when the missus decides she needs something. Good luck!!!)

Sending the slides to India, 24 cents a pop. Doesn't sound like a bad idea right now, I might look at that.

Just went and had a look at their website, pretty impressive. http://www.scancafe.com
You send them your slides, they scan @ 3000dpi and clean them up afterwards. Then they post them on line for you to check out and you're allowed to refuse up to 50% of them if you decide you don't like them...Or if your ex wife shows up in the corner of one.......Ooops! different story. :? Then they send them back on a DVD. Hmmm.

As for taping my slides to the window and waiting for the sun to hit them just right...I don't know...:-)Maybe with continuous AF on burst you could cover a whole lot quickly.

Old May 16, 2008, 9:37 PM   #30

Scouse: you stirred my memory with the comment about slides. I remember that they used to make Slide duplicator tubes for 35 mm cameras; I had forgotten all about them. A quick search on e-bay reveals dozens for sale. All we need is to buy a slide dup tube and use an adapter for the 4/3 system. Boy, I can't believe I forgot about that. With a modern digital camera the job should be a snap!!

And when I get a chance and a better hotel Internet connection, I'm going to search for articles about using a dSLR for copying prints. I seem to remember that the right set-up gave excellent results.