Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2008, 10:30 PM   #31

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
Scouse: you stirred my memory with the comment about slides. I remember that they used to make Slide duplicator tubes for 35 mm cameras; I had forgotten all about them. A quick search on e-bay reveals dozens for sale. All we need is to buy a slide dup tube and use an adapter for the 4/3 system. Boy, I can't believe I forgot about that. With a modern digital camera the job should be a snap!!

And when I get a chance and a better hotel Internet connection, I'm going to search for articles about using a dSLR for copying prints. I seem to remember that the right set-up gave excellent results.
And you've just stired my memory....

Duh! I have one of those things!!!
Varo-dupliscope or dupli-varoscope or something.

I must have bought it some 25 years ago and the damned thing never did a decent job for me. But then, that was in the days when I had to load film, Set up the thingy,sort outa light source, take the shots, send them for processing and find out you never did get the light right......."Fool-of-a-rig!"

Now (as you say) "Enter the world of DSLR" Setup the camera on my heavy duty tripod (I swear it's made of scaffolding) and a good light source. I have the OM converter. It wouldn't take a lot of experimenting totuneit right. Hmmmmm.

Now all I have to do is find the thing, I know I've seen it in recent memory. This millennium even. I'll let you know.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 7:45 PM   #32

Well SteveR here it is.
Amazing the amount of 'stuff' one carries around. I bought this when I lived in LA in the 70's, since then it's seen Utah, Oregon and now Washington, 6homes ago!

Look at writingon the the bottom ring here. My first SLR.

First impressions. Well, size does matter! Especially when talking of sensor size. Yes that's right "double the apparent focal length" So basically you only get part of the shot. Fun huh?

On this thing there are 2 ways to enlarge the slide but none to make it smaller. Well whoodda thunk they'd have needed to back then. Then that plays havoc with the focus and there is no adjustment.

I had to shot these faster than I'd have liked. Got a call and had to go back to the office. So, here are 2 I tried. I didn't even know what they where when I started, I just grabbed the first box that came to hand. Turns out they were from a Rhine cruise I did, back in '78

Old May 19, 2008, 10:28 PM   #33

I went and grabbed a second box of slides and tried again. I got a little tighter with the focussing but not enough to make me happy.

Then there's still the size problem, I'm only getting about 1/4 of the slide. A way to fix the size is to cut down the tube. A little drastic but I won't be using it anyway. I figure I'd have to cut 3/4 inch to downsize it enough.

Then there's the problem that most of us who post here have forgotten all about...."Dust" Yes, black specks all over.

So my conclusions are.....Don't be tight, pay the 24 cents to get a proper job done without all the hassle. I've only looked at 6 or so slides and taken far too long over it. Let the pro's do it!

So here we are, 1979 in Western Nepal Backcountry. Before the big influx of tourists and of the Maoists. A truely remarkable place. We were on the trail for a month living on rice, yak meat, the odd chicken and eggs when we could them and for a treat potatoes!

This is Machupichere or Fishtail mountain. Pretty close to 8,000 metres. You're not allowed to set foot on top, it's sacred. So climbers stop just below the summit.

OM2 600mm f8 Vivitar mirror, at sunset (1200mm with the 4/3 sensor effect)

OM2 600mm with an OM 2x doubler. (2400mm with the 4/3 sensor effect)

Anapurna with the 600. (1200---4/3)A nice hunk of glass to carry up and down those hills!

When I get the slides done, I'll put up a slide show of life on the trail in Nepal.

Ken
Old May 19, 2008, 10:43 PM   #34

Very interesting! I notice that your slide duplicator seems at least twice as long as the newer models for sale on e-bay. Since they only cost about $25 it may be worth a shot to compareforimprovement over your setup. And you wouldn't have to cut down your setup. (Though I tend to agree with you about the 24 cent service.)

Very interesting shots of the mountains. We would love to see more of those shots.

Steve R
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 1:23 AM   #35

Hey Scouse,

Hard luck bud, but you seem to have made the best of the situation. Nice shots regardless.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2008, 5:25 PM   #36

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
Even if your Robin is a Thrush...! :-)Nice pic though.
Either way, three weeks ago he was an egg...

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 12:00 PM   #37

"A rose buy any other name"......is still a robin!

Nice photo Ted, I like the natural camaflage look. He is a new one isn't he?
Old May 25, 2008, 5:23 PM   #38

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
"A rose buy any other name"......is still a robin!

Nice photo Ted, I like the natural camaflage look. He is a new one isn't he?
Hi, Scouse

Yes, if you go up on this thread to my May 11 post with the photo of mommy sitting on her nest, I believe the eggs had not hatched yet. This photo was taken the day the baby started to fly. That morning he was hopping around in my small fenced-in back yard and the photo was taken in late afternoon when he was sitting in a tree just behind my back yard. I ran up to get the camera and he still was there, and the camo look was simply because I couldn't move around without scaring him off - he was already suspicious of the camera and long telephoto.

It was an interesting shoot.The sun was close to setting so the light level was low, and there was a slow breeze that was moving the branches.I had to shoot the ZD 50-200mm at close to wide open at a slow shutter speed for the breeze (1/160). But the interesting thing is that the E3's autofocus dealt with the situation just fine.(That oldissue of whether the E3 can autofocus is once again, not an issue.)

Ted

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 7:18 PM   #39

H Ted: You should be proud of that shot at full telephoto in a breeze at only 1/160 sec. I'm sure that I would have had to use a higher speed. Good job!

And also a thanks to Scouse you started this thread. Overall, it's covered a lot of territory, and turned into one of the more interesting threads. It's like the Energize Bunny: it just keeps going & going!!

Steve R.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 10:14 PM   #40

Mmmm 50-200 (That was supposed to sound like a longing Homer Simpson) Nice lens.

To keep the thread revolving and still on the Boid thingie.

This guy showed up in our yard a couple of days ago. I finally got close enough for a shot when I had my camera handy. 40-150

I'm guessing (with the help of my trusty bird book) that it's a Northern Bobwhite Quail. Trouble is their natural areas are the South West. Then I noticed what looks like a plastic ring in it's top "lip." I'm not thinking that this is some sort of fashion statement or fetish. But then we have a family who moved into the neighbourhood last year and their yard is a dead car art collection. He was banging something up last week (Starting at 5:30am) and we thought it was a chicken coop. I think what we have in our yard is an escapee from Stalag 17 (or Chicken Run)

Anyone know what the ring is for
Attached Images