Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 8, 2008, 9:17 PM   #1

I get home early today so took the camera for a walk down to the local park. I'd seen them flying over lately and I know they hang around the park, so I though I'd try my luck. I didn't see any when I first went down but just as I got to the boat ramp a couple flew in chatting to each other, one flew on but one settled up in the highest tree from me.....

I thought if take a short walk up the cliff path (about a mile) I might just get close enough. (The eternal optimist) So off I went, always hard to keep focussed because of the diverse photo ops up there, like the hole in the Madrona tree (Or Manzanita or if you're Canadian, Arbutus!).

Or the woodpecker tree, last time I was here'sans' camera, there was a very large piliated woodpecker who almost let me walk right up to him.Not today though...

I got lucky finding the tree with the eagle in but not soo lucky getting 'the' shot. Gives another meaning to "eagle eye" doesn't it? (150mm and cropped in)

He didn't stay around after me hunting him down, so I left as well. Just unloading from the car and noticed thatmy Rhodie was still looking good, so got a last shot.

Didin't get that eagle pic but when I do,,,,,,, you lucky people will be the first to know about it......:-)

Ken

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 10:21 PM   #2

Hi Ken,

Keep trying you'll get that Eagle shot yet. You gotta get the 70-300mm, though.

BTW, not to change gears on you but a possible alternative is an OM135 F2.8 or 135 F3.5 lens coupled with a 2XA convertor. That would get you to 540mm in 35mm equivalence.

regards,

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 1:52 AM   #3

Zig! You just triggered something. My fav portrate lens in my OM2 days (Back in the 70's n 80's) was this Vivitar 135mm 2.8. Loved it! It also worked well with the old OM doubler.

So, the question is: Will that combo work with the 4/3 adapter on my E500???

Hmm, just found the lens in my old backpack but I don't remember when I last saw the doubler, think it's a gonner! I don't know if I want to pay that much for the new 2x.
Attached Images

Old May 9, 2008, 5:44 AM   #4

Hi Ken,

The 135mm Vivatar with a 2XA OM conv. mounted to the E-500 using an OM adapter would work just fine. Not having ever used the vivitar, I can't speak to it's IQ. I have the 135mm F3.5 OM lens which is really apretty good lens.

When using this kind of combo, you'd have to have a steady hand on the E-500.

BTW, think craig's list or EBay for the 2XA-if you don't find your old one. I picked mine up on EBay for around $25.00

regards,

Zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 9:10 AM   #5

cool, another Komine made lens.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6

zig-123 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Ken,

The 135mm Vivatar with a 2XA OM conv. mounted to the E-500 using an OM adapter would work just fine. Not having ever used the vivitar, I can't speak to it's IQ. I have the 135mm F3.5 OM lens which is really apretty good lens.

When using this kind of combo, you'd have to have a steady hand on the E-500.

BTW, think craig's list or EBay for the 2XA-if you don't find your old one. I picked mine up on EBay for around $25.00

regards,

Zig

I got some nice results with that lens back then. (Wanna see my 900 slides of Nepal...???) Some nice candid people shots because it's long enough you don't have to poke the camera up the subjects nose. Looks like I'll have to go to EBay for the 2XA.

As for steady hand, I'm going to have to try a monopod, I'm pretty steady and was a marksman with a rifle but even with the 150 I can tell I'm pushing it. If I manage the 70-300 I'll really need one. I know what wroniak! means when he says tele is not for everyone, it's only as good as you.

OK Gwillie, ya got me. Wat's a Komine..??

Old May 9, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7

Just had a quick look on Amazon and found this:... T-Mount Adapter for Olympus Evolt System E1, E-510, E-500, E-410, E-330, E-300.

I just happen to have a Celestron 5" telescope. That might get me in close enough...:-)

Old May 10, 2008, 10:56 PM   #8

Hi Scouse: You may not have gotten the eagle shot you wanted, but I really like the shots you got. Especially the tree with the hole in it - very unusual, and excellent blend of colors between the green shrubs and the colorful bark.

However, since you wanted some eagle shots, I thought I would share a few of my bird shots.

Hereis a shot I took of apair of nesting Eagles:
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 10:57 PM   #9

And here is my shot of a very rare bird. :-)
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2008, 2:52 PM   #10

Steven R wrote:
Quote:
And here is my shot of a very rare bird.

Well OK, I don't have any Eagles here, but I do have an expectant motherRobin (E-3 withan Oly 50mm F2). It took us a while to get her comfortable with us going in and out our back door, but she's still suspicious of a DSLR.

But don't you give me any grief about Eagles versus Robins - us ex-Navy nuclear submariners don't feel we need to take a back seat to any flyboy (wide grin).

Ted

PS: I loveyourwarbird photos

Attached Images

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote