Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 13, 2008, 3:12 AM   #1

Oly's just released/announced the 520 and the new UWA

http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html#oly_e520

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ol...ew/index.shtml

http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1210651262.html

Haven;t checked teh specs or the press release.

The UWA

"The Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm f.4.0-f5.6 will be available in the fall of 2008. The estimated street price will be $599.99."

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2008, 11:33 AM   #2

So, it's here. Just what we were discussing a week or so ago. "If we have an E420 can the 520 be far behind?"

I'll have to look into the differences, but the way the real estate market is going right now, that's all I can do....look! The nice thing is, when the market improves they'll have worked out all the bugs and the price will be better.

But then we'll be on the 550....:-)

The only thing I really miss at the moment with the 500 is the IS, other than that I really like this camera. Wish Tamron and Sigma put their compact zooms with IS in a 4/3 auto mode. (They like to pander to the Nikon/Canon crowd.) Their ads in "Outdoor Tog" always attract me.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3

hi guys
i think the 520 will be a pretty good camera, its going to be a lot more convincing in the market than 510 was, which was released just 53 weeks ago today. If 520 is at all like 420 and i suspect it is, it seems like the DR thing will be more like E3, and the tonal curve in jpeg has more roll-off on it. These were the major complaints about 510/410, and now to boot there are some additional features and a larger LCD.

Since it lacks what some people were seeking, articulated LCD and the larger OVF, im a little more optimistic that E-30 is out there, perhaps late this yr or next March.

The 9-18 is really what Im hanging out for, it should be very good for RE as its cheaper and about perfect zoom range, i just hope the IQ holds up.

I guess things are very slow for you scouse, its slowed here too but we are 'off' season and on are way to winter. Since the fields are green again there are some farm properties hitting the market which are keeping me busy. The banks havent started reposessions yet but i fear it will be coming for a few. Mostly employment is holding so it wont be a lot.

Im very comfortable with E3 right now but Im looking at some toys to keep me amused. Ive grabbed a split ND filter off ebay so that i can hold skies better when shooting upsun, i should have it in a week, and i scored a Konica Hexanon AR 57/F1.2 for about US$150 and cant wait to play

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 5:01 PM   #4

Hi All,

To follow up on Harj's post, Fourthirds photo.com has a press release andAUDIO interview with Richard Pelkowski, the DSLR Product Manager at Olympic USA regarding the specific differences between the E-520 and E-420.

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/e520/

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2008, 5:10 PM   #5

Rriley wrote:
Quote:
Since it lacks what some people were seeking, articulated LCD and the larger OVF, im a little more optimistic that E-30 is out there, perhaps late this yr or next March.

The 9-18 is really what Im hanging out for, it should be very good for RE as its cheaper and about perfect zoom range, i just hope the IQ holds up.

Riley
Hi,

I agree, based on what I've read to date, As I have the E-510, I think my upgrade path would be to hold out for the E-3plus.

The 9-18mm lens at around $599 US, now there's something that I'd like to see more info on.

Zig

Old May 13, 2008, 7:38 PM   #6

Hi Guys

I think the E520/420 is going to be ideal for any one starting off with a DSLR - esp as theyre now tweaked like the E3 for IQ. I don;t think anyone was expecting a big jump from the E510, whcih as we all know is a fine camera.

I agree with Riley, that I think there will be an E3X or something similar but I'm not sure how Oly would pitch it without it eating into the E3's sales, esp if its slightly smaller and has a smilar VF/AF system to the E3.

The new UWA and its pricing is going to be really interesting. I can see it selling very well, I'm just hoping its as good as the 11-22 (IQ and sharpness) and if its then they've done a fab job.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 6:02 PM   #7

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I agree with Riley, that I think there will be an E3X or something similar but I'm not sure how Oly would pitch it without it eating into the E3's sales, esp if its slightly smaller and has a smilar VF/AF system to the E3.
I'm confused here. Why would Oly add another cam to their line, which already covers a wide range? I.e. what niche would an E3X fit, that the existing cams don't fill? Who is asking for another cam?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 8:17 PM   #8

hi all,don't post here much but this is my home page when my browser starts up,so i read parts of it everyday,i have to agree i'm not sure about the 520,it seems to me that the 520 is largely just programing upgrades (i could be wrong),but my point is why not just offer those who already own 510's what just seems to be a firmware update.don't get me wrong i am an avid e-system user i have an e-300,e-500,e-510,several lenses and asap i will be buying an e-3 or its equal at the time i gather the funds to do so,but the three i already own were all significant jumps in technology,resulting in my purchasing them,the e-520 does not seem to have any stellar new technology.back to my gripe i hope olympus is not jumping on the train alot of other companies are taking like adobe photoshop (which i also used to be a very avid fan of) and changing the name on something, they make minor tweaks to something that already exists, then want to charge several hundread dollars or more for something they should be providing as support of their current product in the first place.i am still a gung-ho user of olympus products,i just hope the coming years don't prove my "theory" that customer services & support is fading from olympus as it has from other companies.
on a lighter note bring on the 9-18mm this is a lens i would love to have.
p.s. to date have not had problem with oly cust service.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 9:36 PM   #9

cshanaberger wrote:
Quote:
hi all,don't post here much but this is my home page when my browser starts up,so i read parts of it everyday,i have to agree i'm not sure about the 520,it seems to me that the 520 is largely just programing upgrades (i could be wrong),but my point is why not just offer those who already own 510's what just seems to be a firmware update

Hi,

After reading the press releases and listening to the audio interview with the product manager from Oly, I believe you're right, most of the upgrades/changes seem to be on the firmware side.

As for why Olympus just doesn't offer these as firmware upgrades to E-510 owners- I think it's due to the pressure to keep introducing newer,better, faster, etc DSLR cameras to keep up with competitive releases.

Harj hit it on the head when he mentioned that the E-520 was pointed towards the entry-mid level segment of the market. This is apparantly, from what i've read, a huge market as users' of point and shoot digicams upgrade to DSLRS. I guess, in order to keep the name out in front in the magazines, press releases and in the minds of the public, manufacturer's (Olympus included)are having to keep introducing new DSLR cameras.

Here's are segment of an article that was released by PMA, an industry marketing company, back a few months ago. It, I think, helps explain why all the big camera companies keep churning out new DSLR products.

Data Watch: Digital SLR camera sales in the U.S. continue to grow
Posted by Kristy Clairmont at 3/17/2008 10:00 AM and is filed under PMA Data Watch ]http://pmaforesight.com//2008/03/17/data-watch-digital-slr-camera-sales-in-the-us-continue-to-grow/print.aspx'][/url]
DSLR camera sales in the United States grew at a steady pace this past year despite a slowdown in sales growth of digital cameras as a whole. DSLR sales exceeded expectations in 2006, reaching more than 1.6 million units. In 2007, PMA Marketing Research found sales grew beyond 2 million units, representing a 32 percent increase compared to the previous year.
DSLR cameras were once a product mostly available through retailers and maufacturers who targeted professional photographers willing and able to pay the high price. DSLRs now come in all types of model levels aimed at all types on consumers. The prices have also dropped dramatically as the megapixels and new features have increased. Additionally, DSLRs are available online, through mass retail outlets (including some office supply stores), and at specialty retailers. They are penetrating not only the advanced amateur segment but also a good portion of the general consumer market once using point-and-shoot cameras.
As camera features continue to be enhanced and prices steadily decline, consumers will likely keep replacing film cameras with digital cameras and also will likely keep upgrading to newer digital camera models. It is anticipated that they will also be upgrading from point-and-shoot models to DSLR models. It may be possible for consumers to now upgrade to DSLR models for the same price once paid for a compact digital model.
As the market for digital cameras has been nearing maturity, DSLR sales have given it a boost with revenue volumes being greater on these high end models. Competition in the DSLR market has now heightened, however, as all of the key players improve offerings and decrease the entry-level price point, this will inevitably leading to shrinking profit margins in the future. This year revenues are expected to grow at much less than that of unit sales.

Zig
Old May 15, 2008, 12:17 AM   #10

tkurkowski wrote:
Quote:
HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
I'm confused here. Why would Oly add another cam to their line, which already covers a wide range? I.e. what niche would an E3X fit, that the existing cams don't fill? Who is asking for another cam?

Ted
there is early a $1k difference in price between E3 and 520

E3 gets a knock because its heavy and big for a 4/3rds camera, with a complex range of settings many are having trouble getting their head around. I think most people buy for 2 reasons, the generous OVF and the articulated LCD.

I would have preffered that they issue 520 with a large OVF (which is the smallest OVF in the industry) and articulated LCD. So a semi-pro camera sitting in between might better cover the options.

An E30 would be lighter/smaller and have E3 OVF with articulated LCD priced in that void between E520 and E3

Riley
Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote