Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 14, 2008, 7:14 PM   #1

I shot a classic 1940s Hollywood screen siren shoot on the weekend but messed it up by shooting everything in Med res jpegs and only noticing at the end of the shoot! :?

A few things that i noticed with the Med res jepgs - with the F2 they are very sharp even with everything set to low in cam and theres a suprsing amount of detail thats still in the file. The same can;t really be said of the pics with the 14-54 again a noticable difference and this time even more so. With teh jpegs if you mess up theres not much room to fix the files - well with my photoshop skills, esp when blowing the highlights. My composition was off and id say not one of my best shoots.

Only one model - no mUA or stylist. Outfits provided by "Fairy Goth Mother" - really nice and seriously spendy.

1. F

Just goes to show that even if you seriously mess up - and I did as I was supposed to provide HR pics to FGM theres suprsingly a good amount of detail even in the Med-res jpegs straight out of the camera.

Cheers

Harj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2008, 8:03 PM   #2

Hi Harj,

I'm thoroughly impressed!!! for if it were me :?setting up for the shoot with a model such as this waiting for me to get ready, I'm sure I would've forgotten a lot more than the file resolution.

I know I speak for the rest of the forum (male) members when I say that it isa difficult and dangerousmission that youhave undertakenbut someone had to do it.So,we salute you.

Godspeed

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 4:44 AM   #3

great pics Harj, shame about the res., wish i could say i've never done that...

be nice if you could get a job with victoria's secret :?

thats from a 14-35? or 50?
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 10:06 AM   #4

Hi Guys

I always thought the E1's Jpegs were stunning but the e3's really suprised me considering theyre just med res.

Lenswise - just the 35-100 and 14-54. No's. 1, 2 and 4 are with the F2, while No. 3 is the 14-54. The F2 shots don't need any sharpening at all while the 14-54's have had some applied in PShop - 50% USM at 0.5 radius.

Now VS - that would be seriously fun but hard work though. Working in a studio even with a friend helping is really tiring - a bit suprising when you consider it.

Zig thanks for your comment - I'm just cracking on as normal although my focus is sligthly different now although I'm itching to shoot outside of the studio and on location downtown.

Cheers

Harj

Old May 15, 2008, 12:44 PM   #5

hey Harj
frame 4 is seriously 'out there', very well done my friend

you have always had a talent for portraits but..
seems like you are getting in the zone with this gear now

Riley

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 12:50 PM   #6

Hey Harj,

All kidding aside,you certainly have a talentforcreating a great photograph. And as good as the E-3 camera and the Olympuslenses are, it's theperson behind the camera that puts it all together.

I just hope you continue to post your work as time allows.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 2:36 PM   #7

What can I say! As always a beautiful set of photos. Res. aside your composition is superb.

Takethe placement of the model in #4. She's looking over her shoulder but by keeping her over on the right of the frame, you've given her the space andfreedom, if you like, to gaze into it.

Well done Harj, Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 9:02 PM   #8

Very artistic; great job.

All you need some practice with some of the various software out there to work with jpegs. With the right Software, your JPEGS can be very effectively tweaked, and you can get very pleasing prints.

Steve R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 2:46 PM   #9

Hola Guys

Riley, Ken and Steve thanks for the comments on the pics. I'm happy with the what I'm getting, although that wasn;t 100% the case on Sunday until I got home and had a good look at the shots.

I did get some feedback from Fleur the model regards the shoot and that was mainly how to improve for the next shoot. My hit rate this time was a lot lower than in the previous two shoots and a lot of that is being able to direct and communicate well throughout the shoot. Its something that I really do need to work although I have got slightly better at it.

One thing she did point out was that I'm still shooting like a street photographer:

"... technique of posing is based on me pulling a pose, then the photographer snapping 3 or 4 of that, me changing it very slightly each time therefore nailing it in at least 1 of the shots. All this means is I need to get better at nailing it first time...but because you only took one almost every time... "

Now I'm very comfortable as a street shooter, and usually you only get one or two chances to nail a shot and in many ways I feel the same in a studio. However, i don;t know whether that makes the models life a lot harder than it really should be, esp as I've not really seen other photographers in studio shooting and may be its something I need to discuss with them well before hand.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O

Old May 23, 2008, 4:48 PM   #10

Hi Harj

Those are Great shots you definitelystarting to show your talent now.

You starting to work that 35-100mm now.

Keep up the good work
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote