Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 16, 2008, 7:36 AM   #1

Check out the preview of the E520 over at

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/e520/
HarjTT is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 10:32 AM   #2

Looks pretty cool and tempting...But I gotta wait!

I looked at the add for the 'new' 4/3 magazine. Their first issue was an article on the E3. http://fourthirdsphoto.com/magazine.php
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 2:15 PM   #3

My thoughts exactly - looks like the tweaks to the E520 are going to make a very good camera even better. Now what I'm wondering is if some of the improvements could be offered as firmware grades to current E410/520 owners.

Cheers

Harj

Old May 16, 2008, 2:37 PM   #4

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
My thoughts exactly - looks like the tweaks to the E520 are going to make a very good camera even better. Now what I'm wondering is if some of the improvements could be offered as firmware grades to current E410/520 owners.

Cheers

Harj
Now that's an interesting thought, especially for people who have just aquired the 510 and are feeling a little miffed!

I've been in two minds about "Upgrading" from the E500. I love this camera and the photo's it turns out. It still has that "Wow did I take that!" factor. Wrontniak says something similar. But with some of the teething, abet minor problems, that I hear from 510 owners, I still think I'll wait a while.

I'm liking some of those 520 features though.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 3:48 PM   #5

Hi ken

I think some of the new features on the 520 are really cool to have, now if they had improved the AF system to say a 5, 7 or 9 point system or increased the OVF a wee bit more then I think they would be able to sell them like hot cakes.

Mike did have a valid point regards Oly's fw upgrades and that they need to change their approach to issuing them, although how you force them to do that I'm not sure. I suppose an online petition of sorts might help. Oly should issue as many updates that they can for the 410/510 users so that they can get some of the 520's new functionality if at all possible.

Cheers

Harj

Old May 16, 2008, 6:09 PM   #6

3. Underwater case - Underwater housing allows for a whole new world of photography.

I wonder if that'll work for the e-510 too, they look to be about the same size and I don't think one exists for the e-510 currently tho I could be wrong.
Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 6:15 PM   #7

Hi Rileigh

Interesting point - I can't see why you could not use a 510 in the casing.

Cheers

Harj

:? :O
Old May 16, 2008, 6:55 PM   #8

Scouse wrote:
Quote:
I've been in two minds about "Upgrading" from the E500. I love this camera and the photo's it turns out. It still has that "Wow did I take that!" factor. Wrontniak says something similar.
I think Oly makes very good DSLRs (and outstanding lenses). And over time they've produced a few DSLRs that got everything right for the technology at the time. In my experience the E-20 and the E-500 were two such cameras (and folks that used the E-1, like Harj, say the same about it as well).

I bought the E-3 because I wanted better high-ISO performance for indoor available light photography. But if I'm shooting outdoors I grab theE-500, especially with the Leica 14-50mm which gives me IS (as well as tack-sharp photos). I don't get the feeling that the other E-5XX or E-4XX DSLRs are quite in that same got-it-all-right arena (although it's probably too soon to tell about the E-520).

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 6:56 PM   #9

HarjTT wrote:
Quote:
Mike did have a valid point regards Oly's fw upgrades and that they need to change their approach to issuing them, although how you force them to do that I'm not sure. I suppose an online petition of sorts might help. Oly should issue as many updates that they can for the 410/510 users so that they can get some of the 520's new functionality if at all possible.

Mike did indeed have a valid point. I also understand Olympus' need to sell new cameras to pay the bills too.

It would seem to me that a potential compromise would be to release the new firmware upgrades found in the newer cameras i.e. E520 to users of older cameras, a reasonable length of time AFTER the release of the E520. Say 4 to 6 months.

In this way, Oly gets to sell new cameras to those that want them while continuing to provide support to their loyal customers. Who, by the way, continue to be good customers to Oly since we buy all the lenses, converters, flashes ,etc. I bet most of us have spentmore than twice as much for our lenses than we did for the camera.

zig

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote