Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 17, 2008, 5:29 PM   #11
OCD

Seems like you can do an awful lot of juggling with some of the ideas already stated.

The Sigma is 0.2% 'better' if you take into account price? Which means the Leica is 49.8% better than the Sigma in imaging quality because it is twice as expensive? I suppose it also remains 0.2% better only if you get a good one the first time otherwise the time/cost/frustration equation must take the Sigma down a notch or two? DSLR's are problematic? So it means a good lens makes nodifference? Apart I suppose when the next generation of DSLR is releasedcapable of recordingeven better sharpness and resolution, and which can make even more sense of a good lenses? The initial costadvantage of the Sigma now becomes a negative because you need to upgrade from what now looks like junk?

As they rightly say in motor sport 'there ain't no substitute for cubic inches', and likewise in cameras, you can juggle reviews, prices, perceived value, and statistics, but nothing can substitute for the best lens because you are always on the back foot from then on in. I'm not saying everybody can aford a Leica lens, but lets wake up, the Pop Photo SQF is just another way for camera manufacturers to market goods through the mouthpiece of this magazine (and etc)by bulling up lower quality goodsto create sales. And playing with statistics and words to create an SQF is precisely the ruse of a flim flam man when the concept of quality is played around with to make it look bad against an inferior item.

The Leica is the best lens, so if you can't afford it you are going to be buying an inferior lens instead, and no amount of SQF should make youdeluded into thinkingotherwise.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 6:36 PM   #12

thanks OCD. ok, now that thats settled, lets go to the pub & throw back a few brewski's.

:whack:
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 8:42 AM   #13

e1/rokkor 35mm 1.8

Old May 18, 2008, 9:58 AM   #14

hey Ted, thanks for the pic comment. my response re: sqf was'nt directed at you, so i hope your not offended. this has been a fun thread. very informative. thanks for the pdf :-)
Old May 18, 2008, 2:14 PM   #15

No offense taken! I do wish soneone in this forum had the Sigma, though. I'm curious as to whether its optics are as good as PopPhoto says they are.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 3:51 PM   #16

i've seen plenty of pics from the sigma. just another sigma. soft w/o, sharper as its stopped down. not bad, just normal. be interesting to see if the zd 25 is sharper @2.8.
Old May 18, 2008, 7:12 PM   #17

Hi Guys

Interesting post ! Well, I dont have the sigma but from what I've read and seen posted its a pretty decent lens - with good IQ, pretty close to tack sharp by F2.8 but as G stated its a wee bit soft wide open, and for the price I'd say it was very good value for money. The main negatives that I can see are that its not as shapr at f1.4 as it should be and that Sigma's QC lets it down. I've read posts by togs that have had both lenses over at dp and other forums state the there is a clear difference in IQ, feel, sharpness between the 30f1.4 and the the Leica D, with the LEica being the prefered lens.

If you can afford to get the Leica D , I'd get the Leica but I don;t think you can go wrong with the 30mm f1.4, esp for its price.

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 11:18 PM   #18

Rileigh wrote:
Quote:
Very seriously considering purcashing this lens as my first non-kit lens for the e-510. Covers two things that I would be looking for in an additional lens, being that it's a prime lens and has a large aparature for low light shots.

Would mainly be using it for landscape shots, maybe some portraits, and ultimately I would want to use this before the kit lenses in any situation where it might be viable. The question is, for the money is it any good?
yes...there you go...problem solved.:-)
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 7:06 AM   #19

lol, you da man
Old May 19, 2008, 12:34 PM   #20
OCD

Quote:
thanks OCD. ok, now that thats settled, lets go to the pub & throw back a few brewski's.
Regarding your query on the Olympus 25mm pancake at f2.8, this is an example at about the closest focus distance the Oly will go to at8",which is about twice as close as the Sigma and the Leica will go. In keeping with the thread it is a pretty boring picture done for illustration purposes only, and I'm not a rose type person, so you'll have to make do with dying flowers.

Obviously the lens sharpens up quite a bit after f2.8, and backing off the focus to where the Sigma and Leica would at their closest helps improve performance a lot.But to be honest for a standard lens in the Olympus range I don't think the 25mm Pancake does to badlyat the combined extreme ends of thefocus and aperture range.

OCD is offline   Reply With Quote